03 1.8 Steering Noise - Jsp123
When I reverse out of a parking place ? to the left or right - and then turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction and start to move forwards, I hear a single 'grunt' noise (I can't think of a better way to describe it) coming from the front of the car. I hear the same noise when I drive forwards out of a parking place ? again when turning to the left or right. This seems to happen only after the car has been standing for a period of time, i.e. if having heard the noise I re-park the car and then straight away drive out of the parking place, I don't hear it a second time. Could there be a bearing (or something) that is 'sticking' but once freed-off is ok, until the next time the car has been standing for a period of time? Could the power steering pump be on its way out?

Under normal driving conditions, the car steers and drives perfectly well with no unusual noises. The power steering fluid is at the maximum mark and I've not needed to top it up since I've had the car (bought it 3 months ago). It's a 1.8 LX, 53 reg, 39,000 miles and has a 3-month old MOT.

Thanks in anticipation of your help/ideas.