Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - batesy
I'd like to find out what other backroomers think of the 185/65 R15 Hankook tyres fitted as standard?? on the basic i30 Comfort?

I've only had my new i30 for a week but reckon they seem noisy. At first I thought it was suspension noise - but now I think its the tyres. Will they quieten down with some wear (only 250 miles to date)? Any body found the car runs any quieter with different tyres? Not that I'll be rushing to change them for a while....
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - doctorchris
I have found with other makes of car that the tyres become quieter as they wear, if it's any consolation to you.
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - batesy
I have found with other makes of car that the tyres become quieter as they
wear if it's any consolation to you.

It did occur to me. I think that now with almost 400 miles on the clock they might be quietening down a bit.
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - L'escargot
In this test (admittedly on a Passat) Hankook tyres tied for second place for quietness. On the other hand, they were second worst for rolling resistance. Overall, they were rated 14th out of 16.
www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/21...l

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/04/2009 at 16:47

Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - quizman
What I can't understand in the Autoexpress test is the Pirelli P7 tyres came last. I had a set on my Passat and liked them, I now have Conti Contact 2s which are just the same as the P7s, both are excellent.
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - Hamsafar
I too had a total of 6 Pirelli P7s about 3 years ago and rated them very highly too, and they also came first in some magazine (Autobild?) test around that time. I found them as good as Goodyear Eagle F1s in wet/dry but much better in snow and mud. The trouble is you can weight these tests to any result especially when there is very little difference between many of the tyres.
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - Happy Blue!
What is weird is that in the 1970s P7 tyres were for 190mph supercars and now they are all sorts of run of the mill stuff. Why?
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - Hamsafar
Eventually, they run out of Ps and have to reset the counter. My Dad had P7s on a new BMW 325i in 1987 and they were rubbish!
Noisy tyres on i30 1.4L Comfort? - t_c
I test drove an i30 1.4L Comfort on Khumo tyres and there was a lot of road noise. I tried another one and with Hankook tyres and it was no better, possibly worse.

It's a shame, but it's a nice car spoiled by road noise. Odd that none of the magazine reviews picked up on it.

I believe it was developed in Germany. Are the road surfaces over there quieter than ours?