Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 24 *****

***** This thread follows on from VOLUME 22 *****

Another thread for commenting on rare, unusual, old or just plain daft cars etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Webmaster on 10/07/2009 at 23:33

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - mike hannon
Called to see a friend this morning - I've mentioned him recently because he already owns 2 remarkable 1940s Pontiacs and a tidy Rover 3.5 coupe. He's just arrived back near Limoges from Canterbury with his latest acquisition, an Austin 16 of around 1929, after an epic solo drive which involved an exploding radiator near Lille and a return to UK for a replacement, a failing carburettor near the same place on the second attempt, roadside help from a Czech lorry driver without a word of English and being ordered off the autoroute by gendarmes concerned he couldn't travel fast enough even though the road was - as usual - nearly empty.
Forget about lining up in a field of a Sunday and polishing your wheelnuts (yes, I'm as guilty as many) - this to me is unsung motoring heroism.
If I wasn't so lazy I'd write a magazine article...
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - BobbyG
Remember in the late 80's the boy racers had the strip of lights in the back window that had indicators and brake lights in it. This was before the third brake light became fashionable or compulsary.

Well saw a peugeot 406, S reg today and it had one on the back parcel shelf! Tacky does not even begin to describe it ...........

Also saw hundreds of convertibles with their roofs down (was always told it was rooves but that doesn't look right). However the most unusual was seeing an elderly lady, probably 70s or even 80, driving out her driveway in Hamilton today in an absolutely mint condition 2CV, the one in burgundy and black with the roof rolled back. She also had a huge smile on her face. Good luck to her !!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - softopdriver
I saw a very tidy looking bronze coloured Renault 5 on the opposite carriageway yesterday, I think on an E or F plate which would make it 20 years old. It really looked very 80's, with all those angles and straight lines and not a curve in sight.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - CQ
Gritters out on the A429 near J15 of the M40 yesterday afternoon, someone in their wisdom had top dressed the road with tar and chippings on a hot day and already two "bald" tramlines had appeared by five o'clock.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - 1400ted
Something went past my house early this morning with 3 tyres and one steel wheel...made a hell of a racket at 5 am.......not a sight seen very often nowadays.

Ted
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - JH
A young man driving along, one hand on the wheel, the other firmly gripping the A pillar. I remember people hanging onto the roof many years ago ("do they think it's going to blow off?" my Dad would say) but it's not something I've seen for years.

In a similar vein, a small van went passed today in the opposie direction today. The front passenger, a woman I think, was firmly gripping the grab handle with both hands. And he was driving ever so gently!

There's nowt as queer as folk.

JH
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Pugugly
That is so strange - saw a guy hanging onto his roof today and I thought that it was years since I saw that.
That is so strange - saw a guy hanging onto his roof today and I
thought that it was years since I saw that.

...just like the guy i passed recently who had his drivers window wound right down, and appeared to be conducting the music he was listening to on Classic FM with his right arm fully out of the window.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - captain chaos
At a BP garage just outside Kendal, last week. A Jowett Jupiter, lovely condition. Didn't hang about when it set off, either.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Marc
A 'straight out of the box' 79/80V Citroen CX 'Athena' in a very period light blue met. Absolute minter keeping up with modern day traffic on the A34 today.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Lud
keeping up with modern day traffic

You'd have to go back to the twenties or further to find something that couldn't...
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Marc
">> keeping up with modern day traffic"

It did have surprisingly rapid acceleration though. I was quite surprised.
I drove past a very handsome Rover P6 yesterday, it was parked up in a shopping centre parking bay and clearly still in regular use. The colour was a kind of deep red, but not quite burgundy, and I think it had a black vinyl roof from the fleeting glimpse I had of it. The wheels were possibly Rostyle? Anyway it was very similar to this one:

www.roverp6.info/Passion%20GB.htm

It looked rather small and narrow against todays modern cars though.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - bell boy
i think?
2 bentley blowers going south on the A1 m1 link road made me look slow ,one had A1 **** ? on the number plate
beautiful they were in a sea of boring rep mobiles

Edited by bell boy on 09/06/2009 at 14:10

Parked one behind the other legally on the pavement near here yesterday: a Porsche 911 Carrera with four exhaust pipes, a Cayman S and a Boxter S, all newish and impeccable. Unsurprisingly, outside Island Records' studio - an old chapel - in Basing Street. Some people still managing to earn a crust it seems... and Tin Pan Alley suits have an eye for horseflesh.

Saw a brand new Cayman today parked outside the Odeon in Harrogate - nice car. The other unusual sighting here was a shiny red Morris Ital on an x plate. I was so taken by this that I missed an exotic sports car seen by and remarked upon by my companion.

Conversation viz:

Companion "What's that car ?"

Self "1982 Morris Ital"

Comp. "Not that one the lovely red swoopy sports car looking like it cost a million dollars in front of the 1980s shed"

Self "Sorry I must have missed it - I was focussed on the Ital"

The things you do to post on this thread.

Anyway saw a DB6 as well - that was a minter.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Harleyman
Two rather lovely vintage cars on the A40 betweeen Llandeilo and Llandovery this afternoon. I was going t'other way in the lorry so I didn't get chance to see what they were, but both had a sign on the front which said "Gordon Bennett Rally".

Wondered why our friend hadn't been on here for a bit!
A59 between Harrogate and Skipton in a roadside garage - a series 1 XJ6 estate - a very rare breed of cat.
Anybody find a pic? I've never seen or heard of this one. I tried for ages to find a Lynx Eventer - the estate conversion of the XJS - without success but I don't recall ever hearing of an XJ6 conversion.
I'll try to get a photo for you tomorrow - it was covered in a canvas sheet when I passed today.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - AlastairW
Was it an Avon, do you think

www.aronline.co.uk/images/avonxj6_02.jpg

(hope the link works). Rear hatch adapted from Renault 5 apparently
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Alby Back
XJS estate ? Eublinkinreka !!!!!

;-)
tinyurl.com/mktcvw

Series 3
Those XJS estates... a couple of coachbuilt examples.

Poncy thing though, hardly a workhorse chaps, eh? A Reliant GTE would be better really if you wanted something like that. Not that a sane person would...
Wibble wibble.......
Wibble wibble.......

As you say HB, as you say.
Thanks for the XJ estate links guys. The series III one looks really tasty to me.
Mike,

I'll snap the one I saw on Thursday on my way home from where I am now.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Rattle
Seen three unusual cars today in Didsbury all in drives

1) An old 1960's Volvo in a bad state in a drive
2) An orange Bond Minicar actually in good knick but didn't look road worthy.
3) A MK1 Golf left hand drive but UK registered, in very very good nick and its a base spec model, must be quite rare now.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Old Navy
Not in the same league as a XJ6 estate, but a early hatchback. An Austin A40 doing a steady 50mph heading north on the M90 this afternoon.

Edited by Old Navy on 12/06/2009 at 21:11

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Old Navy
Missed the edit :-

It was tiny compared to the modern cars, even my MK2 Focus.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - bathtub tom
They seemed positively spacious after my A35.
spaceship size after an austin 7
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - P.Mason {P}
A blue, yellow and chrome Arial Atom,driven by someone in full 'Stig' gear, this afternoon in Petersfield
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - commerdriver
Lots of nice ones out this weekend
Saw a bright red Hillman Super Minx estate on the M25 with what looked like (according to my wife) an Austin A40 style pedal car in the load area complete with the flying A badge
That would be a J40 pedal car I think. Probably worth more than the real thing these days...
I passed a couple of lovely Citroen DSs on Saturday, one in a pale powder blue, the other in a two tone claret/cream - both absolutely stunning and making good progress in modern traffic and loaded up for a long weekend away at a show no doubt. One was on a C plate, the other a D. The two tone car was badged DS21.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - redviper
round the corner from where i live There is a Mk1 Golf convertable in a brown colour, still in daily use, and it looks like it just rolled of the production line.
Its number plates are Yellow rear, and white front, but are of the bevelled variety.

There is in the next town to me, a bright yellow Mk1 Astra Saloon (the only one ive ever seen), again in showroom condition but with horrible brown seats and interior still in daily use.

Edited by redviper on 15/06/2009 at 18:25

Today, parked in the Moroccan Quarter round the corner, one of those snorting-monster Lexus V8s in an IS200 body. Mean looking thing. Would quite fancy one suitably debadged and distressed.
Parked in a residential street in Harrogate

Jaguar XKF
Land Cruiser Amazon
Aston Martin Vantage
Various BMWs
and a er......Yugo 45
Oh and one of those Mitsubishi CCZ cars - bizarrely with a shiny tarpaulin stretched across its (no doubt) leaking roof.
Saw a Nissan Pao at the end of our road yesterday and a Cityrover parked in the village this afternoon. I'd quite like a Pao...but not the other !
Ted
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - scouseford
In Liverpool today a new Bentley ESTATE CAR. Couldn't believe my eyes.
In Liverpool today a new Bentley ESTATE CAR. Couldn't believe my eyes.

>>>>> eh? who made that then? intrigued of yorkshire? photos?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - henry k
I hope it was a better job than this.
www.babez.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/vgd-bentle...g

Ah thats a bit better
www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/bentleyflyingspur.html

www.bentleyspotting.com/2007/03/sultan-of-brunei-d...l
Google produced detail of this very unusual varient

Bentley Turbo 4x4 Estate Car ( sold by Chelsea Workshop )
colour Stratos Silver
interior colour Blue
drive RHD
type Station Wagon
year 1990
mileage 48.280 km / 30.000 mi
price 125.000 GBP

Four wheel drive in first and reverse gear only.
i love them all
pity my numbers never came up tonight ;-(
never mind, one day i will buy a slottery ticket and it might be me
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - ifithelps
...in Liverpool today a new Bentley ESTATE CAR. Couldn't believe my eyes....

The links dug out by Henry K tell us the Sultan of Brunei and family own a good few of these.

One spotted in Liverpool and the football club could be in financial bother.

Sultan of Brunei to buy LFC.

Obvious, innit?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - scouseford
Funnily enough the one I saw was at Liverpool Cricket Club where I had been watching Lancashire being turned over by Hampshire. The Bentley Estate was at the official entrance to the ground and the driver (didn't look like a chauffeur) was in earnest conversation with a steward. Bentley or no Bentley, he didn't get access. He reversed the car and drove off. Come to think of it he was going in the direction of Anfield!!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - gmac
Went for a walk during lunchtime this week and came across a Mk1 Ford Granada Ghia automatic in burnt orange with stainless steel sills and black vinyl roof.

Very tidy condition for a thirty-something year old car.

Edited by gmac on 20/06/2009 at 22:05

Saw a nice black Jowett Javelin this morning actually running up and down my drive with me in it ! After 3 years off the road...about time too...now to finish all the other bits off.

Ted
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Sofa Spud
I saw one of the new VW Passat 4-door coupes - I didn't even know it had gone on sale yet.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - BobbyG
The Passat CC that has been out for a couple of years?
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Sofa Spud
It was a Passat CC, but I've never seen one before and I'm pretty sure it was only a few months ago that I saw the first official VW photos of it published in Autocar.

I checked on net and the true answer is a compromise between now and 2 years ago - it was introduced around April 2008!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 22/06/2009 at 11:49

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - stunorthants26
Ive seen a few around parked at Tesco, great looking car. Better looking than a CLS aswell!
Spotted in Bedford town centre the other weekend, a chrome plated Mercedes SL coupe or SLK (not quite sure, but a big Merc coupe). Obviously owned by someone with far more money than taste.
...a chrome plated Mercedes SL coupe...

Wasn't a footballer pictured driving one of these a few months ago?

this guy: news.mercedes-benz.co.uk/?p=7761

I caught the briefest glimpse of it, it could be that car or just an imitator!
During yesterdays lunchtime walk around the Düsseldorf 'burbs came across a Ford Capri XR2 (no I hadn't been drinking and got my Ford's mixed up).
What was unusual about this was it was badged as a Ford which would indicate it came from Australia rather than America where it would have been badged Mercury.
Seems like an odd car to ship halfway round the planet.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - bathtub tom
>>Seems like an odd car to ship halfway round the planet.

I knew of a Holden Corsa in the UK. The owner had relatives in that ex-penal colony somewhere south of madagascar, who had access to the badges.

{moved to the persons post who you're replying to}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/06/2009 at 13:45

This morning, just round the corner fifty yards away, in a P&D slot, a black Alfa 8C Competizione. No gear lever, just paddles.

If it goes half as well as it looks it must be fairly rapid.
They are beautiful looking cars but then that is Alfa for you.
I also think il Mostro is a good looking car - should have gone to a well known high street optician maybe ?
That black Alfa 8C coupe has been in a 4-hour p&d slot just round the corner from where I live in the same position - with its n/s rear quarter stuck out in the road inviting a scrape from a passing totter's Transit - for the last 48 hours.

Back in the sixties, when I had my Bentley, parking restrictions were very different from the way they are now. But with that car one could take arrogant rich-guy liberties with double yellows and so on and often get away with it. I wonder what happens these days? I know from the nearby parking arrangements at chucking-out time at my granddaughter's primary school that comromises can be made. I bet the negotiations are delicate though.

That Alfa is so drop-dead beautiful and evil looking that even a soulless, radio-equipped parking dalek would have to be impressed. But have these people no backbone? What do they vote, I wonder?
1921 Salmson - Alby Back
Just minutes ago in Nantwich on a trailer. A 1921 Salmson open top two seater with a boat tail body. Grey bodywork. Totally immaculate. No front brakes but rear drums. Apparently used for racing originally. Got chatting to the owner who is towing it down to France today. He told me it had a four cylinder engine which was originally designed for a WW1 aircraft. I was surprised at that but he assured me it was the case. If your are anywhere on the main routes between here and Portsmouth today you might see it being pulled behind a black Golf estate. Pleasing little thing.
1921 Salmson - BB
Ooooh, are you from Nantwich? Im currently residing in Barbridge.
1921 Salmson - Alby Back
Nice wee spot. Sometimes cycle there along the towpath when I'm not crocked from too much Delamere silliness!
1921 Salmson - BB
Yes, I usually cycle down the towpath too. Its chocca at the mo down here, barges everywhere!
1921 Salmson - Alby Back
Well, if anyone ever tells you they are convinced that they have just seen George Clooney, or maybe Pierce Brosnan in a certain light, cycling past on the Shroppie Union canal towpath, you'll know who it really was...... ( cough ).....

;-)
1921 Salmson - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Was out for lunch in a friends British Salmson ,Corsica bodied, 4 seat tourer last Friday. 1936 and with a 1700cc twin ohc engine (an overbore I surmise), has a tiny carburettor, the inlet manifold appears to be recessed within the cylinder head and is alleged to produce 55hp. The engine was built under licence from the French factory. Hard to imagine that propelling an aircraft- it struggled to do more than 50mph. Very pleasant to ride in though.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 30/06/2009 at 16:22

1921 Salmson - Alby Back
Well, like you I doubted the tale of the engines aircraft heritage so I did a little bit of research. Charitably, I think what the chap probably meant to say was that Salmson had a history of making aircraft engines as well. I still question whether the one fitted to his car could be traced back to that usage. Anyway, he was a pleasant fellow and I enjoyed looking at and chatting about his car whether or not he was...er....mistaken.

;-)
2CV diesel? - bathtub tom
Advert in our local rag:

1986 diesel Dolly special

I never knew they made one. Any information anyone?
2CV diesel? - bell boy
lud in his new chariot with stick on flames on the side
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>oops thats next week :-)
2CV diesel? - Lud
new chariot with stick on flames on the side

It hasn't got those bb. Doesn't need them to look flash. But oddly enough my niece-in-law, whose car it has been - obtained and main-dealer serviced in Sheffield - told me that when she test-drove a Cruiser back in 2001 the example provided was a black one with those stick-on flames. She's a very able girl (fortyish actually, but a girl to me). Generous but canny too (see below).

I am enjoying its classy interior and air conditioning, but it's bringing out the Rattle in me. I see that it is due a cambelt change on age (rather than mileage) more or less now. Damn! I wonder what my man round the corner will soak me for that? A bit more than for the Ford I bet. Will it hold out until I've got the money?

Edited by Lud on 30/06/2009 at 16:45

2CV diesel? - bell boy
under 3 hours it says lud (2.0 litre yes)
so depends what your man charges
2CV diesel? - Lud
Phew, thanks bb. Won't be the end of the world then...
In Chester yesterday, a hearse. Not unusual, but this one was a Bentley (please don't ask which one!) and it was in a very dignified battleship grey rather than black. Very elegant. If you can't take it with you at least you can spend it on the way.
JH
Oh dear. Not all that unusual really. In here an hour ago heard a bang outside. Sounded like the clang of metal but some front doors sound like that when slammed.

It was the clang of metal. A Focus with front n/s damage, terminal; an A3 with front o/s damage, body but expensive, bonnet sprung, bumper hanging down. The Focus had its n/s front wheel at that awful broken-limb angle and was in my street at the end of my block's residents' slot, at a funny angle. The A3 was just round the corner. You couldn't tell what had happened. Two glum geezers on their mobiles. Obviously the back-up was taking for ever.

They were both silver cars. Our new car will be silver. Oo-er!
Now then! Don't lose your nerve...
Porche Carrera GT ( with illegal number plates ) at Leatherhead yesterday.
Sounded impressive as he gave it some welly under the M25 bridge.
Still asking £259K ish for a 4/5 year old model.

There are vast numbers of expensive cars in my area but it still stands out from the rest.
A Lady Penelope style three-door Rolls Royce on the M1, near the M62 junction.

It was on an ordinary 58-reg doing a steady 80 in the outside lane

A weird looking beast.

A bling Range Rover on the northern outskirts of Bradford.

Not so unusual, but it had ivory metallic paint which changed hue as the light fell on it from different directions - yuk.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - daveyjp
A Lady Penelope style three-door Rolls Royce on the M1 near the M62 junction.
It was on an ordinary 58-reg doing a steady 80 in the outside lane
A weird looking beast.

Agree I saw one parked up and had a nose in the windows - despite the size of the thing the back seat legroom looked very tight. The front end lights aren't too attracttive either.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - maz64
Lancia Stratos in rally paint trundling around Asda Lower Earley car park a few weeks ago. Don't know how authentic it was but looked and sounded pretty good.
Lancia Stratos !

d r o o l !!!! One of my all time favourites.

JH

Edited by JH on 30/06/2009 at 19:38

Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Armitage Shanks {p}
I was at a School Prom the other evening, where the idea seems to be arrive in a REALLY nice car! There was some some splendid Amercan material including a Dodge Coronet an AMC Javelin and a 60s Mustang; fabulous condition and nice burbling V8s. At the other end of the scale there were 2 Trotters vans, an WW2 Humber staff car and a fire-engine converted into a mobile disco with the dance floor inside!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - old crocks
A Chrysler 300c on the M3 heading towards London on sunday evening.

Bright orange, bling wheels and a Lithuanian plate.

I prefer something a little more understated!
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - Mookfish
Last week at a petrol station in Liverpool, a yellow Saab 96 V4 in immaculate condition, could have just left the showroom.
A Lotus Esprit, on the A49 near Acton Bridge on Sunday evening. Lovely.

JH
Seen that red VX 220 up that way recently JH ? Front end has recently quite obviously been parked a bit too suddenly and solidly against something. Can't remember the name of the village for some reason but it's between Nantwich and Tarporley. Looks terminal sadly.
HB, no, I'll keep my eyes peeled. I think that's good reason to take it off the owner and give it to someone more appreciative. Me, for instance! :-)
JH
An ' arrow ' series Singer Vogue, looked like a daily used car, in Shap on Friday.
Passed by an open Bentley 3 litre, driver in flat cap, southbound on the M6 near Burton in Kendal yesterday. Trotting along about 70. Later on, near Blackpool turn, something Japenese, low, sporty and old with a spoiler the size and height of a dining table on the boot......didn't look nice tho'....just tacky.

Ted
An ' arrow ' series Singer Vogue looked like a daily used car in Shap

>>.
>>>>>>>>>> was being driven to the dealer for the scrappage scheme probably :-(
Acouple of estate cars in the Kingston area
A Triumph Herald estate and a BMW M5 estate both appeared to be in daily use :-)

The first new shape Ford KA. It was reversed out of a parking spot by a lady of a certain vintage with a gently 4K rpm. It then went on is way sporting a nice scrape on its flanks ( previously obtained). I had been parked along side it and was concerned for my old Mondeos health :-((
a three-wheeled LSD in huddersield
Driving guests around lower Limousin on Sunday:
Very smart 1970s Oldsmobile Cutlass coupe - and I thought I owned the biggest car engine in the area...
Smart and noisy Triumph TR3 in Limoges - a proper TR3 with the little cheesegrater grille, not a 3A, so must be pretty rare.
A pretty Porsche 911 cabriolet, on UK plates, which led to a chat with the owners when we stopped for a coffee.
A Ford Capri Mk II - the mid-80s hatchback one - parked beside a country garage and looking rescuable.
It's nice to catch up a bit.
At the Hollowell Steam Rally - FIVE Renault 16's - cant recall the last time I saw just one on the road. They had a lovely selection of steam powered stuff along loads of old commercials and classic cars, a real feast.
any photos stu?
best renault car ever made the 16
Sorry, my bad. Didnt think to this year but will do next year, it seems to get bigger each year.
no worries :-)
This morning, being trailered near Limoges, a 1950s Porsche 550A lightweight racer, the sort that did for James Dean.
Ten to one it was a modern fake but it looked very pretty.
It was being trailered by something on French plates, it had racing numbers and was LHD (maybe they all were?) and painted on the tail was the name 'Little B*st*rd'.
I guess James Dean would agree.
Unusual Sightings - Volume 23 - daveyjp
A Bugatti 4 door saloon - a quick Google reveals it may have been a type 49. No idea how much this is worth as websites all state POA which suggests if you have to ask you can't afford it!