Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - crosscharlie
One of my tyres has been damaged irrepairably in the centre of the tread. Thought to be due to speed humps in a local road. Can I claim off the local authority and how do I go about it.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Peter D
Does your damage not imply you are hitting the speed bump at a too higher speed. Unless the bump is defective or non complaint your claim does not stand a chance. Regards Peter
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - ForumNeedsModerating
First question you'll be asked or point you'll have to prove in any putative action : how did the speed bump/cushion manage to damage the centre of the tyre tread?

I must say, I can't see an immediate connection & you yourself merely state"..thought to be due to speed humps..".

Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Lud
Quite woodbines. If the OP was complaining about excessive wear on the inner sides of the front tyres caused by speed cushions he might have a case, although it wouldn't get him anywhere. But how can any speed bump damage the middle of the tread? Sounds like cobblers.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Old Navy
>>But how can any speed bump damage the middle of the tread?
Sounds like cobblers.

Or over inflation, a claim will give the council staff a laugh.

Edited by Old Navy on 03/03/2009 at 16:05

Do you mean damage to the middle of the tread, HJ? How does it happen?
How does it happen?

As we've commented Lud - it probably can't - at least not in the normal everyday run of things. In fact, the centre tread area must be the least likely to be damaged & most protected from every imaginable cause - except a big nail of course! Perhaps HJ was conflating this with tyre inner-edge wear (which I also think is overstated somewhat) and/or cracked alloys for those with fashion-victim tastes for low profile tyres & desire for 'manly' rims.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - slowdown avenue
just recently replaced to tyres firestones because of wheel wobble, both tyres had gone out of shape down the centres ,. never seen that before.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - L'escargot
just recently replaced to tyres firestones ......

We'd need more information ~ tyre model, size, age, mileage etc ~ and a better description of the deformity before we could comment.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - turbo11
My sister used to live in an area that had many "square" type speed humps. Due to parked carsand traffic, you often had no option than to straddle them. Her car failed its MOT due to tyre wear. The tester showed her the tyres while it was up on the ramp. The Dunlop tyres had only done 5000 miles had 6mm of tread, but were through to the canvas on the inner edges of both front tyres. Potentially lethal, especially as unless you were quite "hands on" with car maintenance you wouldn't even notice the wear. Unlike myself and other BR's, I suspect the majority of drivers never even glance at their tyres. I see plenty of people driving around on massively under inflated tyres all the time.
.. The Dunlop tyres had only done 5000 miles had 6mm of tread, but were through to the canvas on the inner edges of both front tyres...

So rear tyres ok then? Doesn't this indicate more of an alignment/other problem - rather than a speed bump induced one? You'd expect similar on the rear tyres if that were so - same trajectory across the bumps etc.

Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - turbo11
There was some wear on the rear ,but no where near as bad as the front. The alignment was perfect. Car was 3 series on 225/50's.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Hamsafar
I work on a long main road which has 26 sets of 3 'cushions' and almost everyone at work who doesn't have a large off-road vehicle suffers from chamfered tyre wear and clonking knocking suspension. What's worse is that the tarmac around the humps is damaged by buses and lorries crashing up and down so you drop off the humps into potholes and the useless left-wing council are very slow to repair these and very selective about which ones they repair.

Edited by Hamsafar on 04/03/2009 at 10:41

>> I see plenty of people driving around on massively under inflated tyres all the time.

So do I. I used to try to tell drivers about it, but they usually looked so blank that I have given up.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Andrew-T
I suspect the majority of drivers never even glance at their tyres.

But even if you are in the habit of checking them once a week, if you pick up a screw in the tread the pressure could easily be 10psi down before your next check. Happened to me twice within a month of changing the car - luckily I noticed both times.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - stunorthants26
My mums Hyundai Coupe has big wide tyres and yet in 40k, she has never once had any tyre issues despite negociating a mile stretch of speed humps on her way to work every day. Pressures are checked monthly though. Her tyres are 215/45/R17.
Me thinks somebody has been going too fast over the speedbumps and wants to get a free set of tyres.
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - Sofa Spud
On inspection I noticed that some of my tyres are quite worn - not illegal, mind, but soon due for replacement. It appears that they have been worn down by driving on tarmac roads. Can I claim against the highway authority?
Damage to tyre due to 'speed' bumps/cushions - slowdown avenue
165 70 13 possibly 5 years old they had been on the rear then moved to the front, you could see the tread was out of line over a patch of 7 inches down the centre. i regularly check pressures, but cant speak for previous owner