02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - lilley
This is a diesel estate. Recently the rear wipers sweep when reverse gear is engaged even when the front wipers are switched off. What do I need to do please?
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - zookeeper
it sounds like a novel safety feature, are you sure its not supposed to do it...rtfm
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - topbloke
vauxalls and toyotas do this, as mentioned safety/helpfull mode
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - piggy
And Fiats.But the front wipers have to be on first!
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - Pugugly
The OP has made that clear and no car I've driven with the feature did it with the front wipers off.
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - bell boy
this must be an import as ive never seen rear wipers on a focus
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - Dynamic Dave
ive never seen rear wipers on a focus

BB, it's an estate Focus. The hatch also has one fitted.

Unless you mean in the sense of more than one?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/04/2009 at 01:29

02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - jc2
All Focus are import;made in Genk!
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - jc2
Sorry,Saarlouis.Mondeo come from Genk.
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - L'escargot
My 03/03 Focus hatchback does this (by design) when the front wipers are set to intermittent. It sounds like yours has an electrical fault.
Only one rear wiper. Of course it is imported but it was bought new from a Ford dealer in Cheltenham. From new the rear wiper swept when reverse was engaged and the front wipers were switched on. Recently it has started doing it when the front wipers are switched off. I imagine that it is an electrical fault but what please?
halilley
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - MikeTorque
The rear wiper should only operate when reverse if engaged and the front wiper switch is turned on or has just been used, even a flick wipe will trigger it. It could be a relay on the blink.
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - ifithelps
The section of wiring loom between the tailgate and bodywork is known to be a weak point on Focuses.

Well, I say 'weak point', it wears after a few years.

It can cause erratic behaviour in the rear wiper.
If the wiring is wearing would this not cause it to not work rather than work when not expectd or required?
halilley
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - SteVee
Do the front wipers park correctly ?
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - Cris_on_the_gas
Sound like this might be a sticky relay contact. Don't know much about Ford Focus but when the front wipers are on they probally operate a relay which works through a gearbox switch to operate when reverse gear selected. If the relay contact went short circuit then this would give the exact symptom you describe
02 1.8 Rear Wiper Mystery - Dynamic Dave
If the wiring is wearing would this not cause it to not work rather than work when not expectd or required?

It depends. If say it's an earth wire and the electical circuit can draw an earth from somewhere else then this can play havock with the electrics.