03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - dylan
Our 2003 Charade has cut out three times in the last week while driving. Unfortunately I have not experienced this first hand - all three times it's happened when my OH was driving. The first two times it happened were at low speed - once going round a roundabout and once in a housing estate. The most recent time was at around 70mph on the motorway - no other cars around fortunately.

OH is not terribly technical, but she says the power just goes and the car rolls smoothly to a stop - no shuddering. The way she describes it it sounds like the ignition is just switched off. After stopping the car restarts easily and is fine until the next time.

I drove the car quite a bit over the weekend (between the 2nd and 3rd occurrences) and didn't notice anything abnormal.

We're going to take it to our local indie, but with it being a rare car and the problem being so intermittent, I'm not hopeful he'll be able to diagnose. Anyone suffered a similar problem, or have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks
03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - Rob E
Hi Dylan,

I own a 2004 Charade. I have never experienced the cutting out you describe, but very very occasionally I have experienced some chugging at low speeds when lifting off the accelerator and the engine is not fully warmed up. This disappears without a trace for months on end.

Is the car used for a lot of short journeys? I was just wondering if it might benefit from a bit of a blast out to 'clear' it.

I'm sure it's probably just an anomaly and will disappear: mechanically these cars are very strong.

It might be worth speaking to your local Daihatsu dealer. They're usually very helpful and may have come across this before, and save you the expense of diagnosis.

Hope this helps,

Rob
The car isn't used every day, but journeys are probably 50/50 between small 3-4 mile ones and longer 20-30 mile ones. I had the same thought about 'giving it a blast' which I did last weekend, but the problem happened again on the Monday after.

Regarding just being an anomaly that will disappear - perhaps, but when it's cutting out at 70mph on the motorway it's really too dangerous to drive it.

We rang the Daihatsu dealer we bought it from, who are sometimes helpful and sometimes not. This time they weren't particularly forthcoming - just said to bring it in so they can hook it up to the computer, for which they'll charge us £40. Thanks but no thanks - it's going to the indie next Tuesday, and we'll see if his (free) computer check shows up anything. However as the engine warning light isn't on, I'm assuming there's not likely to be any error codes logged? Anyway, we'll find out Tuesday.

I'll post back here if/when we find out what the problem is.
03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - bell boy
a code read may well not show up an intermittant faulty crank senser
might be worth taking it out and giving it a clean up first
and getting indie to give it an ohms test
Just to follow up on this for the archives, indie couldn't find anything wrong, so we took the car back and I drove it to work every day for two weeks. No problems. So OH has it back now and no problems so far, though she's only been out a handful of times.

So still a bit of a mystery. If it does happen again, then I suppose we'll just have to get rid.
03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - Corrie55
3 1.0 Cutting out randomly - dylan
Our 2003 Charade has cut out three times in the last week while driving. Unfortunately I have not experienced this first hand - all three times it's happened when my OH was driving. The first two times it happened were at low speed - once going round a roundabout and once in a housing estate. The most recent time was at around 70mph on the motorway - no other cars around fortunately.

OH is not terribly technical, but she says the power just goes and the car rolls smoothly to a stop - no shuddering. The way she describes it it sounds like the ignition is just switched off. After stopping the car restarts easily and is fine until the next time.

I drove the car quite a bit over the weekend (between the 2nd and 3rd occurrences) and didn't notice anything abnormal.

We're going to take it to our local indie, but with it being a rare car and the problem being so intermittent, I'm not hopeful he'll be able to diagnose. Anyone suffered a similar problem, or have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks
Had the same problem with kwid . After 4years they changed the fuel pump in the tank and from then on i had only pleasure . So just a faulty / blocked fuel tank pump will make car cut out and on restart no problem . Till next time . Hope I could help someone.
03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - bathtub tom

How many keys are hanging from the ignition? Perhaps remove all except the one?

03 1.0 Cutting out randomly - edlithgow

Not had that with my Daihatsu (which is essentially a Charade, but from a time when carburetors roamed the earth, and computers were kept in air-conditioned rooms) but I have had something similar with a Mk1 Lada,

Not the same, though, since, although initially apparently random, it gradually emerged that it tended to happen on deceleration, and eventually became predictable enough that I regarded it as a primitive precursor of stop stop-start functionality.

Turned out it was (probably) due to a deterioration in the carbon-core of the Soviet-supplied ignition leads, which would stop conducting under negative G. I replaced these with fancy bright orange silicone rubber sheathed "racing" leads and it stopped doing it. Rather missed it.

The key fob suggestion above sounds similar, though the pendulum effect would probably make it seem more random.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2023 at 01:04