Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 23 *****

***** This thread follows on from VOLUME 21 *****

Another thread for commenting on rare, unusual, old or just plain daft cars etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/05/2009 at 03:20

Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Harleyman
A nce tidy Hillman Imp (1971 model in a turquoise-blue colour) parked near Treorchy on Tuesday.

Didn't look like a "show" car, just clean and well-kept; exactly how I like to see cars of that vintage.

Another regular "rarity" I see on my travels is a 1964 Singer Vogue which is parked on the main road in Llanwrtyd Wells. Seems to be there regularly so I'm assuming it's never garaged. It's in tidy condition for its age too.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 01:20

Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Bromptonaut
A moss coloured Singer Chamois on an E(67) being trailered up the M1 yesterday. Original colour was probably a copper brown but had clearly been in shaded open storage for some years.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 01:21

Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - captain chaos
A black Austin Cambridge on my daily commute northboumd on the M6, doesn't hang about either. Lovely straight clean body and in remarkably good order for a pre-suffix registered classic in daily use.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2009 at 01:20

Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - lotusexige
Around here, North Ilford there is a Volvo Coupe (P1800?), the type that the Saint used to drive. Have seen it on the road but not often. Also a TR7 which has been in someones drive for a couple of yeras and there has recently appeared a Triumph Stag.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - stunorthants26
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser in white on the A45 going at spot on the speed limit, on a D-plate.
Bit crusty round the edges but thats not bad for a Ford thats 23 years old.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Pebble
Two Ford Pintos this week, one was the station wagon version--remember the panel wagon version, complete with little round windows on the sides? Rad, dudes! Where's my surfboard?
I take it they'd had the plastic bolt shields fitted for the gas tank, Pebble? ;-)
I take it they'd had the plastic bolt shields fitted for the gas tank Pebble?
;-)

Heyheyhey now! No dissing Pintos! They only explode periodically. Both my sister's first car and my wife-to-be's first car were Pintos, my sister's being possibly the ugliest shade of blue I've ever seen. They were one tough little car, sis and I went in hers from our hometown in southern Minnesota to the Dakotas to get her set up at university...lovely car, lovely trip.

Edited by Pebble on 22/04/2009 at 06:42

Heyheyhey now! No dissing Pintos! >>

Easy Pebble, not dissing Pintos at all! Saw a Pintos bigger brother at the last car meet, a '72 Maverick. Outstanding condition, but not original. Had a V8 shoehorned in. Sounded really nice and went like a rocket. Haven't seen a Pinto for ages, it's usually Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs over here
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Statistical outlier
I saw a mint-looking Sierra Cosworth outside our local Tesco Express on Sunday morning.

I presume that the driver was in the shop - his mate was standing guard over the car (it's not in the best of areas). Hadn't seen one for years, and as someone else commented on here recently, it's a surprisingly narrow car.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - mike hannon
I'll put this here, as it didn't get noticed on the other thread and I'm getting desperate to see something interesting.
On Sunday I went to an open day at a garden machinery centre in Limoges and had a test drive on a (UK-made the guy insisted) Countax 4WD lawn tractor. It was in full Williams F1 team livery, complete with leather steering wheel, Williams team livery dust cover and a matching wallet for the instruction book.
It was certainly noisy enough to qualify for F1 and it's grip in the wet was excellent!
I spotted a 1981/82 TVR ( Tasmin ) 280i FHC yesterday in light blue. Dont think ive ever seen one but they never made that many did they?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - daveyjp
All on Sunday on the M1.

Lancia Gamma Coupe - B reg and no rust!
Fiat X1-9 - F reg and no rust!
Lotus Elite - early 70s.
Lancia Gamma Coupe - B reg and no rust!

Fiat X1-9 - F reg and no rust!
Lotus Elite - early 70s. <<

Three cars you wouldnt expect to start, let alone make it to the M1. All rather lovely though.
Yesterday afternoon in the Lot, a Ford Model A tourer, about 1930; an Austin Healey 'frogeye' Sprite, about 1958, and a lovely 'coal scuttle' Renault 2-seater from about 1910, all going like the clappers up a long steepish hill!
This afternoon in a village south of Limoges I got talking to a Norwegian guy on the terrace of a little bar and, as ever, the talk turned to cars. He said (in near-perfect English!) 'if you want to see something interesting, walk down the street and look in the office window of the old garage, if you can see through the dust - the man who owned it won the Monte Carlo Rally once and his cups and winner's laurel wreath are still there'. He was right, too. I didn't have time to hang around and ask questions but I wonder who the driver was?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Alby Back
I really wanted a frogeye Mike. I mean really wanted one. I never realised that dream but did manage a chrome bumper Midget and a Mk 1 Spitfire. Too late now and anyway I suspect it would disappoint. Still like to look at them though.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Avant
I was overtaken on the M4 this afternoon by a white, official-looking motorbike whose rider had AMBULANCE emblazoned on his yellow jacket. Has cost-cutting come to such a pass that a patient now has to ride pillion?
I'm sure I've seen those before Avant. I think they are paramedics. Maybe they are these "first responder" types.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Pugugly
Don't be silly - if you go to the BMW website you'll see the "VarioStrecher" fits across the panniers ! :-)
I used to ski a lot. I was therefore fortunate enough to go and work for a Swiss company in my early adult life. A Swiss pal of mine had a weekend job as a ski paramedic. He was charged with getting injured people off the mountain by towing them on his skis on a stretcher ( spelling? ) pulled behind him. I went with him a few times and it was quite something to see.

What the heck that has to do with motoring beats me but he did have a very nice Mk2 Scirocco at the time and I had a Cortina 2.0S so maybe that counts a bit.......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 23/04/2009 at 20:35

Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - borasport20
He was charged with getting injured people off
the mountain by towing them on his skis on a stretcher ( spelling? ) pulled
behind him. I went with him a few times and it was quite something to
see.

apparently, is is also something to experience, but only once (according to SWMBO, who has had the opportunity to have been retreived from the slopes in such a manner. Apparently it was far faster than she'd ever skied under her own power ;-))
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Yesterday, a dark green Jowett Jupiter, near Flagg in deepest Derbyshire. Was 'making progress' as well.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - 1400ted
Green Jowett Jupiter ? Probably AG, lives in Buxton. Regular poster on Jowett forum..

Ted
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - henry k
An original shape mini. It was bright orange and appropriately on Dutch plates.
It looked very strange because it had been equiped with the widest wheel spacers I have ever seen, so wide the wheels appeared to be almost totally outside the bodywork ( but with extra wide wheel arch spats fitted ) .
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - softopdriver
A yellow Austin/Morris Marina van (ex BT or whatever they were called back in the early to mid 80's). I didn't catch the registration as it was on the opposite carriageway partly obscured by bushes but I'd guess it would be 25 years old now, it looked in a reasonable condition body wise. How the heck did such an awful car manage to survive for so long, especially one that will have been put to work all its life?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - bathtub tom
I don't think BT ever used Marina based vans.

At that time IIRC they were exclusively Vauxhall HA, except for the old Moggie Minors re-painted yellow.
Perhaps it was a van version of the Morris Ital?

I saw an Aston Martin today, looked like an early V8 possibly but it was going quite quickly. Carrying plates circa 1974 and in gold.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - AlastairW
BT definitely hat Ital vans in the early eighties. I regularly saw them being screamed away from the exchange on my way to school.
This was a good one--yesterday, a refrigerator white 1954 Packard Patrician 4 door sedan, having its transmission checked out at a shop where I was making a delivery. I keep seeing this car in my hood, so it must be somebody's daily driver. Stupendous, beautiful car.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Chas{P}
Avenger Tiger M reg in immaculate condition just outside Coventry on the A45 eastbound going past its birthplace at Ryton.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - commerdriver
Avenger Tiger

Nice car - for an Avenger, I had a couple of school friends, twin boys, whose parents got them one between them when we were at university, at the time we thought they were soooo lucky.
IIRC one of them wrote it off within about a year.

Edited by commerdriver on 27/04/2009 at 10:48

A BMW 2002, in orange, on the A6 in Stockport. When I was a lad a friends mum had a 2002ti in the same colour. It was horribly unreliable and was replaced by a Mk1 Fiesta 1.3 after she wrote it off on an ice patch on the way to work.
I saw a Rolls-Royce Phantom drop-top the other day. I never thought I would see one of these given how rare they will be. There is a guy in town who has a saloon but this was the soft-top one like the 100EX and it had the top down.
It was also being driven by a middle-aged woman and at some pace too.
Saw a thing yesterday near Nantwich on the A500. Looked a bit like a Mk2 Jag but much smaller. Something about it made me think of an Austin 1100. Might have been some sort of kit. Not sure but whatever it was it was horrible. Only caught a glance so can't be sure of any detail.

Also saw an '81 Vauxhall Chevette saloon in blue nearby. Immaculate and apparently unmolested. Occupied/driven by a very elderly couple. Of course I don't know this to be true but I want them to have had it from new. Shone like a new pin.
Humph,

That was some Japanese take on the S type - I think it runs on Micra mechanicals - girl in work had one for many years - distinctive and reliable.
Oh OK. I quite like those little Figaro things too. The one I could actually have use for is the "Cube". The Jagalike was pretty grim to look at though.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - bell boy
i tried to buy one of these about 5 years ago,i assume it was micra underneath but not sure
to pu

Edited by bell boy on 26/04/2009 at 21:51

After a bit of googling. It was a Mitsuoka Viewt. It would seem.
what a beauty,it must have been my post modern era that made me think i wanted one of those :-(
I see a Mitsuoka quite regularly around Leeds.

Saw an Allegro estate on Saturday - for sale if anyone is interested! Should sell quickly though as it was white, which I understand is the new colour to be seen in.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - softopdriver
Saw an Allegro estate on Saturday - for sale if anyone is interested! Should sell
quickly though as it was white which I understand is the new colour to be
seen in.

It's a pity the car itself is one you wouldn't be seen dead in. We had a horrid green one until about 1991, the underside was basically just black sealant and no metal by the end.
anybody remember the check straps on the rear axle so it didnt fall off while traversing a hump back bridge or a ramp for maintainance
At least a dozen recent TVRs coming into Chesterfield. I was filling up at the Total garage and one or two did likewise. The Sagaris's looked stunning and out of this world.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - redviper
I saw 4 TVR, Tuscons on the M1 North just south of Leeds yesterday (Sunday) all in a row, they looked brilliant
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - lotusexige
Say a Jensen CV8 last Friday on the Eastern Avenue from Romford to Gants Hill. Can't remember when I kast saw one, if ever.
A Honda Jazz - well an original one from the early 90s modelled on the Frontera bodystyle - for sale in a distant corner of Wales this weekend.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - CQ
At the Hertz portacabin at Stratford-on-Avon railway station a 1963 "A" suffix soft top Morris Minor ready for hire. Dodgy looking motor with gaps over the doors you could put your arm through.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Lud
This evening, just outside, a two-tone Austin A30, sounded healthy and looked it apart from being a shade down at the rear, restored obviously, cute little thing by today's standards, aaaaah!
Thing which always strikes me when you see older cars is how much smaller they were than modern ones. Maybe not a bad thing. I seem to remember someone pointing out that an Aston Martin DB4 occupies the same amount of road as a modern Ford Focus. That might be rubbish of course. I saw an Austin Cambridge the other day. When I was a child they seemed to be big cars but this one looked quite dainty.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Sofa Spud
This is especially true of the old 'proper' Mini. They look absolutely tiny now, since we've got used to the New Mini as the norm. And BMW are now developing an even bigger version of the Mini theme, called the Crossman, which is a soft-roader SUV!

But this is just going full-circle, since the Issigonis' original Mini's styling was a scaled down version of a larger design for a rear-wheel drive car, of which a prototype was made, but it never went into production.

Re. the growth in car sizes - a case in point is that recent versions of the VW Polo are bigger than the original VW Golf. I would guess that the VW Fox is bigger than the original Polo too.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 02/05/2009 at 11:46

Parked outside an autojumble in Limoges today, a UK-registered, lovely condition, chain-drive Frazer-Nash from - i guess - about 1928. Full marks to whomever drove it down here - they have no suspension, turn at 90deg if you sneeze and sometimes need you to boil a chain in oil at the side of the road. Beautiful though and attracting a lot of attention in the usual boring line of Dauphines, 2CVs and Peugeot 304 coupes.
When I told a group of admirers (of the car, not me) that it was chain drive they didn't believe me until someone peered underneath.
Next to it was a Jowett Jupiter that I know lives around here - that attracted a pretty big crowd as well.
Saw a latish Alfasud this afternoon. Not too rusty, but sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Rattle
Wow, almost 27 years of being on this plannet I can't remember the last time I saw an Alfasud.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Marc
Citroen C6 with a private plate on the M4. First one I've seen. Not as stunning as I expected it would be I have to say.
In Surbiton, TWO Silver RR Phantoms in convoy complete with ribbons and flowers, en route to a wedding.
The recession is missing some folks :-)
Some 1950's rusting heap parked in a hedge near Lutterworth Leics. Not sure what it was as most of it had hedge grown around it but looked possibly like a Morris.

Unusual as its the first car in undergrowth ive seen in my area, unlike Sussex which was full of them everywhere - I suspect this is because we have far less wooded areas than Sussex in this part of the country ( mainly farmland ).
a road train on the A1 about 2 weeks ago somewhere retford ish,i was held up for half an hour not knowing why until all these waggons came by pushing and pulling a very heavy load,it was certainly worth seeing with all the police cars involved as well-
ive blanked my mugshot out in the mirror in case children are scared by it

i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/yingtinktong/Photo...g

as you can see i only got part of all the trucks involved and didnt even get to photo the load itself
Surely the load is clearly indicated on the side of the vehicles?

Must have been half empty as I read the other day that beer consumption is well down.
my glass is always half empty-never half full
ive been to the ale website but theres no pictures of this load,im surprised because it was major,i havent seen anything like this for 40 years but i do live in a cave
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - BobbyG
Used to know someone who worked for ALE and visited their yard and saw the eqpt they use and had a play with the remote control trucks. Amazing stuff and they have a selection of photos in their offices showing some of the projects they have worked on.

IIRC one project involved taking a turbine through an English village and it had 6 inches to spare going through the main street between a wall and a church. I remember asking how they planned these routes.

They are allowed to remove all road furniture as long as they are re installed immediately after. Once they scraped out the road under a bridge to give them the clearance they needed and then re surfaced it after they were through!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - pony
bell boy re, your pics , in pic 2 you can see what i thought was just a spare cab off a seddon atki ? they were hauling as well as the load probably to next yard? but on pic 3 theres actually someone in that cab !!! so the company must have mounted it properly on tail end of trailer as some kind of man operated rear wheel steer ! fantastic !
yes i see it,didnt take much notice at the time but yes it is
theres a waggon cab at scarborough pier in the dodgems as well, its a leyland cab i seem to remember
------------------------hold on tight girls
Just been to a car boot sale and old car show a few kilometres from home and - 1: met a guy with two Pontiacs from the late 1940s, who wants to sell me a Rover P5B coupe; just over the hill from where I live but never met him before; 2: met the doyen of English residents in this part of France, who has quite a significant car collection and is well-known in the old car world; when I told him I had never driven a proper vintage car he invited us to dinner and a drive of his lovely 1930 Peugeot. Yippee!
At the same event there were tractors including no less than four makes - all German - that I had never come across before, and all still in use at 50-60 years old.
Saw a Reliant Robin near the Trafford Centre this morning. It was a bit different, everything rear of the B post removed and a wooden dropside pickup fitted.

Ted
Ted, there's a photo for you at the top of the obituary page of today's Telegraph. You will of course recognise the dark jalopy on the right behind the beautiful, unfortunately late, lady. Note too the AA (or RAC, I forget) badge on its grille...

Both the other cars will also be recognisable to you, as they are to me. But not to everyone here I think.

Edited by Lud on 04/05/2009 at 15:07

Ford Consul MK1 and Austin Devon or Somerset?
Just found the picture on line....agree with Ford and the Devon. Black car a little indistict but I'd go for another Devon. Wasn't she a stunner tho' ?

Ted
I'd go for another Devon.

Ted, your failure to recognise the Javelin caused me to doubt my own judgement for a while, but I have found Maxime de la Falaise's obit again and, although she is doing a good job of concealing it in the photo, it really does look like a Javelin. The headlights and grille (if you look at the grille carefully) in particular, but one can also see that the bonnet is as stubby as one remembered and the steering wheel set rather high. And the A40 Devon across the road has a flat screen, unlike the black car...

I heard Marianne Faithfull and a dodgy element called Nicky Haslam rabbiting about the lady on the wireless yesterday or so. It was fairly obvious that neither of them had really known her.
Lud...Don't get the Telegraph.......no girly pics ! ( 0nly kidding ) Who was she and the cars ?

Ted
BT was right about the other two. The third of course was a shiny black or dark-coloured Javelin. You can only see the front end.

Can't remember the lady's names, but she was Mark Birley's sister and married a French aristo. A considerable beauty I would say.

And while on this subject, what do you mean 'no girlie pictures'? The Telegraph's been doing them very page threeishly for some time now. Just last week there was a huge colour picture on the front page of Carla Bruni and the wife of the Spanish Crown Prince clip-clipping up a staircase in super dresses and shoes with their very nice backs turned. Phwoar! as they say.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - maz64
Embarrassed by your car? -
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/8030766.stm

I suppose if the camera was anywhere else you would lose the effect, but pretty clever nonetheless.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Rattle
Seen a not so tidy Morris Marina camper van, the badge on back said "Morris Deluxe" it was a 73? L reg. Had bits of rust and it needed a respray but looked perfectly solid. I had a quick look at the dash and the only feature it seemed to have was a speed gauge! What did Deluxe stand for? Cloth seats?

It looks like it was just a van which had been professionaly converted from new.

I saw a Morris Minor yesterday it was the rare model with trafficators not sure it had the side valve or A series lump though.

Edited by Rattle on 05/05/2009 at 12:33

Yesterday in Nottingham, Mark II Zephyr Estate in black and red. Unusual even in their day and built by a subcontractor to Ford - Abbot IIRC?

This morning a yellow Westfield , hood up in the heavy rain. Hope they had a chamois to wipe the rain off the inside!
Just now, at the other end of the block in the rat run there, followed a recent large front-engined Ferrari - do they still make a V12? - appropriately in rat look, matt black.

I don't lust after cars like that as much as I used to but I would give that owner full marks for taste.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - DP
A mint, G registration MG Maestro EFI in British Racing Green. My second this year!

Looked fan-bleedin-tastic. Far better than I ever remember it looking when it was current.

Cheers
DP
Over the weekend:

A "land crab" near Hopwood Park services
A Montego on the M4
A B reg Mk 1 Sierra Estate

Lud the Ferrari would probably be a 612 Scaglietti - replacement for the 456 GT.
It might have been either perhaps, I don't keep up with modern supercars. Very fine handsome beast though. Made at those back street speeds a nice quiet crooning noise too...

Edited by Lud on 07/05/2009 at 00:21

Triumph Dolomite 1500 HL in yellow, tired but taxed, wearing a late 70s plate. Parked in Tesco in a disabled space.
Triumph 2000 in white, '64 on a B plate, in Ampthill, Beds. When were they introduced?
>>When were they introduced?<<

1963 MK1, 1969 MK2.
Just seen my first 'new' French number plate, ie the first new car I've seen anywhere since the plates were introduced nearly a month ago. Sad really - a simple system has been changed for one that takes away the easily recognisable local identity of the vehicle.
Just before that I was in a supermarket car park and spotted a guy in a wheelchair (only one leg I think but I didn't like to get close and stare) with a BMW K100 or K75 motorcycle and sidecar. As I watched furtively from a distance he parked the wheelchair beside the bike, heaved himself up and sideways into the seat, then folded and lifted the wheelchair over his head and into the sidecar, before departing.
Dunno what to think really - brave guy I guess...
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - JH
Can I mention motorbikes? Two 3 wheelers in Northwich today (Thundersprint tomorrow). Unusual in that they had two wheels at the front, Morgan fashion. They looked "manufactured" and very smart . Foreign plates, possibly Dutch.
JH
Today, parked in the front yard of a church on the corner of my street and Harrow Road, a dark grey metallic Aston Martin Vantage, the original one with the bodycolour blanking plate over the main front grille. In very fair condition too with light patina of proper use.

Essence of British beef, the only Aston model made since the early sixties I have really fancied. I wonder whose it is? Music industry or its fringes I shouldn't wonder. Some of those characters have fair taste in jalopies.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - ifithelps
Two, yes two, new model Bentley convertibles within a few miles around Yarm in Cleveland.

Both had the hood down, one black, one light metallic blue.

Both headturners, but the blue one was the real looker.
Newish black Porsche 911 being badly driven by a white haired guy well past his sell by date.
It had a boy racer elevated fixed rear spoiler. Some people have no taste :-(

Llandrillo yn Rhos - Colwyn Bay opposite the college there is a newish 911 shaped Porsche with (wait for it..............) roof bars.....rather untidily parked on the pavement when I saw it a few weeks ago.
Probably one of those solicitors or somesuch who has taken up mountain biking recently....You know the sort.....

;-)
:-)
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Obviously a lot of older cars out on Bank Holiday Monday. In Horncastle (Lincs) I saw an immaculate Nash Metropolitan. These were licence built in UK by Austin, I think. The only downside was that it was finished in two tone ivory/pink - it looked a bit Barbie!
Travelling north on the M1 just past Nottingham on Sunday (24th of May) afternoon, I saw a Hillman Imp, and a MGB (I think) travelling together, both looked immaculate.

30 miles further north - a MK1 Ford Cortina, in a deep purple colour, it looked like it had just come off the production line, it sparkled.
The driver had a SAT Nav stuck to the windscreen of it.
just come down the A19 from middlesborough
saw a 1976 saab going north
a 1962 consul going south
and a chicken having a walk in the gutter on the A1 just before the junction with the A59
and a chicken having a walk in the gutter on the A1 just before the
junction with the A59

waiting to cross the road probably, but i wonder why
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Martin Devon
>> and a chicken having a walk in the gutter on the A1 just before the junction with the A59. waiting to cross the road probably but i wonder why

To get to the other side?

MD
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Armitage Shanks {p}
No - to see his 'flat' mate! Boom boom!
Mothballed car - unrecognisable - smokie
In today's currant bun - tinyurl.com/oru784
Unusual Sightings - Volume 22 - Andy P
I was passed by an orange Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera today in Bebington - hear the thing before I saw it. Even at 30mph it was damn loud.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/05/2009 at 01:49

I saw one on the M6 a couple of months ago in the same general area - can there be two ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/05/2009 at 01:49

Yesterday afternoon heading south through Surrey/Sussex, saw coming the other way widely separated (but some connection perhaps) three relatively humble Vintage (note uppercase=pre 1931) cars. Couldn't recognise the first, but the second was I think a Clyno and the third looked like an Amilcar although it was a saloon. If it was an Amilcar it was the classiest of the bunch. But cars eighty years old and still driven on the road are all classy.

Edited by Lud on 28/05/2009 at 04:01

Well done Lud, Thank goodness there are still people out there who can distinguish between a Clyno and an Amilcar!
I thought I was going to book a really unusual sighting when in the UK last week - the much-missed Dave Lacey, of Backroom 'technical matters' fame, at my son's wedding do. Unfortunately, being not as young as I used to be, I gave up and went to bed before he arrived.
I did see half-a-dozen nice Jowetts heading west through Taunton, though, obviously to a club event somewhere. All Javelins but for one 1930s two-cylinder saloon.
Mike,

National Jowett weekend at Bideford...didn't go but Club Forum posters deemed it a great success.

Ted
This morning near Chelmorton, a dull green Standard 8. The only family car without a boot lid IIRC. Think you had to fold the backrest down to access your luggage. The later Standard 10 rectified that.