Fastest production model Jaguar - Kevin
Just received a copy of a glossy magazine/brochure produced by my local Jaguar dealer; as well as an invitation to replace my XJ ;-)

One interesting article in there is about the fastest production model Jaguar, the record being set 17 years ago by Martin Brundle in an XJ 220 at 217.1mph.

On 12th Jan. 2009 an XFR with no changes other than a remapped ECU, modified intake and exhaust system, and revised supercharger settings achieved 225.675mph at Bonneville Salt Flats. Even the auto gearbox and ratios were standard.

Kevin...
Fastest production model Jaguar - the swiss tony
Id hardly say 'a remapped ECU, modified intake and exhaust system, and revised supercharger settings' amount to 'no changes' and surely those modifications take it away from being a 'production model' ?
Fastest production model Jaguar - Armitage Shanks {p}
ISTR that Jaguar took large cash deposits from people who wanted an XJ 220. When it was produced it had a different engine to that quoted in the spec (V8 instead of V12?). Some people tried to refuse delivery and the whole thing ended up messily in the courts and I don't recall the outcome. When I was in Germany in the 70s there was one for sale in a Dutch Jaguar dealership and I have never seen one on the road. Correction - V12 replaced by V6!

www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z518/Jaguar-XJ220.aspx

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/05/2009 at 23:06

Fastest production model Jaguar - Westpig
the refusal to take delivery bit came about because people paid deposits, before the last recession...then came the recession and the cars were worth considerably less, but people had already agreed to purchase
Plus what they ordered (V12) wasn't what was being offered for delivery (V6)
Fastest production model Jaguar - the swiss tony
When I was in Germany in the 70s there was one for sale in a Dutch Jaguar dealership and I
have never seen one on the road.

70's? as it was first shown at the 1988 Brum motor show I dont think you did!
I haven't got the date wrong so it must be my car recognition! Thank you for the polite correction!
Fastest production model Jaguar - Kevin
>Id hardly say 'a remapped ECU, modified intake and exhaust system, and revised supercharger
>settings' amount to 'no changes'

I think you are missing the point slightly.

What they were trying to convey was that the only mechanical changes were different inlet and exhaust systems. They didn't need special pistons, rods, cams, a bigger supercharger or whatever.

>and surely those modifications take it away from being a 'production model' ?

Pedantically correct. I'm pretty sure that they removed the rear seats and boot carpet too.

Kevin...
Fastest production model Jaguar - rogue-trooper
The XJ220 only got to 217mph by removing the cats.
Fastest production model Jaguar - captain chaos
IIRC the XJ220 didn't have power steering or brakes? How much?
Fastest production model Jaguar - Lud
Actually that XJ220 must have been the most disastrous Jaguar model ever. I've only ever seen one on the road and it looked just as messy and useless in the flesh as it did in its mugshots.

Vainglory, my dears. That's the word for it. Ferrari regularly gets away with it but no one else can.

Edited by Lud on 03/05/2009 at 12:30

Fastest production model Jaguar - Westpig
Actually that XJ220 must have been the most disastrous Jaguar model ever. >>

I actually quite liked it..but thought it should have had the V12. The only thing is for me, the door mirrors were hopelessly out of context. They looked like they were an afterthought and someone had forgotten to design something, so they raided a coropoarte parts bin as 'make do'.