2.0 HDI - MPG question - Chug, Rattle & Knock
I'm interested in what MPG other peoples PUG 307 HDI's are returning. I've got a 2.0 (90) SW and think I'm probably only averaging 45mpg in what I would consider to be quite fuel efficient driving and journeys. I was expecting 50mpg ! Is this normal?

Edited by Pugugly on 18/03/2009 at 15:11

MPG from 307 HDI's - Armitage Shanks {p}
That doesn't seem too marvellous! I have a 1.6 (110) and see about 58 mpg in the winter and 62 in the Summer, in Motorway use and sticking to the limit most of the time. Driving a 20 mile round trip on minor (B) roads I get 60 in the winter and 65 in the summer. The temperature seems to make a big diference, about 5 mpg better in the hot summer than in the recent wintery spell.
MPG from 307 HDI's - FP
The 1.6 HDi is surely going to give more mpg than the 2 litre HDi, which is an older design. My 306 2 litre HDi, I imagine, is nearer in terms of comparison to the OP's engine than AS's 1.6.

I get a pretty constant 53 - 57 mpg from mixed, fairly gentle driving. The 307 is a heavier car than the 306 and the engine is "burdened" by particulate filters etc., so I'd expect fewer mpg than I'm getting.

That said, 45 mpg seems a bit feeble.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 18/03/2009 at 14:38

2.0 HDI - MPG question - Andrew-T
Agree with other posters. My 306 HDi 2.0 got 57mpg over 6 years. First off try some diesel conditioner in the tank, and a new air filter - those shouldn't break the bank.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - Chug, Rattle & Knock
Thanks for your comments - seems like it should be much better. I'm taking the reading from the computer, so I should really do a manually calculated test between fill-ups to be sure, although I'd hope the computer isn't that far out. Will also invest in some injector cleaner and air filter, although that'd be quite an achievement to make up an extra 10 mpg !!
2.0 HDI - MPG question - Andrew-T
Chug - you don't say whether your exhaust is clean. If not, and it's still murky after the above treatment, the timing may be out.

And I would guess that your computer is likely to over-estimate MPG if anything. My 306 was too early to have one, so I did the calculations; but I do know that the odometer over-read by 1½% (distances too high).

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/03/2009 at 19:57

2.0 HDI - MPG question - drunknmunky
I've got a 2.0 110 Rapier and average roughly 44mpg on my normal 3 mile daily commute (roughly 1 mile of town and 2 miles of country roads).
Longer motorway runs (generally carrying more luggage) tend to give about 50mpg.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - Kiwi Gary
3 Summers ago, Pug 307 2l HDi SW, 7750 km ranging from French autoroutes to Scottish Highlands. Brand new vehicle with 24 delivery km on the clock, but pre-particulate filters. Not driven for economy but returned 56 mpg as measured by fueling stations, not trip computer.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - corblimeyguvnar
Have a 307 hdi 90, 2003.
Short journeys circa 40 mpg, longer runs at 60-70 mph maybe 50 mpg, lucky to get 55mpg if driven frugally. Push the motor and mpg will drop to 35-40 quite quickly.

Cheers
CBG
2.0 HDI - MPG question - Harbornite
Had a couple of 307 HDIs in the past.

One was the 135 bhp that returned 40-45 mpg.

Recent car was a 110 Hdi that was giving 48 - 55 mpg.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - Blue {P}
The first things to check on any diesel that isn't runnnig very well are the MAF sensor and the EGR valve. Many of the MGR owners have changed their MAF and found that the car is transformed, also, bypassing the EGR valve or at least cleaning it can have a good effect apparently.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - corblimeyguvnar
I had a 110 hp 206 SW, it did better on MPG than the 307 90hp even when driven hardish.
2.0 HDI - MPG question - L'escargot
These are the "official" figures, but they're only for the purpose of a theoretical comparison of different models of cars.

www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/usedcar/vehicleDe...1

What you get depends on your individual car, it's condition, your driving style, your journeys, the time of year, and last (but by no means least) your method of calculation.

If I haven't picked exactly the right variant of your car, it will be in that website somewhere.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/04/2009 at 08:40

2.0 HDI - MPG question - Westfielder
Y2000 2l HDI90

I get 42-45 in the winter, 52-55 in the summer with misxed driving cycle and frugal driving

Changed everything to try and improve the winter mileage except EGR and MAF

Should I fork out for these??

Nick
:-)