Au revoir Scenic! - DP
Sold to a lovely couple who have just left a cash deposit. A mixed bag of emotions, but on the whole, despite the clutch debacle, I will miss the car. Advertised at £4950 (top dollar) and settled on £4700 which I'm happy with considering the cambelt is due in 9000 miles.

Anyway, had a final drive in her today (before they came to look), taking her 320 miles to Telford and back, and the lovely, loping gait on the motorway, the supple, well damped ride, and that truly brilliant Renault dCi engine are going to be sorely missed. Smooth, quiet, refined, and despite press on driving, returned 46 mpg on the trip. Will also miss the toys and gadgets, the comfort, and the airy, light interior. Won't miss the rattles and squeaks, the cost of servicing and repair, and that slight, niggling doubt you always have after a car completely lets you down for the first time.

So, we're off looking for a Golf TDI for as close to 4 grand as we can find.

Cheers
DP
Au revoir Scenic! - Altea Ego
I still mourn the departure of the Laguna.
Au revoir Scenic! - bristol01
My first car was a Renault 19 TD - very comfortable and economical, though not the most refined of engines. I was sad to see it go, though a repair bill towards the end was horrific. I guess that the dCi is the same block, and probably a world away from the 19's. I shall be trading in my Polo soon, and shall miss it very much.

Good luck with the hunt for the Golf!
Au revoir Scenic! - DP
The engine is the thing I will remember most fondly. Everything from its effortless punch to its willingess to rev, the sighs and huffs of the wastegate on gearchanges, to its absolute refusal to vibrate, rumble or sound breathless even when red-lined. There are petrol engines that don't spin as sweetly and smoothly to their limiters as this. And 46 mpg in a 1500kg car with less than optimum aerodynamics. It was driven hard on a regular basis, given no particular consideration apart from oil changes at mid point between its stupid 18,000 mile service intervals, and seemed to just get better and gutsier with miles.

The car around it, although still lovely to drive, was by contrast starting to feel like it was falling to bits. Squeaks, buzzes, trim rattles, odd intermittent electrical gremlins which would cure themselves, a gearknob polished smooth at 64,000 miles - the usual suggestions of penny pinching really. It still rode beautifully, but was feeling decidely secondhand compared to the rather tight 30,000 miler we bought 2 years ago.

And the clutch failing suddenly and catastrophically at such low mileage was a major disappointment. At least the DMF survived!
Au revoir Scenic! - doctorchris
DP, my Fiat Panda Cross, with its 1.3 turbodiesel engine, makes all those lovely sounds when I drive it. They're probably more noticeable because the car is small and the engine is so near to you when driving. When I wax lyrical about the noises my passengers think I'm bonkers!
Au revoir Scenic! - Avant
Sounds as if you're selling it at just the right time, while you can still get a respectable price for it and before anything else wears out.

Out of interest I looked on Autotrader and for £4k you'll have to go for a Golf that's either older or has more miles than the Scenic - whether you choose a hatch or an estate (they did do Mark IV estates with the 130 bhp engine, it seems).

Is it worth thinking about an Octavia? - more room for the family and more car for your money.
Au revoir Scenic! - redviper
I was very sad to see my post facelift Mk1 Laguna go, it was such a brilliant car, smooth confortable spacy, and everything was just right in it - if it wasnt for the silly electrical problems i probs would still be driving to this day, and reluctantly i had to let it go.
Au revoir Scenic! - BobbyG
DP, I am currently on an extended test drive of the new Megane (thanks to David at Renault) and it really makes me hanker for my Scenic again.

I traded my Scenic in Summer 07 for the Altea. This Megane has the same keyless entry as my Scenic and I had forgotten how useful it was.

Interestingly when I had my Scenic, I had keyless entry and auto handbrake so when you pressed the STOP button, it killed the engine and put the handbrake on automatically.

The first 3 times I drove this Megane I forgot to put the handbrke on as it is a manual one! My Altea has a manual handbrake but somehow my mind seemed to think as there was keyless entry the handbrake would be as well!!
Au revoir Scenic! - Rattle
My friend who crashed her Clio nearly a month ago is having it repaired. Its almost ready now to be collected it. She rolled it over so she was very lucky its being repaired.

She is currently driving an 58 Micra and she hates it, she says the steering has no feel etc and it feels like you're driving on ice. She really really love her Clio and as I have said countless times on here if anybody bashes Renault make sure you have eithe lived with one or knows somebody who has firsts.

I know a lot more Renault fans than people that hate them.

Electrical niggles with her car - Passanger window is noisy and the electric mirrors don't work but the rest of the car is lovely. How many other cars give you full digital climate control as well as an electric sunroof!

That said I doubt I would ever buy a petrol Magane as the coils just seem to constantly go on them.
Au revoir Scenic! - the swiss tony
Ive been running a Renault for a while... never again!

its a petrol Megane, and it think the only thing that hasnt gone wrong IS the coils......
Cue call to AA later...............

I will say when it is running ok the ride and handling is very good, the downside is having to stop to pick up the latest thing thats fell off!

anyway... back to looking for Reggies replacement..............................................
Renault so nearly get it right, but as has been reported on this thread, electrical and niggly build quality problems seem to be its weak points. It's a pity, as I think its cars have got a lot going for them. A Scenic was on my long list of potential purchases...but I went for a Verso.
I agree, I Loved my renault Laguna, it was almost perfect it drove well, and it looked great - the only thing was silly things would go wrong with it,
sometimes Dangerous, at one point i would press the brake pedal, and brake fluid would come squirting out of the back brake drums

and for that reason it has really put me off buying another but of renault could prove that quality issues where a thing of past i would be buying another.
Au revoir Scenic! - legacylad
years ago my uncle had a Renault 20, and myself a R5 TS, shortly followed by a Gordini. We both loved the cars when they were going, and forgave them a lot. Sadly, too many quality issues put us off Renaults, but that was years ago, and doubtless things have improved. Nevertheless, i would never consider another...totally irrational I know.
Au revoir Scenic! - Rattle
Datsuns used to rot even quicker than Fords in the 70's yet it never put people off buying Nissans. So yes it is silly.
redviper - one evening I turned the ignition key in the 19 and all the dashboard lights came on intermittently. Then water started to spray out of the air vents. Could have been a blocked drainage hole. I waited five minutes, tried again, and all was well. From then on I was anticipating a cataclysmic failure. I sold it on before that happened...
Au revoir Scenic! - Snakey
I always get the feeling after owning my Megane that it could have been such a good car to own. Sort out the ropey build quality and give the Renault dealers a good kick up the back alley and I might have learned to like my Renault

Alas, I wouldn't buy another one based on my experiences so matter how glossy the adverts are.
Bristol01 - thats very odd, but I agree sometimes the electrics would fix them selves.

The heated in mirror on the passanger side stopped working, the one on the drivers side still worked i would not have minded if it was the other way round, but one day after 12 months or so of it been like that it fixed itself ????

Then when you selected sidelights on the stalk the car would just default to dipped anyway, selcting dipped worked as nomal - this again "repaired its self" after a period of weeks/months.

But then i constatly drove around thinking what else was going to go wrong until i had endless trouble with the ABS system, i gave the car up when I was told the whole system needed re-wiring.

Still dispite that they where excellent cars, light roomy entriors, armchairs for seats loads of room lovely soft supsension that smoothed out the roads!

To Renault: they would have been excellent cars, if you built them properly! -

Edited by redviper on 11/03/2009 at 15:07

Au revoir Scenic! - Phil F.
Hi,
I recently traded a mk1 Laguna in for a supposedly "bulletproof" Toyota Avensis.I do miss it,its like driving round in your settee!...very quiet,comfortable and went very well for an 1800.It did have quite a few mechanical repairs whilst I had it including a gearbox repair which wasn,t completely succesfull.
As for the Avensis,uuuum,not impressed so far!
Its currently back at the supplying garage having a serious fault fixed despite having only done 14,000mls.
Cheers,Phil.
Au revoir Scenic! - The Melting Snowman
Our Renault was an excellent car in many ways (diesel engine performance, economy and refinement, good gearbox, brakes, seats, safety, practicality) but ruined by poor build quality (poor panel alignment, rattles, creaks, squeaks, buzzes) and problematic electrics. At three years old it was really feeling second-hand. A Volvo we had with about five times the mileage felt like new in comparison.

We are looking at the New Megane at the moment for the missus so it will be interesting to see whether things have improved. The initial build quality is light years ahead but as for reliability we shall have to see...
Au revoir Scenic! - DP
Thanks all. If Renault designed a car, let BMW do the component supplier quality control, and shipped the bits off to the Japanese for assembly, it would be a world beater.

Going to look at a Golf on Saturday morning - a mint looking (from the pics) 52 plate GT TDI PD 130 5dr in Reflex Silver, 85k, FSH, Climatronic and electric sunroof, up for £4200 ono. Parkers suggests 'retail good' is £4150 at 70,000 miles, so it should be an easy haggle to get it for a fair price if it's any good. I know it's older than the Scenic, but I bet it feels tighter, based on the 130k example we're using now.

Seller seems genuine enough and the history sounds good, so we'll go take a look. Good thing is, I've driven enough of these now to know what they should go and feel like.

As a tongue-in-cheek point, don't new Golf buyers have any imagination re colour? 90% of them are in blinking silver! Nothing wrong with silver of course, but it's a bit samey. Found a couple of black ones, the odd blue one, a very cheap looking one (53 plate. 55k @ £3900) which turned out to be a hideous metallic beige colour (think metal flake embedded in hearing aid plastic!) ;-)

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 12/03/2009 at 12:57

Au revoir Scenic! - DP
New owners picked up the Scenic this afternoon. She's gone for good.

I know we did the right thing, but I feel kind of sad. I can already see the rose tints creeping in, where I'll forget the problems or play them down. Whatever, putting build quality and reliability to one side, it was a lovely car in pretty much every other respect.

But of course in the real world, repair expenses and faults can't be put to one side.

Going to see the Golf at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

Edited by DP on 14/03/2009 at 00:17

Au revoir Scenic! - ifithelps
You had some bad luck with the vandal damage and breakdown, but have done well to move the Scenic on.

It looked like a good, honest car which the buyers maybe picked up on.

Not sure about buying an older Golf with more miles.

So if I may exercise my backroom licence to interfere, how about a Kia Ceed?

More room - I think - and 2008 petrols from a Kia dealer are under £7k and would still have nearly six years warranty.
Au revoir Scenic! - gordonbennet
I'll second IIH here, if i bought normal cars the Ceed would be on my driveway now.

I go to many PDI/refurb centres and in conversations with chaps doing the biz as against selling, Korean cars are spoken about in admiring terms re quality and reliability, similar to how Japanese cars/bikes were when they wiped the floor with nearly everything else years ago.
Au revoir Scenic! - DP
Hi all,

Sorry, I was out the door at 8:30 this morning and the upshot is we bought the Golf. Nice, straight, genuine car from a nice, straight, genuine seller. Some marks and minor scratches, but generally in lovely condition. Drives nicely too, plus its had its cambelt, plus a recent alternator pulley and front discs and pads. Doesn't need anything doing to it, and not found anything else prodding and poking (and driving) this afternoon.

It's a 2003 model year, so comes with the Climatronic, ESP and the more heavily bolstered seats which are supremely comfy. After the Renault, the ride is rubbish, and the engine gruff, but the performance and grunt from little more than tickover is absolutely spectacular. It also feels very taut and squeak free.

I'm giving it a proper shakedown tomorrow taking it up to the folks in Oxford, but first impressions are very positive. Will post a proper review when we've put some miles on it. I'm also keen for our friendly VW tech to get it up on the ramps and pull it to bits in his own inimitable way.

Thanks all!

DP