99 1.8 Temperature gauge faulty - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Hi. I have a 1999 1.8 Vectra.

The latest problem is the temperature guage has stopped working. Maybe 1 out of 5 times when I use the car it might read a little (wont go any higher than the blue on the gauge).
This seemed to have started a few weeks ago when we had that really cold spell. Dont know if it was that or just a coincidence.
The car is running normal. I've not long came back from a 150 mile round trip with no problems.
This is just one of those things thats annoying and would like to fix if its easy enough.

Anyone got any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2009 at 12:54

99 1.8 Temperature guage faulty - Dynamic Dave
Maybe 1 out of 5 times when I use the car it might read a little (wont go any higher
than the blue on the gauge).

Does it increase at all when the car is stationary?

Initial thoughts are a faulty thermostat.
99 1.8 Temperature guage faulty - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Thanks for replying Dave.

It doesnt increase when stationary. On the odd time it does move it will move 2-3 notches up the blue bar and stay there.

If it is a faulty thermostat what sort of price would I be looking at?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2009 at 13:14

99 1.8 Temperature guage faulty - Dynamic Dave
Does the top hose (the one returning to the radiator from the engine) get hot, or only tepid?

The thermostat is relatively cheap, approx £20 from somewhere like autovaux.

I can't remember if its behind the cambelt on the 1.8 engine. I *think* you're lucky that it isn't, BUT if it is, then that's a further expense to change it as the belt has to come off.

99 1.8 Temperature guage faulty - SpamCan61 {P}
I too think the thermostat sticking open would be my first port of call, if not that then maybe corrosion on / faulty the temperature sensor. Is this the X18 or Z18 engine? my only experience is with the latter, in SWMBO's Zafira, where the temperature sensor is conveniently located for checking at the front L/H corner at the top of the engine. Not sure about location on the X18.
Is this the X18
or Z18 engine?

I dont know lol
Is this the X18
>> or Z18 engine?
I dont know lol

If it's got a throttle cable it's an X18, if it's drive by wire it's a Z18.
Does the top hose (the one returning to the radiator from the engine) get hot
or only tepid?

It gets hot.

Today the gauge went to half (where it normally goes) for about 10 mins, the went back down to zero. First time thats happend since the proplem started.
Actually this is pretty close to normal behaviour for SWMBO's 1.8 Zafira at this time of year, unless it's standing in traffic for 10 mins. the gauge barely makes it into the blue. I assume your car has just started doing this though i.e. it has behaved differently during previous cold spells?
I bought the car at the end of febuary alst year and there was no problems then.

I remember a Astra I had about 5 years ago had lots of little problems like this..... Guess you could say that about most cars though that are 10 years old.
Reading through this old thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56099

I suspect that you have a 'feature' not a 'problem'. I drove SWMBO's Zafira on Saturday, external temperature about 3C, the only time the gauge made it above the blue was sitting in traffic for about 5 minutes, and I'm 100% sure the thermostat is OK on that.
Thanks for that SpamCan61.

In the summer the gauge went to half way, during winter it hardly moves. Looks like feature like you said. I'll find out when the weather warms up.
The cars still running fine, just one of those annoying things.
99 1.8 Temperature guage faulty - madmarc
Hi guys I know this is an old thread but its a common problem. On these engines the temp sender earths thru the thermostat housing and causes dissimilar metal corrosion.Find temp sensor(brass 30mm long bolt in thing with single wire connected to it, top left of block as you face engine) remove wire by pulling on spade connector NOT wire, then undo sensor 1/4 turn then retighten. repeat 3-4 times then nip up tight (not too tight its an ally housing) now reattach spade connector. start engine and allow to idle for 5 mins, check temp gauge, all should now be well. If no change repeat above to clear corrosion. hope this helps