Car scrappage scheme Vol 2. [Read Only] - Number_Cruncher

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

Just announced in the budget

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/04/2009 at 22:38

Car scrappage scheme - daveyjp
1254 - There will be a £2,000 discount from next month on cars bought where the owner scraps another car more than 10 years old.
Car scrappage scheme - OldSock
Just announced in the budget

So that's the W124 done for then, NC :-)
The scheme is only until the end of March 2010.
Car scrappage scheme - Number_Cruncher
>>So that's the W124 done for then, NC

No, not a chance!, the W124 has done me well, but, I need much more from it yet!

I can't imagine that there will be that many people for whom the 2K is really going to change their car buying decision.
Car scrappage scheme - DP
I can't imagine that there will be that many people for whom the 2K is
really going to change their car buying decision.

I'm glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing. Especially as it's near impossible to finance cars at the moment.
It's purely a bonus for anyone who was thinking of changing - my parents for example.

The market for cars less than £1,000 could now get very interesting as what is now being sold is a voucher for £2,000 off a new car and not a form of transport!

I'm sure the devil will be in the detail.
Car scrappage scheme - SpamCan61 {P}
Yes, sounds like my bangernomics financial model might have to change then :-((. Unless the price of leggy 7 year old cars drops to 1K. I can but hope.
Car scrappage scheme - apm
It will be interesting to see how the market changes. In theory, two markets will perk up: new and sub-£2k bangers. It will hit nearly new cars, as the cost of new car has effectively dropped £2k? Environmental disaster, as it will kill a shedload of perfectly serviceable vehicles that have long paid off their manufacturing carbon debt.

Fickle government. Green is important, until king cash comes back. :-(

BW,

Alex.
Car scrappage scheme - Tornadorot
The Autocar and Motor has the details here:

www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/239681/

The gummint is only stumping up £1k of the £2k, they are expecting the manufacturers to find the other £1k. Methinks it might turn out to be a bit of a damp squib?

Car scrappage scheme - TheOilBurner
Note that to benefit from the £2k you must have owned the car for a minimum of 12 months.

As the scheme will expire in March 2010, it's already to late to buy or sell an old motor to benefit from this.

You must have already bought one before March this year!

It will be interesting to see the effect on second hand prices, particularly at that end of the market. Keep the car and you might get £2k for it if you fancy a new one by next year, sell it and it will be near worthless as the next buyer will not be able to take advantage of the scheme...
Car scrappage scheme - pd
The Budget puts a cost of the scheme at £300m. That means, if they contribute £2000 per car they're expecting 150,000 cars to be scrapped and cars purchased under it. If they are expecting £1000 contribution per car that is 300,000 sales over the year.

If you guesstimate that half of these would have bought new cars anyway at best this appears to expect to sell and extra 150,000 cars over the coming year.

Manufacturers will not contribute £1000 towards it - they can't afford to at the current exchange rate. If they do, expect £1000 per model price increases across model ranges the day before they implement it.....

Like everything they do it is more confusing than it needs to be, the devil is in the detail and the actual figures do not appear to add up. No doubt to adminster it, they'll need to create a new "executive agency" with 1500 staff.

Cynical? Me?
Well they did also say that they'd be creating 250,000 new jobs in deprived areas! Now you know how 1,500 of them will be created... :)
Compare and contrast with the extra £3.6bn of fuel duties they announced...

Year after year, they get up and make a speech and then it turns out when you actually read the budget report (www.treasury.gov.uk) absolutely nothing actually said bears any relation to what is actually in the report with all the important "facts" omitted.
Car scrappage scheme - bathtub tom
Interesting there doesn't seem to be any requirement for how long the new car has to be kept, just that it has to be registered to the same person that the scrap car is registered to.

So, all I've got to do is find a purchaser of a new car who doesn't mind registering it to me for a day first and I could get a good price for my Kia Pride. ;>)
Car scrappage scheme - bell boy
im reserving my opinion on this subject till xmas
see how the land lies by then
Given that the government is expecting the industry to stump up half the cost, and the industry is broke, I wouldn't have thought it will amount to anything in reality.
Car scrappage scheme - Cliff Pope
Apparently the car being scrapped has to have an MOT. So by the time it's failed, which may be why you decide to get a new one, it's too late.
They only want you scrap good cars?
Car scrappage scheme - Rattle
Wow my Corsa must have doubled in value over night! I am not getting rid of it though, the bodywork is solid, the engine is still ok it would be an environmental crime to scrap a car like this as far as I am concerned.

Maybe when it starts to all go wrong and gets tatty the £2k scheme may help me get something newer bit as it stands I am very very against it, there are many many very good ten year old cars still on the road, there are also lots of 5 year old sheds which are dangerious and need scrapping.
Car scrappage scheme - Alby Back
Oh dear, this makes me think of that feeling of despair you get when you realise that a once fairly bright person has started to do things for which there is no logical reason.....
Rattle, I'm afraid it won't make a jot of difference to the value, as you can only claim on the scheme if you've owned the car for 12mths or more. So if you sold it on, the next buyer will get nowt as the scheme expires at the end of March next year. i.e. only people who have already bought a car that's 9 years or older already in March of this year (or before) can benefit.

Plus, you can only buy a new car (not nearly new or used) to claim your 2 grand. So really that 2k doesn't look a lot against expensive new cars...
Yep I was being sarcastic when I said the value had increased :). I reckon it may add £30-£50 it to though as people may think well if it lasts 18 months it can be used towards a new car.

However the sort of car I would be would be a Panda or a C1, so if I got £2k for my Corsa that means I could get a brand new car for £4k. However due to the effects of supply and demand I am sure new cars will be more expensive by then.

Since I bought my Corsa in mid march and by next March my car will be 10.5 years old it seems I could just about qualify. The MOT will expire in Feb 10 though although I tend to get things fixed before they fail an MOT so it should not be an issue.

It might help my dad as his car fits perfectly into the qualifying cars but despite the problems we have had lately its still a well speced reliable car it may be almost 12 years old but it does the job. Like you say they then need the money to buy a new car and my dads car would cost around £12k new (Fiesta Ghia) so the cost to change like for like is still £10k so pointless.

Oh OK! :)

Since £1k must come from the manufacturer and they'll increase their prices (or do less deals, same thing!) to compensate, I'll be amazed if the scheme takes off.

However, it's done very well in France and Germany, so maybe there are plenty of folk with money to burn and older cars on the driveway who might take the chance to save a few quid.
Yeah stupid people who actually believe they are getting something for nothng most likely.

.*********
Now anybody seen that £5 I have just lost? Oh [swear word of your choice] has just taken it to pay for her new Kia!
In Germany they have been offering ?5000 per car not £1000 - bit of a difference.

However, not everyone is in favour. It has put a lot of garages out of business, distorted the used car market and Mercedes for one have been highly critical as most of the extra cars sold have been non-German makes or Spanish built Polos.
Car scrappage scheme - gpmartin
I was one of the (few?) people with a 10-year-old car and a bit of money in the bank, and I've been watching the scrappage proposals with interest. I can't see how they can ensure that the £1000 'manufacturer contribution' does not simply take the place of existing discounts that anyone can get with a bit of shopping around. Given the apparent tightness of margins for manufacturers (especially given the weakness of the £), surely prices will have to go up to cover it or the structuring of dealer sales incentives will have to change to cover it?

In practice, it seems likely that it will equate to an extra £1000 on top of existing discounts, subject to scrapping your old car, and perhaps a couple of hundred quid extra from manufacturers to demonstrate good will. But my 'banger' would fetch £700 at trade in, or more if I sold it myself, and so the incentive suddenly looks pretty small. And of course it's going to be on newly registered cars only, presumably so that most of the expense is recouped in VAT receipts. That might work in Germany where prevailing discounts on list price are lower (giving manufacturers leaway to match the government incentive) and the differential between new and nearly new cars is relatively small, but here, where even a pre-registration on an earlier plate can save perhaps 20% on the discounted price, and the economics for someone like me start to look pretty unpalatable.

So unless my analysis is dramatically wrong, I'll be putting my car in for the service I've been postponing, buy a couple of new tyres and getting my chipped windscreen replaced. Meanwhile the whole of the car market and associated businesses get subjected to all the unforeseen consequences of this market distortion that we're starting to hear about - garages out of business, billions wiped off the resale value of fleet and rental vehicles (not that I'll be shedding tears on that front), money that would have been spent elsewhere in the economy going into cars that people would have bought in 18 months' time anyway. Oh, and perfectly serviceable cars sent to the scrapheap, to be replaced by new cars that may well emit more CO2, since the 'green rationale' behind the whole thing--dubious in the first place--has been quietly forgotten altogether.

What a mess.

Edited by gpmartin on 22/04/2009 at 19:26

Car scrappage scheme - Robin Reliant
I haven't been following this thread so apologies if someone else has pointed this out, but how many people with a ten year old car arre going to be in the position to finance a new one? Sounds like the sort of idea dreamed up by some clueless wonder who doesn't drive and has no grasp of economics.

Oh, wait a minute...
Car scrappage scheme - crunch_time
Apologies if this appears above, I haven't read it all.

It appears it's going to be a very limited scheme, with just £300K allocated, so will only apply to 150,000 cars on that basis.

Car scrappage scheme - madf
>crunch time
300,000 cars as the Government only stumps up £1,000.

Typical Government: industry gives £1,000.

As Citroen already reduce prices by more than £1,000 - unless they do more, your £500 banger with MOT will only save you a net £500.

Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase " drinking session, brewery in, organise not could".

We COULD afford to buy a new car, my son could as well, we both have perfectly good cars over 10 years old, with MOTs and with lots of life left in them...

The scheme does not appear very attractive... so the old ones will sailor on.

Promise a lot, deliver less = disappointment imo.
Car scrappage scheme - Alby Back
Just thinking about this a bit more. I guess there are three main users of ten year old + cars. Those who can't afford a new one, those who don't choose to afford a new one and those who are fond of old cars. Have I missed a significant group ?

So, right then, who exactly are the people who are now going to rush to buy a new one under this scheme.

The ones who would need a lot of credit ?
Maybe not.

The ones who previously chose not to put a lot of money on the road ?
May not be in too much of a hurry.

The old car enthusiast ?
What, scrap their pride and joy ?

Nonsense.
Car scrappage scheme - Peter S
The government part is probably self funding anyway; a car costing £10k carries around £1,300 in VAT in the price.

Gordon gives you £1,000 so you can give him £1,300. Now some people would have bought a new car anyway, but I bet the net effect is more cash to the treasury to fritter...oops, spend ;-)

Peter
Car scrappage scheme - TurboD
The Germans allow 9 year old cars to be scrapped, and the figure is 2.5K Euros, but has been a success in selling Polish/East European cars- not Merks. How strange.
Any idiot would tell you a Merk buyer is hardly likely to be influenced by a trivial sum , would not pay for the radio upgrade.
I think the whole thing will be lost in the murcky (!) world of discounts and prices rises.
Oh ,in Germany the car has to be scapped, scrapper delaers are in custody for selling cars on!
Promise a lot deliver less = disappointment imo.

This government in a nutshell.

Car scrappage scheme - The Melting Snowman
Strange how the car has been seen as the villain in recent years, taxed to the skies and yet the Govt. is prepared to borrow money to throw at this daft policy.
Car scrappage scheme - Manatee
A sad waste of money that we can ill afford. Those running a 10 year old car - for whatever reason - are the least likely to buy new, and if they do it is likely to be a cheap import.

Furthermore it's extremely ungreen to scrap something that works, especially if it's doing low mileage as the majority of these cars will be.

Do they ever think anything through? Or is it just a cynical bit of grandstanding at our expense?
Car scrappage scheme - pony
seeing as only hyundai have confirmed they will join the scrappage scheme so far its all a bit of a damp squib
Great so we will just get more bland Pony type things on the road :( its not like the people buying Hyundai Coupes will be influenced by this :(

To make it worse I bet Lada suddenly comes back and joins in :(

The labour government - Britian is not ruined yet, so lets continue to make it worse.
Car scrappage scheme - pony
Great so we will just get more bland Pony type things
The labour government - Britian is not ruined yet so lets continue to make it
worse.

i think it was johnny rotten who replied when asked "the countrys in a right state what can YOU do about it ?"
"make it worse" he replied
Funny you should mention that, I have been angry all night about that lost £5 of mine so have been listening to the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned and Goldblade (not many people know them!) all night!

I really wish I had the energy and passion to start a big friendly riot or at least a protest but the sad fact is I don't really care about anything anymore. I don't even know what Britian is anymore.
Car scrappage scheme - robroy
Just a total 'con!' - but totally in keeping with the other 'cons' this Government has perpetuated over the past 9 years or so. Where is the £2,000? - the only two cars, whereby the '£2,000' might just apply are the Fiat500 and the Mini, niether of which are available with discounts [notwithstanding 'Drivethedeal' are offering a few hundred off a Mini] Having said that, I'm not convinced BMW will be signing up, and while Fiat will be pleased to sign up for their 'run of the mill' they will be loath to do so for their beloved 500. In other words, the scheme is a total farce...but then again, no one should be really surprised!
Car scrappage scheme - motorprop
am no New Labourite , but at least the Gov't are trying something - stop knocking till we know the outcome ?
Car scrappage scheme - Manatee
>>am no New Labourite , but at least the Gov't are trying something

...trying hopelessly to prop up their own image and popularity with our money is all I can see. I think we're entitled to heckle.
Car scrappage scheme - Roger Jones
"In Germany they have been offering ?5000 per car not £1000 - bit of a difference."

As mentioned above, the German figure is ?2500 not ?5000.

And the headline "40% increase in sales" is March 2009 vs March 2008. Year-to-date sales are up 18%.

"Volkswagen has emerged as the biggest winner, with sales of more than 190,000 under the scheme, while Skoda has sold 80,000 cars. VW has decided to continue producing its Polo, which was due to be phased out. Fiat and Suzuki have also seen sales soar."

tinyurl.com/GermanScrappage

Other countries: "Italian car sales increased for the first time in a year, while French sales rose by 8.1% and declines slowed in Spain".

See also:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8003508.stm
>>Where is the £2 000? -
the only two cars whereby the '£2 000' might just apply are the Fiat500 and
the Mini niether of which are available with discounts

Where did you get the thought that there would only be two cars?

Volvo are in (according to HJ) and at 9pm last night there was a Citroen ad on TV which mentioned £2,000 'scrappage' allowance, so they were on the ball with ads ready to roll as the scheme was confirmed.
Car scrappage scheme - bathtub tom
The Citroen ad, while referring to several models in their range, appeared to only offer the incentive on one.
Car scrappage scheme - robroy

Where did you get the thought that there would only be two cars?

Simple, - the participating dealer's £1000 contribution will replace the massive discounts [check out various internet discount sites] presently on offer, resulting in no cash advantage whatsoever!

This is what many of the messages on this discussion are in effect saying [don't take my word - check them out!]

Mini and the Fiat 500 are about the only cars currently not attracting discounts, thus a genuine £2,000 advantage would apply [assuming the qualifying car to be scapped had a NIL value!]

As I said, it is a 'con' and if you can't 'see it' ........
Car scrappage - MOT question - AtoB
I know the details of this scheme are still being finalised but I have one urgent question.

The DirectGov website states that the scheme requires the old car to have:

"a current MOT test certificate BEFORE DATE OF ORDER for the new vehicle"

and the new car is

"FIRST REGISTERED in the UK on or after mid May 2009"

So does this mean that if my MOT runs out before 'mid May' (rather than spend money trying to get it through the MOT just to scrap it) I could now, while my MOT is still valid, place an order for a new vehicle, which can be registered after mid May (& hand over my car for scrappage before MOT expires)?

The dealers I've contacted aren't quite sure but that would seem to be the strict interpretation. Anyone know for sure?

Cheers.

Car scrappage - Start date/MOT question - AtoB
"Anyone know for sure?"

Apparently not! :-)

Car scrappage - Start date/MOT question - bathtub tom
I think 'the powers that be' don't either. It seems they're still deciding the detail with the motor traders.

None of the links in the 'news' on the right seem to work at the moment!
Car scrappage - Start date/MOT question - Waino
Apparently not! :-)>>

Exactly, AtoB! The MoT is due on my 12 year old Mondeo in June. I'm in the catch-22 situation of keeping it going for a bit longer if it passes, but not being able to trade it in for a new Focus Econetic if it fails.

From what I hear though, you'd do better to get an internet deal rather than pay a dealer's bloated price - even with the scrappage contribution.
Car scrappage - Start date/MOT question - AtoB
Cheers - not just me then!

If it helps anyone else, I believe the 'launch' date is 18 May and Citroen, at least, are offering their own £2K scrappage scheme before that date.

I'm afraid I'm a bit too cautious for an 'internet' deal (I like face-to-face contact) and because I didn't want to go through all the malarkey of getting older cars checked out I'd already decided pre-scrappage, on a cheap, small, pre-reg. car - but the £2K offer for new cars beats any pre-reg deal on the cars I'm interested in.

Oh well, fingers crossed I can pass the MOT without too much expense or get confirmation that I can jump in before the 'launch' date.

Car scrappage - Start date/MOT question - bathtub tom
You could always take it to an MOT test station and ask them to check it over to see what it might fail on, without doing an actual MOT.

Of course, if they find no problems you may end up paying the equivalent of two MOT test fees.
Car scrappage - MOT question - robroy

The dealers I've contacted aren't quite sure but that would seem to be the strict
interpretation. Anyone know for sure?

Hi! - The Gov Website is crystal clear! ie.,

The vehicle you are trading in must: [comply with the following criteria]

* Have a current MOT test certificate before date of order for the new vehicle.

Having been in the business of studying contracts for the best part of 45 years, I can confirm that your interpretation of the wording is correct, and you can indeed go ahead and order your car under the 'car scrappage scheme'

In the event of the above not being so, notwithstanding that I cannot see a problem, then you would have a 'cast iron' case against the Government [County Court Small Claims] for any direct loss and expense you had suffered due to missleading information supplied by the Government.

The only point of 'contention' I can visulise is the delivery of your existing vehicle without an MOT when you take delivery of your new vehicle, sometime post mid May. 2009. [assuming you have not wished to part with your vehicle to the dealer when you order the car] In such circumstances to be within the law, I assume you would have to arrange a transporter. I am not convinced the Government would allow dispensation for vehicles without MOT's being driven to participating dealers under the car scrappage scheme.
Car scrappage - MOT question - pmh2
I assume you would have to arrange a transporter. I am not convinced the Government would allow dispensation for vehicles without MOT's being driven to participating dealers under the car scrappage scheme.<<

But it could be driven to the dealer for a prearranged test! Problem solved.

p
Car scrappage - MOT question - robroy
But it could be driven to the dealer for a prearranged test! Problem solved.

Hmmmmmmmm...OK I know you are only jesting, but then again......assume you are referring to dispensation allowed for driving vehicle to MOT testing station to enable vehicle to be taxed.

Vehicle however is going to be scrapped, with no intention of being taxed, thus a fraudulent act has been committed.

That aside, assume a serious accident, causing multiple deaths, occured en route for the [fraudulent] prearranged MOT test, - the owner's insurance company would render his insurance null and void, such would be the paper audit trail of the vehicle due to be traded in and scrapped.

Perhaps if you employed the services of Mr Loophole you may well avoid a lengthy...but I suspect that far from solving the problem....
Car scrappage - MOT question - AtoB
Cheers robroy.

I will check again with dealer but fear that although it's not clearly stated anywhere, the 'requirements' might run from the 'launch' date (unless, like Citroen, dealer willing to pre-empt this).

It seems silly to have a scheme where someone 'qualifies' for the scheme when it's announced but not when it's 'launched' - but that's life!

If I could get it in early, I'd happily leave my car with car/scrap(?) dealer on last day of MOT and do without for two weeks - I need a bit of exercise anyway!
Car scrappage - MOT question - answer - AtoB
B.E.R.R have advised me that the MOT should be current after the date of launch of the scheme and before the date of order of the new vehicle and say that the launch date is still not confirmed, despite mention on the web of 18 May.

I didn't ask about the potential SORN loophole - I'm not into loopholes outside the 'spirit' of the scheme.

Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - brum
It seems to me that, by and large, most cars over 10 years old are now expected by their owners to be worth at least £2000. Also I suspect the trade will also cap their value at £2000.

Surely this will cripple the low end market, youngsters in particular will now find they can no longer afford to buy a car.
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - Rattle
There is also MOT restrictions and not all car manufacturers are offering the scheme. It is basically the biggest scam I have ever known.

Tomorrow I might go to Ford and try and trade my dads car in, I will have a run out model 08 Ka please at £5500 but I have this old scallped out Fiesta so i want that car for £3500 I thnk they may well tell me to eff off.
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - L'escargot
I thnk they may
well tell me to eff off.

I'd expect them not to be so coarse as that, but they would tell you that you can't benefit from the scheme because the Fiesta isn't yours.
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - jc2
It is also restricted to a limited number of cars and also only on offer for a limited period.
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - mikeyb
Rattle, discount will apply to list price. Cheapest Ford Ka is now 7995 so you could drive one away for 5995.

Scheme is subsidised by the manufacturers so you wont get a discount and the £2K
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - Nsar
How many people can there possibly be who run 10 year old cars, presumably because they can't offer a newer car and will now decide that a brand new car makes economic sense to them?

Utterly pointless scheme.
Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - madf
"How many people can there possibly be who run 10 year old cars, presumably because they can't offer a newer car and will now decide that a brand new car makes economic sense to them?"

There are a LOT of people who run 10year old cars.

Many of them could buy a new Roller/etc IF they wanted to..

The car I drive is driven by choice: I am not driven by the need to be uptodate/keep up with the neighbours etc.

Having said that, teh scrappage scheme is so restricted- the ownership for 12 months - it is unlikely to be a great success. If I can't negotiate £2k off a new car, I would not buy one..

Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - the swiss tony
There are a LOT of people who run 10year old cars.
Many of them could buy a new Roller/etc IF they wanted to..

Very true, but would a 'gift ' of £2k make them buy new?
I dont think so.

This is aimed at the poorer end, people who cant afford new, but as I see it, if finance was an option to the owners of 10year old bangers, many would be driving round in 5-6 year old cars now!
also, by buying new, the cost of servicing needs to be factored in (many owners of old cars do it themselves (well or badly who knows)) and that 2K saving will be lost in depreciation in the 1st 2 years, never to be regained unless they keep the car till it falls apart.. AH!
then the cost of finance...(if they can get it) could the poorer folks afford £200PM, will they have a job in 6 months?
sorry.. this scheme IMO is 95% hype.

(edit - spelling correction)

Edited by the swiss tony on 26/04/2009 at 12:34

Are all cars over 10 years now worth £2000? - Westpig
what a load of old hogwash this 'scheme' is

my car becomes 10 years old in 6 weeks time, so although i'm not selling, i've looked up all the costings, to see what i'd be due:

1, using govt scheme and presuming my preferred manufacturer (Jaguar) would be part of the scheme. £2000 off a new model, hand over old one. Nearest model equivalent to my old one would be XF V6 Premium Luxury with option of sunroof, total list price £37468. So with my govt discount of £1,000 and the manuf's £1,000 discount as per the scheme (can't see me getting any more), my cost to change price would be £35468

2, trade mine in to local dealer and negotiate with them on the new price. I'd estimate they ought to give me £1,500 (for a 1999 S Type 3.0 litre SE, many extras, low mileage, full service history, absolutely immaculate) and in this climate, with the trade in, I ought to be able to negotiate £1,000 off list price. So my cost to change would be £34,968

3, sell S Type privately for £1,500 ish. Buy the new one via Drive the Deal for their discounted price of £33375, which is a £3,900 discount. Cost to change is £32,068

who on earth is going to use the govt scheme?... it's at least £500 more expensive than sorting it yourself.. and £3,400 more expensive than using an Internet broker. Particularly when you take in to consideration the points already made about people with 10 year old cars worth very little aren't the customers who can necessarily afford new cars... (me included). Plus, why would I want my old car that i've spent a fortune on, is immaculate, has nothing wrong with it whatsoever and has many miles of motoring left in it...to go straight to a scrap yard. What a load of hot air.
Scrappage Scheme (continued) - the swiss tony
I can see it working at the lower end. KIA has been the first to
make sense of it. A Picanto for £4 126 is tempting if you're chugging around
in a Metro or a Rover 111. T The cars need to be sold.

Agree that the cars have to be sold, you wouldnt believe just how many cars are in stock at dealers, and far too many have reached adoption, which is killing dealers cashflow even further.

I still stand by my argument that many people will be unable, or unwilling to take out a loan, as I said in an earlier posting, if they were, they would already have a younger car.
dont forget, many people (if not most) driving cars as you describe will be retired, or tenants.
as I see it the young (with their first car) are the most likey group to be taking up this offer.
Scrappage Scheme (continued) - datostar
I called in at a Hyundai dealer on Friday to enquire about 'scrappage' on an i30 and was told that the £2000 discount would be off list price. There is a Hyundai ad in today's Sunday Telegraph promoting the i30 1.4 Comfort with £1.600 discount without a scrappage allowance. Presumably they would give another £1,000 off that model with the scrappage which they get back from the Government, so the scrappage allowance becomes £1,000. I suspect this will be the case with most 'offers' unless you opt for a higher spec model which is not being discounted to all comers.
My present car is a 1997 Renault Megane 2.0 RXE which I have had from new and which has done 54,000 miles. It certainly qualifies but apart from the sheer waste of scrapping a very decent car, in practice for most people the allowance is only going to be £1,000 because of the aforementioned existing manufacturer offers. Regardless of its notional book value it's worth more than £1,000 to me as it stands. As you say, it will probably work at the lower end. An old Fiesta, say, traded for a Picanto at £4,126 is very tempting. If I change my car, I want similar size, performance and equipment level and I won't get that from an i30 1.4 Comfort spec. I was quite enthusiastic about the idea when it was first announced but am now changing my mind and seeing that all is not quite what it seemed at first. I'll probably hang on the the Megane for a few more years.
Scrappage Scheme (continued) - The Melting Snowman
This has nothing to do with the environment, this is about breathing a little life into an industry that has been living beyond its means for years, turning a blind eye to the real underlying problem that there has been massive overcapacity in the car industry in recent years. The World just does not need all these cars and the sooner we accept this, accept some comparatively high-profile closures and associated pain; and focus our attentions and efforts elsewhere, nothing will get better.

Of course this won't happen because:

1. The Govt. is desperate to try and give the impression it's doing something with an election a little more than a year away.

2. There are too many vested interests in the status quo.

3. The Govt. doesn't know what to do anyway.

What we need is a brave (but honest) manufacturer to stand up, say this policy is a load of cobblers from an environmental point of view, that they won't be participating in it but they will be offering discounts of £2000 - which is about what you can get already...

I would be more in favour of the scheme if it were restricted to British-built cars. As I see it the only people to gain from this are the foreign car manufacturers. The French and German manufacturers must be celebrating. I read somewhere that about 85% of all cars are imported. Some dealers and those involved on the fringes of the industry will benefit but generally I don't accept the 'trickle-down effect', a much-overhyped concept IMO.

It makes me want to spit to think of taxpayers' money being used to fund this cretinous scheme.
Scrappage Scheme (continued) - Westpig
I can see it working at the lower end. KIA has been the first to
make sense of it. A Picanto for £4 126 is tempting if you're chugging around
in a Metro or a Rover 111.

but...this country doesn't make Kia's or the low end stuff....so how does our Govt spending tax payers money, help our economy if it's going to the Koreans?

This country makes Jaguars, Land Rovers, Aston Martins, Morgan, BMW Mini, Nissan Peugeot, Honda etc....none of which will be beneficial to buy with this scheme.
Scrappage Scheme (continued) - Rover P6B
It would certainly seem to be a ridiculous, poorly-thought-out artificial stimulus which the country can't afford. Anyway, an over-10-year-old car to be scrapped? I run a Dec99 V-reg BMWE46 with 106k on which is good for at least another decade, yet it's almost eligible for the scrapheap! Likewise, my 2001/Y E39 has only 55k on (I've just bought it and I love it!), yet, if it had been an earlier one, it would have been eligible for this! Also, what about such wonderful cars as the Merc W123/4 and W201 and the BMW E21/E24/E28/E30/E34s? Jaguar X308 series XJ, S-type (flawed but nonetheless good), X100-series XK, or even the older XJ series and the XJS? What about such timeless, ageless cars as Lotuses, Caterhams, Morgans etc? Are these eligible for this scheme? There are even those of us with a soft spot for the Rover SD1... Are all these cars, present and future classics, to see their numbers decimated? I hope not.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - mattbod
One of my biggest worries with this is that people will get rid of modern classics like older MX5s, the Pug GTI, old Mercs, Volvos and Saabs and a whole host of other cars. I was reading an article on MSN which had a list of cars to save from scrappage: if only I had the money to buy a few.

10 years seems ridiulously young to me. Members of my family have Volvo 850 and V70 estates with 150K on them that still look as new, as does my father's Mercedes C280 (1995) which he refuses to get rid of. I think this scheme is not green at all as many cars in perfect running orfer will be needlessly scrapped: how environmentally friendly (I won't use the G buzzword) is that?
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - tintin01
I agree. We are fans of old Saabs, but a 1980's 900 turbo in average condition may only have a value of £500 upwards. Many people may choose to scrap these kind of cars now. I suspect though that the £2k trade-in will be against list price, in which case it's not as attractive as it seems.

The rule about owning them for a year may help stop people buying them just to scrap though.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - bell boy
Iposted a link last week to where a german customer had weighed in a 13,000 killometre car in the german scrappage scheme and it was madness.
The problem in this country is that all the old classics that werent roadworthy were scooped up and crushed in the great scrap run of last year when scrap was at $240 a tonne with fluids intact,those days have gone but they might return as ive just walked past my local scrap man and his yard is totally empty of even washing machines.

The word on the street (ok in the trade) is that all these mot-ed cars that the large dealers are collecting will all get an end of life certificate to placate the dvla but instead of being crushed they will be containered up and go off to the ukraine etc----
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - Robin Reliant
I doubt if it will have much of an impact. The scheme is so flawed take up will be minimal.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - Sofa Spud
In general, people who own cars over 10 years old are not veru likely to replace them with brand new cars.

But if you push back further, to owners of classic cars, a bigger proportion of them are likely to run new cars for everyday use. So someone who's perhaps got an old Morris Minor that's coming up to needing extensive renovation, they might be tempted to scrap it instead and put the money towards a new Ford focus or whatever.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - mattbod
Sofa spud I agree and this is my fear. As to the Saab 900 Turbo, if anyone has an average one for 500 nicker give me a call! I would love one of these and had a look after I got the Wheeler Dealer box set (Mike Brewer and Edd china) but those that I could find were quite pricey: a good one was up for £5K. Anyone who scraps one of these lovely cars should be put against a wall.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - Alanovich
Well I know someone who is going to take up the offer.

He has an old Nissan Bluebird, H reg, which has blown a head gasket recently (which his Dad fixed for him), but has since broken down again and needed recovering over the weekend. It's very much at the end of its life and no longer provides reliable transport. My friend had planned to keep on fixing it up with the free help of his Dad, however he knew that one day soon, it would die. The car is the family's second car and he just uses it to run himself to and from work locally.

The arrival of this scheme has brought forward his decision to replace the car, although previously he had only planned to get another old banger. He will now opt for a Kia Picanto or a Fiat Panda, brand new. He's going to find a couple of extra grand and get himself sorted with a car which will last him for years and years.

His old car is worthless and he is quite pleased this scheme has cropped up now, so he's going to take advantage.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - oldnotbold
"His old car is worthless and he is quite pleased this scheme has cropped up now, so he's going to take advantage. "

So a vehicle which was on its very last legs is going a few months early to the scrapper, and a car made well beyond these shores will replace it. Environmental benefit - zero; economic benefit to the UK, almost certainly negative, once the £1,000 from the taxpayer is taken into account.
You may be right, ONB. But he's going to be buying another car sometime soon anyway, so can you suggest a way in which he can do that which is positive in all the regards which you mention? British made cars are simply too expensive, there are none at the cheapo runaround end of the market. Should he simply ignore the taxpayers' £1000 out of altruism?
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - DP
A worthless PX, and bottom end of market replacement is the only scenario I can think of where this scheme is worth any more than a casual glance.

£2k+ off is easily achievable on most mainstream cars once you get up to around £13k-£14k and above list prices, and most cars that run and have 3+mths MOT will sell for a hundred quid or more.
Scrappage scheme and modern classics. - Westpig
So a vehicle which was on its very last legs is going a few months
early to the scrapper and a car made well beyond these shores will replace it.
Environmental benefit - zero; economic benefit to the UK almost certainly negative once the £1000 from the taxpayer is taken into account.

quite....the other thing is he's downgraded in some respects, because he's gone from a Mondeo sized car to a much smaller one....is this what this system is all about?

in my mind they've either not thought it through properly and the stimulus package is likely to benefit companies abroad..or...it's a sneaky way of encouraging the British public to buy small, cheap cars....either way they should either be more competent or more truthful
the other thing is he's downgraded in some respects because he's gone from a Mondeo
sized car to a much smaller one....is this what this system is all about?

The size and model of this gentleman's car is irrelevant to him. He inherited it from his Grandfather. He is very much of the a-car-is-white-goods school of thought. He views all cars as identical - i.e any car would get him to and from work and would do nothing else for him. The Bluebird could have been a 2CV, a Granada, a Suzuki Whizzkid or a Chevrolet Impala. He is utterly blind to cars. All he sees today is a 2k "gift" to get himself something reliable, very cheaply. Anything will do.
Scrappage scheme question - scott1s
Quick question. Does the scrappage incentive apply only to new vehicles or also to pre-registered ones?

My mum has a 98 'S' plate Micra 1.3 which is getting a little bit dog eared now although runs perfectly. However seems an ideal opportunity to upgrade if we get £2k back on it against something newer. She would like either another Micra or perhaps a Fiat 500.

Who deals with the certificate of destruction? Us or the dealer?

Can anyone advise?
Scrappage scheme question - AtoB
The scheme is for new vehicles only I'm afraid.
Fiat are offering Panda's on the scheme - but not Fiat 500's yet - as far as I'm aware.

As it's voluntary, dealers are doing their own thing in relation to it - e.g. regarding age of cars accepted (Fiat), start date (Citroen), new models included.

Scrappage scheme question - martint123
Quick question. Does the scrappage incentive apply only to new vehicles or also to pre-registered ones?

From what I have read, you have to be the first registered owner
Scrappage scheme question - Optimist
A new basic Micra is £7995 so £5995 with the deal. Since the deal is £2k whatever you buy, the cheaper the car you buy the better you're off. Actual scrapping is up to the dealer, I think.

Scrappage scheme question - Pugugly
Moved to Scrappage scheme Volume 2
Scrappage scheme question - Talking Hoarse
I agree that this scrappage scheme may not be what we had hoped for.
I am in lucky position to have a qualifying scrapper (my "shed") and some money to put towards a low end Panda, Corsa, Aygo etc.
However so far I find that the money required to buy such a car is little less than it was last week - for example I have been told proudly by a Peugeot dealer that they can do me a 107 for a few pounds short of 6k, AFTER 2000 discount, whereas a Drivethedeal were doing Aygo's outright for similar money, and C1's were available for a little more than 6k too. Likewise a Fiat dealer offers (only) a 1.1 Panda for 4995 after discount, whereas FiatSupasaver were advertising same car for about 5400 outright.
Neither dealer would budge using their margin, claiming only a "handling fee".
So it seems to me that the scrappage discount is taking the place of previous manufacturer and dealer discounts, and cars are not yet really 2000 or even 1000 cheaper with the scheme. And at this rate I am most likely to spend my money elsewhere.
Any comments - am I correct that dealers still have margin to negotiate a deal with scrappage? Can we really expect such cars to be cheaper after 18 May than last week?
Scrappage scheme question - Geordie1
It would appear that potential purchasers under the 'scrappage scheme' are unlikely to get both a general discount AND a scrappage discount in the same deal. Perhaps in such circumstances dealers might consider discounting by an additional £1000 (being the HM Government share) and incorporating the other £1000 within the already agreed general discount deal? That arrangement might be worthy of consideration if you are running a banger which is only worth a couple of hundred quid.

Edited by Geordie1 on 28/04/2009 at 13:34

Scrappage scheme question - datostar
They'll HAVE to discount by the Government £1000 grant because they'll be submitting a claim form for that. If they don't discount that will be fraud and we've already been told there will be DVLA monitoring of the scheme. When this was first announced to Govt. said they expected manufacturers to allow their own extra £1,000 in addition to existing discounts. Up to now (and bearing in mind that full details still have not yet been announced) that doesn't seem to be happening. I see on the Kia website that manufaturer's discounts have already been reduced, no doubt so they can put it back on for scrappers and not for others. There are supposed to be meetings going on between Govt., SMMT, manufacturers etc. to thrash out final details which seems to be taking an unconscionably long time. I dare say the sticking point will be this manufacturer's contribution - which was a ridiculous half-baked idea anyway, taking our scheme well away from the proven successful German scheme.
I've just about decided to have nothing to do with it - too much scope for sharp practices and scrapping a perfectly good car makes no sense anyway. I certainly wouldn't commit myself to anything to do with this scheme at least until these promised final details are announced, in spite of jumping the gun 'deals' proliferating at the moment.
Scrappage scheme question - robroy
The only way the proposed Government 'Scrappage Scheme' could work ie., the person 'trading in' a qualifying car to be scrapped, benefits in full by the £2000 is as follows:-

Manufacturers must agree with the Government to the following:-

1.Dealer's profit levels to remain at levels as at prior to budget.
2.The government to sanction any Manufacturer's proposed price increases.
3.Dealers costs [admin/disposal] in association with the scrapping of the cars to be reclaimed from the manufacturer.

Agreement by the Manufacturer[s] to the above would ensure that the cost of a car [after negociations] would be the same, whether or not a 'car scrappage scheme' was implemented.

In the event of a 'car scrappage scheme' being involved, the dealer would simply deduct the £2000 from the negociated price. The £2000 in question would then become an 'extra-over' bonus to the customer.

The dealer would then be reimbursed the £2000 by the Government, with the Government then claiming the £1000 from the manufacturer.

The above procedure would in effect ensure that persons taking advantage of the scheme, benefited by £2000 [assuming car to be scrapped has a NIL value!]when purchasing cars accross the board, other than cars on which at present a discount [or very little] is not available [Fiat 500/MINI etc.,]
Scrappage scheme question - datostar
That would be fine if it actually happens. In the meantime, all the more reason to avoid 'unofficial' deals (unless you get a really good one) until we know exactly where we stand and aren't going to be ripped off. Get on with it, Gordon!!!
Scrappage scheme question - madf
I expect it will all be resolved by May 2010 - just as the scheme ends...