99 1.7 cost to change the ERG valve ? - Jammer
Hi, a month or so ago I had an mot and it failed due to emissions. They ended up saying that they had to bypass the ERG Valve to put it through the mot.

They said that I really need to have a new ERG Valve and since then I have noticed that the engine management light comes on on the dashboard at different times.

It also seems as if I am using more diesel than before and also there is a lot of smoke on ocassions from the exhast.

I have seen that you can buy an ERG Value on the internet for around £80 but was wondering if it is a job that you can do yourself or if I take it to the garage to have them do the job how much do you think they would charge? Would it be more than say £150?

Thanks, hope someone with mechanical/garage knowledge might be able to help, its a 1999 vauxhall astra 1.7 diesel

Edited by Pugugly on 24/01/2009 at 20:13

99 1.7 cost to change the ERG valve ? - topbloke
engine code would help then i can advise labour time and difficulty
What do you mean by engine codes mate?

All that I know is that there is a light that I think is called the engine management light that comes on on the dashboard....

...and that the people down the garage told me that I need to have a new ERG Valve as they bypassed it when they did the MOT.

sorry to sound such a newbie!
99 1.7 cost to change the ERG valve ? - topbloke
the engine code tells me exactly which engine we are talking about, the code would be on the engine if you could actually find it but it should be in the service book or on the car/security pass, but if they managed to bypass it to *get it through the mot* then it cant be that difficult to change
according to the manual its the 8 valve model and not the 16 if thats any good?