water vapour injection sysytems - busker
Ever notice how much smoother your car runs on misty or foggy days? Its because the air drawn into the intake is denser with the water particles in it (I think). I've checked the fuel consumption on my car(old model Mondeo diesel)on days like this, and it is slightly better than on 'normal' days. I'm sure I heard of a system for injecting water into the inlet manifold many years ago. Does anyone know if this idea does work and who markets such a system?
water vapour injection sysytems - Dorian
I had a quick look on www.google.com , typing in the following search criteria:

engine water injection system uk

Quite a few sites turned up, so maybe try there first.
water vapour injection sysytems - M.M
No need even to leave this site Busker, a search above finds...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=1652

I remember we chatted about it last year a few times. Not sure where my post was but I commented this was a Saab approved extra for my old 99 Turbo 2dr, before they had thought about intercoolers I guess.

David W
water vapour injection sysytems - John Davis
Am I the only one old enough to remember or, have I been imagining it ? Did not the WW2 Spitfire & Hurricane, Rolls Royce Merlin engine have some sort of water injection power boost ?
water vapour injection sysytems - BrianW
IIRC correctly the Merlin had a variable boost supercharger, but no water injection.
I believe that the American P47 "Jug" fighter did, though. I believe that use of the injection increased engine wear and it was only supposed to be used sparingly.
water vapour injection sysytems - M.M
Brian and John,

I've pulled this post of Colin's from that thread in the old backroom....

Re: gizmos - Colin M Wed 5 Sep 01 08:55

I used to fly turboprops with old Rolls Royce Dart gas turbine engines. To gain additional power for take off on hot days, there was a water methanol injection system, the water being used to cool and therefore increase the density of the air, and the methanol to replace the lost combustible value of the fuel going in the intake by dilution with the water.

"Water Meth" is commonly available if you have an account with an aviation fuel supplier!

Colin

David W
water vapour injection sysytems - J Bonington Jagworth
Any idea what the proportion of methanol was? I met a chap some 30 years ago who had added a carburettor to his single-cylinder AJS 500, so it had two Amal carbs in tandem, one supplied with petrol and the other with water containing a small amount of alcohol. In this case, the alcohol was simply to improve the flow and atomisation of the mixture (he said). It ran very sweetly, and apparently went 180 miles to one gallon of petrol! The exhaust pipe was also spotless inside, so it would be interesting to know the effect on emissions...
water vapour injection sysytems - PB
At college a friend had an A35 with the 948cc A class engine. He had hooked up a squeezy bottle to the inlet manifold to squirt water in for a bit more power. I never tried it but he assured me it worked. Imagine explaining that when the insurance company asks if there are any modifications.