Servicing BMW 318i - Pat L
I'm hopefully picking up a replacement car for my wife's aging Merc next week, and would very much appreciate advice re immediate servicing needs.

Car: BMW 318i SE Touring, August 1998 S reg, 134,000 miles. 1 owner, full BMWSH. Last service at 122,000 miles.

1. Does anyone know what model this is - hard to to tell shape on the Touring? Is it based on the E36 or E46? Need to know for ordering parts. (1998 was the changeoveer year)
2. It obviously needs at least an oil service, and I intend to do this myself. I've always used Castrol Magnatec on the old Merc, will this be ok or should I go for fully synthetic?
3. I also intend to change plugs and air filter, but should I also replace HT leads/dist cap/rotor arm as preventative maintenance?
4. I have phoned the BMW dealership which has serviced it during the last 2 years and they very helpfully went through their computer records. Coolant has been changed in the last 12 months, but no mention of brake fluid. Should this be changed as a precaution?
5. Does this engine have a cam chain?
6. Anything else I ought to consider doing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pat
Servicing BMW 318i - John S
Pat

1 I think it will be an E36 - the books list '98 as the changeover year, but that's just saloons. Touring and Coupe changed after the saloon. I've got an E36 Coupe built Dec 98, registered jan 99. The Coupes changed late '99.

2 Magnatec meets BMW specs, so is fine, but BMW tend to use fully synth these days.

3 I'd check and clean them before considering a change.

4 Coolant should be changed every two years, and a precautionary change is worth doing

5 Yes

6 Gearbox and rear axle oils?

Regards

John S
Servicing BMW 318i - John S
Pat

Sorry, should have said

4 Both brake fliud and coolant should be changed every two years....
Regards

John S
Servicing BMW 318i - Pat L
John

Many thanks for the reply. I'll get the village garage to do the brake fluid and check/change the gearbox and diff oils. I will then begin a 6,000 mile engine oil change cycle.

I would normally have an AA inspection but I don't feel disposed to part with cash this time - the car just looks and feels right. I'm hoping to contact the previous owner today to check for accident damage etc.

Pat