99 1.4 Water is pouring from my exhaust - mr d1ngle
Hi all,

A few weeks ago my water pump went after a very icy night *cough water was blue but not enough anti freeze i guess* & was ok if i kept topping it up as only was leaking. Then after a short trip out a week later it gave up and totaly died the temp needle did not reach the red.
I just got my car back with a new cam belt & water pump, but when i start the car up he sounds like a tank & water drips out from a hole in the back pipe & sprays out when reved, this does not go away i have done 30 miles and water is still flooding out when i pull over & check.
The car also seems to not tick over right and feels jurky,but drives fine so long as i have my foot on the gas.
I took it back to the garage and was told it just needs a service? it was fine before it went in?
I have checked for blown gasket, No water is being used and there is no water in the oil,creamy gunk ect.
Im very stumped any idea's so i can take it back to the garage and say hey look!!

Thank you..

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/03/2009 at 10:06

99 14 Water is pouring out of my exhust,just had n - Lygonos
When you say no water is being used are you checking the radiator itself, or the header tank?

If you look in the radiator and find the level low then I would presume HGF.

Maybe the cambelt is a notch out, hence the lumpy running ?

If no coolant has been lost, but there is steam/water aplenty coming out the back it must be combustion-related water vapour I imagine.

Edited by Lygonos on 04/03/2009 at 01:42

99 14 Water is pouring out of my exhust,just had n - 1964johnr

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar problem a few years ago with water pouring out of the exhaust. Eventually I couldn't start the car. It was turning over and spluttering but that was about it. Called the A.A. Even he was confused, until he suggested that he make a small hole in the back box of the exhaust. This he did, and water poured out. The water had been accumulating over a period of time due to combustion. ( Lots of short journeys) It had reached the point where it was preventing any output from the engine through the exhaust system. Car was fine after that, except for the small hole in the back box.
99 14 Water is pouring out of my exhust,just had n - mr d1ngle
Thanks for the replys,

No coolant is being lost, did not know the cam could get a notch out as garage said that you cant alter a rovers timeing??
Lol john, funny you should say this about a small hole, there so happens to be a tiny one in mine i was ready to patch it up, guess i shall leave it now.
99 14 Water is pouring out of my exhust,just had n - bbroomlea{P}
The K series does produce a lot of 'steam', especially in cold and damp weather. I wouldnt worry too much if you are not loosing coolant - the exhaust can hold a lot of moisture! If you do loose water, I would look at the inlet manifold gasket before the headgasket aswell. The IMG is considerably cheaper to replace :-)

Not sure on the lumpy running but I suspect a bad job has been done - the timing is automatic however it cannot adjust an incorrectly fitted belt. I would take it back or get another opinion before any damage is done!!