Idiot question - disposing of a car. - Granite
First, I'll apologise in advance. I'm pretty clueless with cars, so this question might be fairly obvious to the rest of you. I'm trying to improve my knowledge, so bear with me!

The question is this: my trusty R reg 1.4 Corsa Breeze has finally given up the ghost. While technically still servicable for a month or so, it's got a fuel leak, the brakes are wearing badly and the estimate is that it'll take at least £500 to get it through its next MOT, and other factors (rusting bodywork) will mean it almost certainly won't get through next years. As such, it's clearly not worth the repair bill, fond though I am of it (it was my first and only car two years ago given as a present from a good friend).

The question is: What do I do with it now? Does the thing have any kind of residual value now? The engine's perfectly sound, the exhaust was replaced last year. While it's technically road legal, I can't see anyone taking it as a trade in, but as I said, I'm an idiot about these things. I imagine it's really just a big rolling piece of scrap, but I'm not sure, so I thought I'd get some expert opinions.

Thanks for your time!
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - SpamCan61 {P}
eBay is probably the best bet ( money wise at least), if you can put up with the time and hassle involved.
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - oldnotbold
"While it's technically road legal" but you say it has fuel leak and brake issues ????
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - 1400ted
Any dealer should take it as a trade in if thats the road you want to go down. But you won't make any money out of it. It's just a 'paper' exercise. They will scrap it or
have someone that will give them £50 for it. It does get it off your hands though.
Failing that, look for a breaker in the local paper or yellow pages.
Ted
It definetely has the fuel leak, but it would take about two weeks for the tank to drain dry when parked. I've been told the brakes need replaced, but they are working at the moment and I haven't really noticed any change. Again, I point to my admission of idiocy. I honestly don't know when a car stops being road legal.

Cheers Ted, that's pretty much what I thought, but it's nice to have confirmation.
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - rtj70
And you're driving it with a fuel leak!

I once spotted a car parked up near Haworth (W Yorks) and saw petrol pouring out under it. Told the driver who was sat in it.... he just drove off leaving a trail of petrol!
I've driven it to the garage to have it confirmed it was a fuel leak, and back as it wasn't worth fixing it. Other than that, it hasn't moved and probably won't until it has final resting place. Exactly what else could I do with it? Pay £500 for repairs I don't want, or abandon it at the garage? While I know it's not what you want to be doing, I really didn't see any other option.

Edited by Granite on 12/02/2009 at 16:53

Idiot question - disposing of a car. - Alanovich
If it's parked on a public road and leaking fuel you HAVE to move it. NOW. Imagine someone flicks a lit fag butt at it whilst walking past, you could be in a load of bother. Or if someone reports it, you'll have the fire brigade knocking on your door I would think. And you many end up paying a hefty fine.

Look in your local newspaper for a scrapyard who collect, plenty advertise in the small ads. They might even give you 25/50 quid for it. But get them to come quickly.
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - oldnotbold
Ten good pictures, honest write-up, and put it on Ebay as spares/repairs. Probably make £200 since it's got an MoT.
Idiot question - disposing of a car. - Mapmaker
Stick it on eBay, and I reckon onb is about right with his valuation. Somebody will pay you good money for it at the moment. Ironically, whilst scrap prices have dropped through the floor (your local council will take it away for free... I don't know, but I had heard that scrap prices were now near to £0 as we return towards having to pay to scrap a car), people are desperate for really cheap cars and so are happy to pay what looks like silly money for what a year ago would have been dismissed as rubbish.

Idiot question - disposing of a car. - Rattle
If it has a fuel leak it is not road legal.

Now an R reg Corsa, I have been to so many garages this week I have a good idea what the trade will ask for your car and its £1350 on a forcourt if you're car has less than 80k, 12 months MOT as in good condition.

Realisticaly its only worth £700-£800 in a premium market where small rubbish is fetching silly amounts.

I once helped a freind sell a completly rotten Ka, it was so bad it needed extension welding, it was also accident damaged sold it for £650 without an MOT needin a new wing, wishbone, shock, slam panel and general cosmetic work.

I reckon if I could get £250 easily for my rotten Fiesta then you will easily get £400 for your Corsa, a trader could probably get it through an MOT for less than £100, so they spend £500 on the car, stick on their forcourt for £1100 and hope to get £900 for it.

This is in Manchester btw, smaller cars may not be as popular in other parts of the country I don't know.