1999 1.6 Big Boil up Now cant get it to run - Nicknack561
I have an A3 Code AVU and the water pump failed causing a boil up ...replaced pump and head gasket also fitted new rings and glaze busted the bores had head skimmed and pressure tested re ground the valves and the compression is still not as good as id like (around 110) the car will run with a tow but cuts instantly when allowed to drop below about 1200 revs like ive turned off the ignition no missfire just a staight stop. ive tested the spark and fuel at cranking and both are fine and ideas id be really grateful
Thanks
1999 1.6 Big Boil up Now cant get it to run - mfarrow
timing?
1999 1.6 Big Boil up Now cant get it to run - Nicknack561
Yea thats fine ...its been checked and double checked but someone did suggest maybe cam or crank position sensors what do you think??

Edited by Nicknack561 on 04/03/2009 at 15:34

1999 1.6 Big Boil up Now cant get it to run - Peter D
Whilst a crank sensor may be the problem, cranking would not spin it fast enough to exceed 1200 rpm, by a long way, so if the sensor was low output it would not have a spart on cranking. Vag-com and error code time. Clear them all then bump start it and connect vag com then let it stop, hopefully it may record an error code. Regards Peter
I can not fine a 1.6 AVU 1999 A3. Is it a typo. Regards Peter
I suggest you post this on www.vwaudiforum.co.uk as well. Regards Peter
On the other 1.6 A3 engines of that age there is a hall effect sensor G40 associated to the Cam sproket which must be centered on assembly and is in addition to the engine speed sensor. G28. Regards Peter