00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - green4438
Hi,

Can anyone help?

I have a 106 1.5D 2000, 8/10 times it starts fine no problems, however recently a fault has started. When turning the key, wait till the coil light goes out, turn the key to start and then there is lots of clicking and the lights on the dash flash. Take the key out, try again and it either does this again a few times or it starts.

I assume the clicking is some sort of relay? Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks
00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - Peter.N.
Where is the clicking coming from? If its in the engine compartment, could be a faulty starter.
Hi, yeah i think its from the engine comp...
00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - dagenham car center
get the starter motor checked.clicking is first sign of failure,it might not at all soon so get it seen to while its still driving.
00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - defender
check battery terminals are clean and check all connections are tight ,sounds a bit like a bad connection ,battery on the way out ,the clicking is often the starter solenoid rather than the starter
00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - davmal
If the clicking is "machine gun like rapid fire" then firstly look at your battery condition and connections, how old the battery is etc.
Hi, Thanks for all advice so far.

The battery is under 1yr old, fitted a new one myself. Its hard to tell were the clicking is coming from, also sounds as if its coming from the back seat?? The other thing is that the when it happens the clock resets itself.

Thanks
00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - defender
sounds like a power issue rather than a starter/solenoid fault ,check connections again then next move go back and get them to test the battery where you got it

edit clean the inside of the battery terminals with a bit if emery cloth and boiling water ,I have seen where the contact looks good but not working

Edited by defender on 28/04/2009 at 16:08

00 1.5d Starting Issue - Lots of Clicking - Rattle
My dads Fiesta did it, despite the battery seemingly being healthy (main beam worked etc) it just did not have enough ampage to turn the engine over. A new battery solved it.