Cleaning outside of windscreen without shrieks - bristol01
On an old car of mine no matter what I did the windscreen wipers used to make the most awful noise when it rained. Washing windscreen, using glass cleaner, replacing wiper blades, cleaning blades, whatever - still the same. Perhaps the springs on the wiper arms were wrongly set - who knows? Just curious really.

Edited by Webmaster on 08/04/2009 at 01:01

Cleaning outside of windscreen without shrieks - lucklesspedestrian
Likewise:

Our Primera has had the inevitable new wipers, tried vinegar and newspaper, umpteen glass cleaners and it still makes the most awful noise when it rains. I wondered about the springs too.
Cleaning outside of windscreen without shrieks - gordonbennet
Standing by for mickey take.....

its possible the blades were tending to lean in their parked direction, should someone who shall remain nameless see fit to 'park' them leaning the other way now and again, it does help to stop that problem, which is usually the blade skidding across the glass unable to flip over on its return sweep.

I have no idea who could be so finnicky as to park his blades so...;)
Cleaning outside of windscreen without shrieks - McP
Luckless Pedestrian,

If your Primera is between 97 and 02, it will most likely have worn wiper spindles.
It is a very common problem. The metal spindles run in plastic mounts that wear out.
Around £50 for a pair from Nissan.
Alternatively, the spindles from the pre 97 model (P10) fit and are all metal. £10 a pair from breakers.
It will fix the squeeking.
Cleaning outside of windscreen without shrieks - lucklesspedestrian
Yep, it's a 2000 P11-144...so that finally explains it, thanks (wonder if the OP's car was a Primera too?)

ps: GB, I remember that discussion fondly!

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 07/04/2009 at 23:39