Stiff steering - epgs1
Hi - I have just taken delivery of a new base model Jazz (01 -08 model) and am very surprised how stiff and heavy the steering feels. The stiffness is most noticable at normal driving speeds - the steering will not self centre after turning and requires quite firm correction. I have read that the steering is normaly considered to be light.

I took a test drive in a same spec vehicle yesterday and found it to be the same! Either both cars have the same fault or JAzz 1.2's have very stiff and heavy steering.

I have googled this issue and only found a few references and can't find any references here.

Could someone comment about how light/stiff their steering is?

Thanks Graham
Stiff steering - doctorchris
I can only say that we have an '03 1.4 Jazz on which the steering is indeed quite light and certainly self-centres OK.
My only suggestion is to check the tyre pressures with an accurate gauge, since my experience is that car dealers are very bad at getting tyre pressures correct.
On our model the pressures are 32psi front and 30psi rear but look in the hand book as they may be different on yours.
Other than that I would return the car to the dealer to have the steering investigated.
Stiff steering - ukjazz
The Jazz is both light & responsive to drive, we have had 3 vehicles going back to the launch in 2002 all have had good steering - so take the car back to the dealer and get them to check & rectify.
The one possible area being these old models may have been in store for several months and may have tyre/wheel problems or the car has been mistreated in transit.
Eitherr way do not accept a Honda with a defect.
[ This model has been superceded with the Mk3 Jazz which has electrical powered steering so I hope you obtained a good discount]
Stiff steering - epgs1
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I have checked tire pressures and all seems to be well there. Maybe its a blown fuse or similar in the power steering...As its a new car I'll let the dealer find out. I'll be there on Monday.

I did get a good discount - Honda UK are/were doin a deal to get rid of stock - Under £8k and interest free credit.

Its a nice run around though - apart from the steering issue.

Cheers Graham
Stiff steering - the swiss tony
Could it be the fuse hasnt been put in on PDI?

thats where my money is - check the fuse box before taking it back - the dealer wouldnt admit to making a silly mistake like that!
Stiff steering - KB.
My 1.4 SE CVT auto is only a few weeks old and hasn't done many miles. It is true that I've thought that the steering is stiffer than my old Maestro and doesn't self centre as positively either. It's not as though it's packed up completely - it just needs more effort and more correction than I might have expected. Might drop it in to the dealer when passing next. If he says it's normal I would think I'll accept it as it's not so bad as to be a problem.
Stiff steering - nortones2
If its stiffer than a Maestro, something is awry! The Jazz of SWMBO has rather light, over-assisted steering for me - so its rather odd.
Stiff steering - epgs1
I have checked the fuse now - it appears OK.

Ifs difficult to test on the open road, but it looks like the steering wheel will remain without holding it at 45 degrees off straight while travelling at 30mph.

The only time I have ever experienced something like this is with my first car (30 years ago) when the steering box had seized!

Hopefully I'll find out more tomorrow.

Cheers Graham
Stiff steering - Pugugly
Back to the dealer I think and insist on getting it checked out.
Stiff steering - stunorthants26
Ive found many cars with elec PAS to have very little self-centring, esp the i10 that we test-drove - it was one of the reasons we didnt buy it in favour of the set-up in the Sirion.
My old Seicento was exactly the same and for a few weeks I found myself wandering quite alot and over-correcting rather too much.

If there isnt a fault, id try and get a different car if you cannot adapt. Some people cant, my misses being one.
Stiff steering - KB.
My Maestro has the luxury of PAS and is quite light. It's also got elec. windows and a sunroof!!!!.....however it also has the detatchable headlining which drapes around the heads of rear passengers if it's not retained by the add on accessory known as duct tape.
Stiff steering - L'escargot
This review mentions stiff steering. tinyurl.com/9edxme
Stiff steering - epgs1
I popped into Springfield Honda today and spoke to their aftersales manager Sean Coulson. He seems to be a competent chap and was quite honest about the issue. After driving my car he said this example was light compared to others and was well within the range of expectation for the Honda Jazz 1.2S. He suggested that they were happy to change the steering, but it would be doubtful that I would see any difference. Honda (aparently) have indicated the non-straighting of the steering wheel is normal behavior for this vehicle. He also mentioed that the 1.4model has the same rack, but that its steering self centres because it has larger wheels (quite believable).

So there you have it - if you don't like this bahaviour in the steering, don't buy a 1.2S!

Otherwise its a decent small car

Thanks for the comments folks!

Cheers
Graham
Stiff steering - doctorchris
Graham, I'm pleased that you received a sensible answer from an informed member of the dealer's staff.
I'm also glad that you did not have the steering changed. My experience is that this kind of work on the car does nothing to improve it and opens up a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong.
Finally, it's so good to see someone accept a situation like this without ranting and raving about suing, going to the small claims court, etc.
Like the Serenity Prayer says:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change........."

Chris

Edited by doctorchris on 13/01/2009 at 10:56

Stiff steering - Altea Ego
Hydraulic power steering at least has some consistency of behaviour and feel when you use it.

Electric power steering systrems seem to have minds of their own varying the way they feel and operate.
Stiff steering - Old Navy
AE - My power steering is a hydraulic system is driven by an electric motor which has three settings, light, medium, and heavy. The manufacturers marketing spin has fancy names for them which I cant be bothered to remember. It has yet to have a mind of its own other than the inevitable black box which runs it.
Old navy

My last three VWs have had a mind of their own.. Try running one through from lock to lock at various parking speeds to feel the effect.

My last three VWs have had a mind of their own..

My last VW related car had steam steering.
U159?

That was a diesel, with hydraulic steering!
Its was a hybrid, diesel electric.
Yes a semi submersable, just like todays hybrid semi cars.
Stiff steering - Bill Payer
We have a Sept 53 1.4SE Jazz on 14" steel wheels. I drive the car several times per week and I've really never noticed this effect.

Yesterday I paid attention to it and it does exactly as you said - it will hold perhaps a 45 degree turn of the wheel. I did notice that it self-centres quite well after making sharp turns - ie pulling out of side roads from rest.

I can honestly say that in 5+ years I've never noticed this before and can only assume that's down to different driving technigues.

I drove daughter's Mitsubishi Colt this morning and I noticed that with her car, it will hold the twist to the left but if turned right it will bring itself back to straight. Her car does drift slightly left anyway. This leads to me think that the issue could probably be corrected by changes in wheel alignment angles, but it would have to be done by someone who really knew what they were doing or other handling and tyre wear effects could be introduced.
Stiff steering - Manatee
FWIW, Mrs M's 2002 Civic has electric PAS and it's quite noticeable to me that the wheel tends to stay in the position you put it within a couple or three inches either side of centre. I wouldn't say it was heavy though, and I stop noticing if I drive it for a few days.
Stiff steering - Pugugly
Our work Pool car is Honda with electric PAS - much the same as you describe. The Skoda and Golf we have have electric PAS which are just fine.
Stiff steering - KB.
Whilst in my supplying dealer today I got the workshop foreman to check steering on my new 'old shape' Jazz. He said it's perfectly normal and that Honda have issued notices to the effect that reports of steering not self centering are associated simply with the characteristic of the car and are designed to offer the driver more feel of the road. I don't have a problem with this..... admittedly the wheel doesn't spin rapidly back through your hands as it does on some other cars but Honda evidently say that you're not supposed to do this anyway (see Highway Code). I remain happy with the car and especially the CVT which I find excellent.....certainly no shortage of creep in traffic and very smooth. Can't report on MPG yet - certainly not spectacular but still early days.
Stiff steering - Pugugly
I was driving our 55 reg pool Honda Civic IMA the other day and thinking of this post- exactly the same problem on its predecessor an 04 plated one. Steering wouldn't self centre on it - went back to Honda under warranty and got fixed. Whilst not dangerous it was a nuisance and counter intuitive when you drove it. Never had any problem with the newer one, other than the steering can get heavy at certain parking speeds - not a nuisance only noticeably "wrong" - weird. My Skoda has electric power steering - never feels anything other than "normal".
Stiff steering - KB.
PU.....What did they 'fix' under warranty?
Stiff steering - Pugugly
Dunno it's a lease car - I reported it, it got collected and returned fixed. Thinking about it after my last post this car lived outside in the Office car park (sort of wooded business park), there was evidence of rodent infestation (seat squab chewed - Honest !) and evidence under the bonnet of foam insulation and sound proofing. I always suspected that the fault was something to do with that.

We terminated the contract eventually after trouble with the leasing company and bought in an identical car - crappier performance was the only difference.

Edited by Pugugly on 20/01/2009 at 23:03

Stiff steering - dds
Hi,
I own a 2007 1.4SE which is my second Jazz. The first one had no steering issues. However this one does have issues with the power steering. It's a hard one to describe but when you are driving on a straight the steering feels almost notchy or sticky and needs almost constant correction. It really is spoiling what is a good little car but the driving experience is horrible compared to my last 2002 Jazz. I reported this to my dealer last year and they said they 'reset' the steering but that it was perfectly normal. To be fair to them it did seem to help for a while but during a long drive recently the above sensation has came back and is as bad as it was the last time. Funnily enough it was on a long motorway drive last year that the problem first occurred. I am due to take it in for it's second service soon and will report this issue again but can anyone suggest what this might be caused by? Any information would be appreciated and would hopefully help the dealer diagnose the issue. If they can't fix it the car will be getting traded in at some point and I'll be making sure my next car has hydraulic steering!
Stiff steering - nortones2
Our Civic (2003) has a similar feel, especially on M-ways. Sometimes it feels reluctant to allow slight movement - but unfortunately its not consistent. When a few degrees of lock are applied, all is well. The 'straight ahead' position is where it gets gluey. I think the CRV diesel has a proper hydraulic system, and might well suit an impending move to higher ground.
Stiff steering - tedbul

I have a 2007 honda jazz,have done nearly 40,000 km,have been told to tell them to check the steering rack at the 40,000 service for not self centering,this should be repaired under warranty.
Regards Terry
Stiff steering - primeradriver
To the OP, you must surely have test-driven the model before you bought it? If so, you have a point of reference.

I personally think you've got used to something lighter and will get used to this car likewise.