Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - Alanovich
Saw another similar vintage VW the other day, an R-prefix Polo, original 3-door version. Bright yellow and heading onto the M4 at J11.

Which made me think. Am I imagining it or was this the first car badged both as VW (Polo) and Audi (Audi 50)? Was the Audi 50 sold in the UK or have I just seen them on the continent? Was there a shared VW/Audi platform before this?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2009 at 19:23

Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - bristol01
I have seen a couple of Audi 50s here in RHD. My parents used to have a mk1 Polo - in very lurid yellow with brown cloth seats and a bit of wood effect plastic trim on the dashboard, and the Wolfsburg emblem on the steering wheel. Pretty tiny for a family of four, and I dread to think how it would fare in an NCAP test!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2009 at 19:23

Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - daveyjp
Audi 50s were only sold as LHD - they were built at the VW factory and eventually the Polo took over.

Info gleaned from various websites including Audi's own.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2009 at 19:22

Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - commerdriver
Pretty tiny for a family of four and I dread to think how
it would fare in an NCAP test!

My wife had an S reg Polo as her first car when we married in 1981, she used to car share with a colleague who lived nearby in Newcastle and picked up 3 other teachers along the 30 mile journey to school. They used to arrive in Haydon Bridge (for those who know the area) with 5 adults in the car, cosy to say the least.
As an alternative every other week when it was her colleague's turn to drive the transport was a Fiat 127 if I remember rightly.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2009 at 19:22

Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - Avant
"an R-prefix Polo"....

If that's a late 70s Polo rather than late 90s, that's an R-suffix (sorry to be pedantic!).
Unusual Sightings - Volume 21 - Alanovich
"an R-prefix Polo"....
If that's a late 70s Polo rather than late 90s that's an R-suffix (sorry to
be pedantic!).

Yes, of course Avant. Senior moment.