1999 1.8 Petrol- engine noise diagnosing - jp147
I have a 1.8 petrol Ford Focus which has 78k miles.

Since the car had a service last November I have noticed that when the engine is such that it is running at about 1500rpm e.g. at 30mph in fourth gear or 20-25 mph in third gear there is a noise that I can't remember being there before the service - perhaps a coincidence ?

Anyway, I describe the noise as being like a dull sound (low frequency) similar to the noise I had when a previous non genuine Ford exhaust was fitted (which I had replaced with a genuine one and the low frequency deep sound was gone).

How can I tell if the noise I have now is caused by the engine, gearbox or exhaust ?

Thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 21:42

1999 1.8 Petrol- engine noise diagnosing - Pugugly
Wheel bearing ?
1999 1.8 Petrol- engine noise diagnosing - mikej
I suffered a very loud droaning sound from the rear of my Focus a few years ago and replaced the exhaust thinking that was the cause, but it turned out to be a faulty rear wheel bearing. Thankfully, the exhaust was in need of replacement anyway !

The best way to check for faulty rear wheel bearings is to chuck your car round a few corners and see if the noise level changes - I would imagine the same should be true for the front bearings too ?

If you go round a left-hand bend and the noise increases, then this points to a faulty bearing on the driver's side of the car. If the noise decreases, then this points to a faulty bearing on the passenger side of the car.

In my case, the sound was definitely coming from the rear of the car so I knew the rear bearings were the problem. If your noise is coming from the front and you get the change in noise levels as described above, then this might be the front bearings causing your problem.

One last tip - if a bearing has gone, then replace both sides. I didn't and had to do the other a matter of months later, just adding to the hassle !
1999 1.8 Petrol- engine noise diagnosing - jp147
"bump"

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/01/2009 at 23:40