04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - Gaz_Corsa
This may sound stupid but here goes.

What's the difference between inner and outer cv boot's.

I took my car for 2 new front tyres yesterday and the bloke said that my CV boot was leaking. I have read a few posts on her stating that they cost between £20 and £40.

The problem is I dont do mechanics at all and have been quoted £220 by vauxhall to do the job. I am ringing round a few mechanics to price the job up but I keep getting asked if its the inner or outer boots. If I had any idea I could get it sorted!

Fords have told me that it would cost £40 per boot for outer and £70 per boot for inner.

Any help would be welcome
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - Dynamic Dave
Your car has 4 CV joints in total.

Two are described as the inner CV joints - the ones nearest the gearbox.
Two are described as the outer CV joints - the ones nearest the wheel hubs.

The reason you're being asked whether inner or outer is that the outer boots are larger than the inner boots.

I've yet to see a worn inner CV boot on a Vauxhall.
99.9% of the time it's the outer ones that tear as they're subject to more movement by the wheels being turned left/right all the time.
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - Gaz_Corsa
Cheers for that. If its leaking on the inner rim of my alloy wheel I am presuming it will probably be the outer CV. Would I be correct in presuming this and ifone side is leaking would I be best doing both?
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - Dynamic Dave
Yep, that'll be an outer boot. You only need to have the one that is leaking replaced. However it might be a good idea to have the other boots examined for cracks, perishing, etc while it's up on the ramp.
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - bell boy
needs doing soonest as these corsas seem to knock out cv joints on this model
£40 sounds good to me
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - davidh
Yes, I've replaced both outer joints (drivers side and passenger) on our 52plate example because Vauxhall dont seem to be able to clip the boot on properly and it slips off the larger diameter other part of the CV joint.

Grease flung out, muck in and the joint is toast very quickly! (The car will click from the wheel area if you turnvery tightly say in a car park) £10 pound for a universal boot kit and £40 exchange for the new CV joint per sideplus labour - probably an hour.

PS. I use a jolly large jubilee clip to secure the boot back on the CV and that makes sure it doesnt come off.

PPS. You might be lucky and the joint could still be ok. If thats the case and the boot has simply popped off then you could re-pack the boot with grease, re-clip it back an save a few bob as no dismantling required!
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - sillymanc
I work in a tyre shop and seem to constantly see Corsas and the people carrier ones, with the outer cv boots hanging off plus loads of lovely grease in the wheel. Corsa drivers beware!! think theres a problem here.
04 1.2 Inner/outer CV boots - mfarrow
The problem is owing to the clip not being strong enough for the plastic boot, it will almost inevitably snap at some point if it's the original.

I used two jubilee clips set opposite each other so as to ensure better balance.