01 1.9 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes ? - mart123
Hi everyone please can anyone help me with this? intercooler pipes have just started to blow off when the first one blew off a fitter in a local garage put wire ties around pipes to hold together untill i could get a new one but since then it has started ti bo=low them off beside the intercooler itself mostly the bottom one. can anyone help me solve this and tell me the cause of it, or is it one of those things?

Edited by Pugugly on 07/03/2009 at 22:14

01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - Simon
Could it be over-boosting?
01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - mart123
thank for your reply. i think i will get it booked in a local garage with a VAG tool and see what they say it might not be the cheapest way but it might be the quickest way
01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - Richardbarton
Could it be over-boosting?

01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - Richardbarton

My 04 Passat 1.9 TDi is smoking badly when cruising under light load. Foot down or foot off and it stops blowing black smoke. I took it for a diagnostic test but was told that an inter-cooler pipe was split , and that the turbo was slightly noisy and that there was possible over-boosting. Until the split pipe is replaced, they cannot run diagnostic tests.

HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE ! I'm an old school mechanic turbos are new to me.

How many inter-cooler pipes are there and how easy is it to obtain and change them ?

Desperate for advice.

Richardbarton

01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - craig-pd130

The pipe that usually starts leaking / splitting first is the one from the intercooler up to the inlet, which is easy to get at and change. It's easy to see and should be easy to obtain from the parts shop.

The other hose is the one from the turbo outlet INTO the intercooler. That's down behind the bumper. Have a look and see what you can find.

Do replace the clips and sealing O-rings at the same time as the pipe.

01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - craig-pd130
The I/C hose clips and fittings on the Passat are designed for easy assembly on the production line rather than a secure, long-lasting fit.

Go to your VAG dealer and order some new "horseshoe" clips and see if that fixes it, the clips lose their spring over time. They're about 50p each if I remember right. Best to take the old clip with you as they come in a range of sizes.

If that doesn't fix it then you'll need a new IC pipe, as the little tangs that should stay behind the clip are getting worn.

Edited to add that the engine would most likely go into limp-home mode if overboosting, rather than blowing the hose off. The PD motors do run at high boost pressures anyway.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 01/03/2009 at 16:27

thank you for your reply. it runs well when pipes are on i no one pipe needs to be replaced so i will order one in the morning and get extra clips it worth a shot. i will let you no if this works thank you
01 19 tdi blowing off intercooler pipes? - 659FBE
I would fully agree with Craig's suggestions. Renew the "O" rings fitted to these joints at the same time and remember that some oil leakage from the lower intercooler joint is "normal" for this PD installation.

If the clips are not weak, the usual cause of pipes popping off is wear or damage to the "ears" which engage the clips. These are small and soft and will not tolerate heavy handed treatment.

hi i would like to thank you all for your advice,i have now replaced the two pipes / seals and clips on the in and out let on the intercooler and it has sorted it now thanks again.