02 2.0 petrol filler flap release problem - mazda60
Hi,
My daughter is today having trouble with a stuck filler flap and is opening it manually via the boot (a real pain !). The switch on the drivers door appears to operate (noise is heard) but fails to release the flap. With the flap open and operating the drivers door switch the plunger does not seem to retract which I think it should.
Has anyone had a similar problem or can anyone offer any help /suggestions for a cure ?.
Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/01/2009 at 20:37

02 2.0 Petrol Filler Flap Release Problem - Dave_TD
What noise is heard from the switch in the door? A click of the microswitch making contact, or the "thunk" of the solenoid which should be retracting the plunger?

Not sure if this is fused on its own circuit on the Beetle, have any other items stopped working?
opening it manually via the boot (a real pain !)

I remember my parents' Ford Zephyr 4 fuel filler flap - it was in the middle of the back end with the number plated fitted to it and hinged downwards - my dad added the security measure of a 2" long 8mm bolt through one of the numberplate mountings, a corresponding slot in the car's bodywork, and a nut which had to be screwed off and on the bolt by hand from inside the boot!!
02 2.0 Petrol Filler Flap Release Problem - mazda60
Hi Dave,
Think she said that microswitch clicks and you can hear a clunk under filler flap aswell. I will ask her to check this and also the fuse issue.
Thanks .
Mazda60.
02 2.0 Petrol Filler Flap Release Problem - Dave_TD
If you can hear the solenoid make a clunk from under the filler flap then the fuse will be OK - it will be something physically out of alignment or broken with the plunger or solenoid itself.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how to remove these for checking ? Boot or fuel filler neck seem only options.
Regards
Mazda60
02 2.0 Petrol Filler Flap Release Problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The cable between the solenoid and latch has snapped. Remove the interior trim panel from the offside rear to access. Mind your fingers, lots of sharp edges and youll find it easier if you remove the OS rear light. Lube the latch well.
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your reply. I visited my local VW agent today to seek some help but all for nothing.Was just told " book the car in and we will have a look at the fault "
No thanks .I will have a look myself this weekend and see what I can find.
Regards
Mazda60.