Do I have a leg to stand on? - Miller
I bought my new car back in September, did the usual bodywork inspection when picking it up from the dealer and could not find any problems. Fast forward a few washes to now, and its obvious that one of the wings had been badly scratched and repaired using a machine polisher.....not noticable back then but it is now. Really I think the wing should have been resprayed....

I know it is a long shot but before I contact the dealer do you think there is any chance of them doing a proper repair foc.....or will they do the "It must have been done after you drove the car away" line.

I bought it on HP.....perhaps I should go through the finance company?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do I have a leg to stand on? - spikeyhead {p}
You've got two hopes, and one of them's Bob.

Not a chance of getting any redress for a paintwork issue that has taken you seven, yes seven months to notice.
Do I have a leg to stand on? - ifithelps
...not a chance...

Probably true, but still worth putting to them politely but firmly the wing was not right on delivery.

It might get you a discount on the paint job, use of a loan car, or some other small benefit.

If it was a new car and the damage was done and repaired before delivery to the dealer, they might be prepared to take it up with the manufacturer.

Do I have a leg to stand on? - Simon
So how is it suddenly obvious that at some point a scratch has been polished out? If a scratch was polished out then it shouldn't be able to reappear. I think that you will be very lucky to get any kind of comeback against the dealer. Maybe a picture would help us to understand the problem.
Do I have a leg to stand on? - ifithelps
..So how is it suddenly obvious that at some point a scratch has been polished out? If a scratch was polished out then it shouldn't be able to reappear...

I've done home repairs with a chipstick and coloured polish.

Looks great for a month or two, but the scratches tend to reappear.

Oxidised red paint is another one.

It can be polished to look perfect, but will inevitably go flat again - usually after the car has been driven away by the customer.
Do I have a leg to stand on? - L'escargot
Personally, I prefer to keep my car well away from bodyshops. You never know what the end result is going to be like. If it's purely cosmetic you might be better off trying to get a decent surface finish by using a high-tech polish. Someone knowledgeable about such products should be along shortly.
Do I have a leg to stand on? - Bill Payer
Personally I prefer to keep my car well away from bodyshops. You never know what
the end result is going to be like.

Many "brand-new" will have had paintwork done, possibly even in the factory. I read that for one make of imported cars, 90% needed paintwork at the import centre.

We had a new Peugeot that looked fine on delivery but I could tell the bonnet had been painted. Dealer promised it would be OK and it was for a few years then it suddenly seemed to fade. Dealer (where the car had serviced from new) didn't want to know.
Do I have a leg to stand on? - bell boy
n

o
Do I have a leg to stand on? - zookeeper
douglas bader springs to mind ( i wasnt influenced by the bank holiday) honest
Do I have a leg to stand on? - gordonbennet
Offtopic, but Zookeeper has that bump you had with the foreign truck been resolved yet?
Sorry mods only a quickie..;)
Do I have a leg to stand on? - zookeeper
thanks for asking GB , yes they made an offer to the write off value of the car ( £620) less the scrap value £100 swmbo reckons we should press for more but after 15 months of hassel i just want to take the money and run the motor into the ground, its a 1.4 deawoo , but its passed 2 MOTs since the scrape, can i point out to back roomers new and old ...dont scrimp on your insurance ...the only advise i had from my insurance was " go to citizens advise bureau", i had to go to the motor insurance bureau to get a result ...cheers zoo
Do I have a leg to stand on? - bell boy
you will never get me advising anyone to go to citizens advice
waste of air that lot
Do I have a leg to stand on? - gordonbennet
can i point out to back roomers new and old ...dont scrimp
on your insurance ...

Wise words there, they should be copied and pasted onto the top of the site for all.
When its all over will you post a new thread with the outcome, give a fair warning then to others about this ongoing problem, maybe even email HJ about it, he could then use the info in his work.

I'm pleased you finally had a result of a fashion.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/04/2009 at 18:45