More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - FotheringtonThomas
From "The Daily Telegraph":

tinyurl.com/csbzm8

"As part of a 10-year strategy to make Britain's roads "the safest in the world", the "time over distance" cameras that measure a car's average speed over many miles are also set to be introduced en masse."
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Mr X
These cameras do in fact record speed relating to a vehicle by use of its number plate. They also retain the fact that a number plate has been an an area. So they are both a speed monitoring device and a user monitoring device.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Hamsafar
'Speed' and 'safety' are just being used as an excuse for a totalitarian order.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - smashing
i just dont see the point in the timed cameras as there are some around where i live and at night you just get the racers slamming down the road at some ungodly speed and then turning off before the next camera. I also dont like the fact that most people on the stretch if road (me included sometimes) are more interested in checking their speedo than watching the road.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Rattle
I don;t have a problem with speed cameras if they are properly placed BUT where will all this end?

I think things have now reached crisis point and they will be a big revolt and the government will finally loose power to some to some spotty people in Surrey.

My sat nav is very useful as it bleeps if I go over the speed limit.

I am really starting to hate this government and I am worried I am slowly turning into a certain Mr X.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - midlifecrisis
Rattle, don't worry. You don't have to start wearing copious amounts of tin foil on your head to hate this Government!
hehe

My worry is we will have cameras at very set of lights, every side street, every zebra crossing and it will just make people paraonid and there wil be a lot more deaths. I missed the pensioner because I was making sure the speed was at 29mph and not 30mph.
I've got no argument with cameras at every set of Traffic lights. Absolutely no excuse for going through a red light.

I've got lots of issues with introducing cameras along every road, but Gormless Gordon and his mob aren't interested in the views of Police Officers (and I mean the rank and file...not 'der management'.

More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Alby Back
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of cameras. They are not equipped with a brain unlike a good old fashioned traffic cop. However if we have to have cameras I'd much rather have the average speed type over the instant versions.

People are frightened to overtake nowadays because to do so safely you might stray briefly over the limit Cops know that and I have never been pulled in such circumstances in many many miles of driving. I guess there will be exceptions but the maxim of "let common sense prevail" does seem to be present with most traffic cops. An instant camera would zap you in such a scenario but an average speed one wouldn't provided you reduced your speed back down to the limit or so having completed the overtake. Still no substitute for the human touch and judgement though.
Indeed average speed cameras don't bother me at all for that reason and they should not cause panic like the instant ones. However I do think speed limits should now be displayed much more clearly. There are too many 20 zones near me where the limit is not that obvious. There is usualy a 20 sign on entry and then one on exit with no repeater signs.
However, there's plenty of completely stupid individuals who don't understand 'average' speed cameras. On the m/way, it's staggering to see the amount of cars speeding through roadworks and braking heavily at each camera.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Alby Back
Yeah, I've seen that effect too MLC. Stranger still, often with the drivers of quite expensive cars. People who are smart enough to get a job with such a thing provided or clever enough to have earned sufficient wonga to buy one can still be still daft enough to not understand the word average.....

Probably on the phone and not paying attention....

;-)
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Armitage Shanks {p}
If these cameras are infallible, or nearly so, they won't make any money and I don't think the Government will like them! I don't think I have ever seen a question here from anybody who has been SPECCed and asking what the dodges are. I guess they really do work! MLC - what motorways have SPECS cameras on them, please? I know what they look like and I have only seen them on the M1 on the M25 to Luton stretch, so far!
Only the M42 has them in the area I work and they're not switched on all the time . They are used during roadworks (which I suppose makes them 'nearly' a permanent fixture :) ) M5 J4-5 and M6 5-4a.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that MLC. Are there any stats (yet) for the fines income that they generate vis a vis the installation and running costs ?
No idea. It's not the type of information that would ever be made available to me (the Police have no direct connection to these cameras).
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - teabelly
You'd have to ask the camera partnership. Possibly through an FOI request to find that out.

What beggars belief is that this stick cameras everywhere and just ratchet down limits until most drivers have points is clearly not working. It hasn't worked for the last 10 years so why do these clowns think doing more of the same is going to work now??? Even those that make every effort to stick to limits will probably be caught out at some point.

Also with Anpr being used what corroborating evidence is there that it was a particular car not a particular plate with these specs installations? If there isn't some photographic or video evidence also with proof that all the clocks on the cameras were all precisely in sync then the evidence can't be trusted.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Mr X
The timing would only have to be out by a minute on the entry and exit clocks to put some one in to the penalty thresholh in a 20 mph area.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - stunorthants26
I dont really mind extra cameras, they have no effect on me at all other than the way inbred dimwits react to them and its my responsiblility to allow for such people driving so badly as well as its theirs to drive better ( not that they will!).

The average speed cameras between Huntingdon and Cambridge on the A14 seem to work very well and it is exceptionally rare anyone is doing over an indicated 70. Its a very calm drive along there these days as overtake a lorry doing 60 and you dont get people tailgating you wanting to do 90. Love them.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Ben 10
"I don't think I have ever seen a question here from anybody who has been SPECCed "

I agree. I posed the question recently as to has anyone on here received a fine for breaking an ASC site. There was not one post.
Having regularly used the M1 section when they were in use, I regularly saw speeding drivers even though I was keeping to the limit. Are they just a visual deterrant with all their signage. Smoke and mirrors perhaps.
Maybe the traffic boys on here can confirm if they do work or not?
The one's on the M5 certainly do.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Ben 10
As a rough guide MLC, how many penalty notices are issued on a daily/weekly basis?
For the record . I have no connection with speed cameras. I do not work in, with or have any contact with those responsible for the installing, administering of, or general maintenance of cameras.

So sorry, I have no idea how many tickets are issued.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - Chris23
If you think it is bad now just wait 10 years. As I understand Road Pricing it will demand that "the great central computer" knows where every car is all the time & what speed it is doing. This will mean speed cameras are effectively everywhere & all the time.

More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - daveyjp
Having experienced crossing the road Kuala Lumpur with these countdowns for traffic absoultely not - Malaysian grand prix style starts at every set of lights.
I think the easiest solution with traffic light cameras is to have a delay on them so they only trigger after the light has been on red for two seconds. This gives that extra buffer and should take away the panic aspect so much. When I approach a junction with light cameras I am more concerned about watching for an amber light than watching out for the safety :(.

Countdowns would be a very good idea.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - daveyjp
"When I approach a junction with light cameras I am more concerned about watching for an amber "

Rattle - a green light will only go to amber, on approach prepare for it doing so.

If you had a counter you would have advance warning that it was to change in say 5 seconds, what would you do? Slow steadily to arrive just as it changed or floor it to ensure you got through in 4 seconds? Now what would every other driver do? Some would slow, some would floor it - you need to legislate for the latter which is why Countdowns are a very bad idea.

If you slowed you can guarantee someone behind would floor it and overtake you - I've had this happen on lights without counters.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - rogue-trooper
How do you have the safest roads in the world? Is it purely by having the lowest death toll? If that is the case then surely banning motorbikes and foreign lorries are 2 steps that would help. Then we might as well stop the police chasing anyone as there are a fair number killed during the chase. etc etc.

NB - I am not advocating banning motor bikes but just trying to show the inconsistency of the argument.
More speed cameras planned for UK roads. - TurboD
banning peds would be a good start too- they are reckless and wander across the road at will.
Also, why sell cars they are capable of incredible speeds if you don't expect the buyer to use it?
Mental thought procees the Government must have, ah, but then they can get you to buy an expensive fast motor and fine you for using it- brilliant.

The power of cars is totally at variance with the room on the road and the ever decrasing limits.