My Fiesta - now more confused. - Rattle
I am beginning to realise my old Fiesta which has caused some problems actually has some good points, just used it for the first time since NYE today, started instantly, ran really smoothly, no miss fire it was just lovely and smooth, this is helped by my improved clutch control and mecanical sympathy. It seems some of the problems with the clutch was down to my bad driving.

I paid £350 for it, spent £200 on it including drive shaft gaitor, two new decent tyres, new brake fluid float switch, oil change and tow bar removal. Underneath is a little rusty but solid, I cannot see anything bad enough to even warrant an advisory on the MOT and the new sills are still completly solid and showing no signs of rust.

The engine does not burn any oil whats so ever, there is no rattles or any smoke. The tappets need doing but I have been adviced against that by people on here and my mechanic.

The problem I do little milleage so don't want to get into debt on a car I rarely use, so a banger is better but although the car has only done 600 miles since the last MOT are couple of issues, firstly the brakes make a bit of noise but are sharp, I think this is rust on the discs, secondly there is a clonk from the rear suspensoon when I go over a sudden pot hole it passes the shock test. The MOT advisory says reduced damping effect at rear so I assume this is what is causing it.

My own mechanic has a leave it to MOT attitude but I will happily spend £250 on getting the faults fixed as the car seems to be reliable engine wise despite its 9 previous owners (the last person owned the car for 3 years and the last 5 MOTs have been at the same garage).

The brake pipes I am confused about, as there are some brand new pipes running under the sills, but then there appears to be a pipe inside the coils which are rusty, but looking at the rear of the brakes there is a brand new pipe going into the drums so what are two pipes for?

I am worried if I buy a different car I will find faults with that, and I will be back to square one, so now I know the faults with my Fiesta and the engine and gearbox seem good it might be best to stick with it.

If I took my car to a different garage (finding one will be hard, most of them have been sacked by us) would they charge me a fortune to diagnose the brake and suspension issues?

Sorry for my long post, I am just confused as since my driving is improving my car is a lot smoother .

It just seems if I git rid of it, it may just be because of wear items, suspension and brakes and I would have to get this work done on many cars no doubt.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 17:04

My fiesta - now more confused. - rtj70
I can recommend the Citroen Repair Centre in Reddish. They seem pretty honest - one employee there has a son who is friends with ours. They have done a lot of work on his cars over the last few years.

It's a back street garage but run by a couple of honest blokes. They are listed in the Good Garages section on this website. They are not far from Microdirect (the one on the A6 opposite McVities) so you could pop in and ask their opinion.

To answer the question on could it cost a fortune to diagnose the problem - it probably depends on how obvious the problem is and how honest the garage is.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/01/2009 at 15:08

My fiesta - now more confused. - Rattle
Thanks will look that up. This what I am worried as the clunk is rather random and is probably why my mechanic is putting it off as he things diagnoses might be time consuming. My initial suspects are either top mount bushes or anti roller bushes, but it could be shocks, depressed springs, anything really.

I am just in a real dilema as I can afford a better car, but I don't really need one and I would rather spend £250 on getting mine fixed than getting a new one as I could end up buying something more serious than a faulty bush and slight surface rust discs.
My fiesta - now more confused. - Andrew-T
>The clunk is rather random ..

Is this definitely the suspension? Might it be just something not properly secured at the back, such as the spare wheel or even the exhaust?
I've already tried all that, I have even gone as far as removing the wheel tray as I suspected that. The bolt which connects to can be pulled loose as it has nothing to bolt onto to, so I put a nut under it to stop it from moving, however the nois did it before so I can;t see it is that.

What is odd is that my MOT cert says no advisories, yet on the first MOT fail it says there was, one of the things was the obvious brake pipes the other was reduced damping effect at the rear and I suspect this is the cause of the noisy. The shocks seem ok and the springs look ok but I shall need to jack up the car and have a proper look. I am suspecting either roll bar bushes as it seems to happen when slightly moving to the right or at random pot holes, but the pot hole bit sounds almost as it is the top mounts.

I need to give the car a damn good tidy up anyway so I will take everything out including the apare just in case the noise then shuts up. The remains of the tow bar are still bolted to the chasis but there should be no movement in that.
My fiesta - now more confused. - oilrag
Rattle,
I would keep it, try to stop thinking about it and enjoy the freedom that car ownership should be giving.

I felt like a caged bird set free when I had my first motorised transport. London, the East coast - Scotland..
on a wing and a prayer - no breakdown cover - holes in the floor, where water blasted up your leg if it rained.

All the best ;-)
Times of changed though, if I had an accident I am sure the car woudl be inspected if any faults were found with the brakes then my insurance may be invalide, I would loose my licence etc. My mechanic tells my brakes are fine but I only have his verbal word for it they feel just as good as my dads but that is all I have to compare it with. Ten years ago I would have been happy to just leave it till MOT but things have changed.

It does also put me off driving far. The car handles very well and brakes well so I am not too concerned but somethign is wrong some where.
My fiesta - now more confused. - rtj70
Cheapest way to check brakes etc is book it in for an MOT. If the brakes are not right they should show up. Same if the suspension is not safe.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/01/2009 at 15:28

My fiesta - now more confused. - Avant
It's tempting for all of us to be motoring hypochondriacs and worry about every creak, clunk or even rattle. Old cars will always make funny noises. But as you've had it looked at by a mechanic and it's got its MoT, just enjoy driving it and keep it until it needs a repair which is worth more than the car is. Then use your savings to buy something newer.
I am not realy too bothered about old car noises, there is a slight wine in 1st for example when slowing down but its works perfectly and it probably just needs gear oil but I do so little milleage it won't a problem. It is the safety aspect that worries me, as especialy if the cops see a 13 year old car driven by a young male its the perfect target to stop.

The new MOT idea has been suggested before on here and I do like the idea, mine only has four months remaining now anyway so its not like I would loose a lot. There is an MOT place near me which only do MOTs and no repairs so might be worth taking it to, then if it showed any potential expensive advisories I could always sell it with a 12 month ticket. It gets complicated if it fails though getting the work done, and my mechanic will think I am barking mad if I ask him do an early MOT.

My fiesta - now more confused. - CarNovice28
Don't forget local council MOT test centre!

Often working out cheaper and also don't do repairs.

My fiesta - now more confused. - quizman
Drive to the top of the highest hill you can find, freewheel down. If you are still alive after this, for goodness sake stop worrying and enjoy yourself.

Have you, or a relative, ever owned a Focus saloon?

Happy new year.
Might be worth reflecting on personality and anxiety too Rattle.

I bet you are extremely good and conscientious in your work. Taking more care than average looking after customers and going into more detail with them - also really being sure jobs are done to the highest quality. Really caring about this and it being integral to your work.

With older cars its not possible to find the same level of quality - an acceptable straight edge - and there is also seemingly the past accident - traumatic events can be long lasting.

With respect -
consider other aspects of life... and know yourself.
*Speaking generally*,
Anxiety about things being `right` can be a great help in a career as a motivator - but it can also persist in other areas such as cars - all cars. Sometimes its best to at least recognise that and accept it - with a choice to work to reduce it.

Hence why some of us just can`t live without wiping the brake lines with grease - or half interval oil and filter changes. Ask GB - he`s `forcing` himself to go 4,500 on a first oil change....;-)
If everyone were to write about how their particular personality attributes affects their cars and motoring - it would be illuminating. Too much perhaps - even behind a keyboard ;)

Please ask for this post to be deleted - if you wish.

All the best. ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 03/01/2009 at 16:53

:) The daft thing is I am more worried about the police than anything else, as my car handles well and the brakes seem sharp I am not worried about any imediate danger, if I was on the motorway everyday then I might start worrying about springs and such like but at 30mph I would be extremely unlucky if it caused a serious accident.

I just want to know my car would pass a roadside inspection if I got stopped and I am not convinced it will which is why I am worried.

There are other faults such as the back wiper dosn't work (needs new motor, intend to fix this myself if I decide to keep the car), and is porverty spec even for a 13 year old Ford but it dosn't bother me. I also need two keys, one for the drivers door and one for the igniton as they are both worn in difference places (the master opens all) again that dosn't bother me.

I think for £50 (the price of a night out if I get dragged round the most expensive bars/pubs - which thankfully rarely happens now!) an MOT will be a good idea.

Oilrag I think part of the problem is its my first proper car (I have owned one before but it was a uses to learn in so it wasn't the same). You here so many stores of people getting stopped and finded for simple things it makes me paranoid. But I always have been like witht he law, its like my jobs I end up delcaring every sinlge one of them but it hurts at this time of year, but at least if I ever had a random tax inspection I would have nothing too worry about. I wantt o be the same with my car, why should I be worried about a random inspection?
My fiesta - now more confused. - Avant
"....there is a slight wine in 1st ...."

Ah now there's the problem. Just put some full-bodied red in there, drink the rest of the bottle and all will be fine.
hehe, the whine is hardly even noticable, it just sounds very much like the noise you got from an old A series when slowing down. Its quite a charming noise really.
My fiesta - now more confused. - quizman
Further to my previous advice; if you have only done 600 miles since the last MOT, you will be perfectly OK if the police inspect your car. You seem very particular in your maintenence, so don't worry.

My son's first car, a Peugeot 309, used to make the most awful noises. He had it for 3 years until he wrote it off in a hedge, his fault not the cars.

My fiesta - now more confused. - whoopwhoop
Rattle, get some perspective on things. It's an old banger. If you worry about everything that needs doing on it, you'll end up (if you aren't already) lying awake at night. If it has a current MOT and has no obvious faults, and you've taken reasonable steps to ensure it's roadworthiness (i.e. proper maintenance and servicing) then you're unlikely to have any problems with the law.

Here's a tip... spend less time worrying about your car (and less time posting on forums about your car) and chill out and enjoy life!

;-)

PS Oilrag speaks words of great wisdom!
Thanks that is the thing if I got asked when it was last serviced, well it might have even been before the decade began! I've mentioend before that when I had the oil change done they said they had a struggle to remove the filter as it had rusted in place. I think because I here all these clonks the suspension is about to fall off but in reality is probably perfectly save. My mechanci has driven the car but that dosn't really mean anything but he at least did spot the faulty cv boot and fixed it.

What is proper servicing? I've got a few receipts to say I have had work done like them tyres changed but thats it. PS one of my rear tyres has oven wear, it is 90% 4mm but the very end of it is down to about 1.8mm, am I right in thinking that the law says 3/4 has to be 1.6mm? I intend to swap this tyre with my spare long term anyway
My fiesta - now more confused. - mss1tw
removed following a complaint

Edited by Pugugly on 03/01/2009 at 18:23

" I wantt o be the same with my car, why should I be worried about a random inspection? "

Its difficult to get a totally `straight edge` with a car - even a new one. Something is always there if you drill down far enough to find it.

I`ve also found that its possible to have a sort of internalised (what I call) `worry box` when the main worry is removed, another re-surfaces and becomes prominent.
Its recognising that and learning to live with it sometimes.

Ask yourself - has any initial worry about working on peoples computers now subsided. Yes - I bet.

If the car focussed initial anxiety can be controlled - it will likely reduce by the same exposure (as to computers and customers) and by your gathering knowledge and expertise - which will make the workings more transparent. (as in how you can look at a computer now - with all its physical parameters visible to component level and beyond - in the minds eye.)

I always say to people "think positive in situations - it may not happen"
My fiesta - now more confused. - CarNovice28
Hi Rattle - sorry to butt in!

Oilrag speaks wisely and I've learnt a great deal just from reading this thread! I am the same - very pedantic and always wanting the best of everything - Which? best buys etc etc

In trying to find a new car, I have read review after review, instead of just going out having test drives in suitable cars and finding out which I like the best.

I feel more relaxed about things now. I'm going back to my original idea of just choosing a reliable runabout i.e. a Yaris or a Jazz that I can get a reasonable amount back for in a few years.

I've realised life's too short to ponder so much. You just have to let things take their course sometimes.

All the best mate.

CN.

Just got back to from Didsbury (first time I have drank there for years) and I should be as worry free as ever but I am not. It seems I worry a lot less when driving the car than I do at night. I am going to ask my dad to drive it next week as his main car as he as the same car but four trim levels higher up he should soon know if the brakes or suspension is dodgy. If my dad finds it ok I will stop worrying about as it is then a 2nd opinion but still do local journeys to build up my confidence but then get it MOT'ed in April which is not far away. Basically when I drive it even compared to a modern car I am used to can't find much wrong with it as longs as I treat the clutch with huge respect (if it passed the next MOT I will happily get a new clutch fitted) it drives a lot smoother than my dads.

I just could do with it a second opinion as both our last cars failed the MOT on brakes even though my mechanic said they wrre fine, my last car used to shudder when braking I actually made a post on it on here two years ago which people concluded was my driving, yet it failed on the brakes on the MOT and afterwards the problem went away. So my imagination in the past has been an MOT faulure twice in fact.

People on here think I am paranoid and it parely true but I have good reason. I just wonder if a new MOT test is far too trastic and of course an MOT may not even diagnose the problems anyway as well know an MOT is just a piece of paper not reallt proof the car is road worthy.
My fiesta - now more confused. - doctorchris
Rattle, get a grip.
My eldest daughter, Erin, lives in Didsbury and if I thought you driving your Fiesta put her at any kind of risk, I would personally come round and strangle you.
However, I feel that you are a decent lad with a great little car but you have a huge crisis of confidence.
If you lived in the North East I would personally come round, inspect your car and put your mind at rest.
As you obviously live in the North West I cannot do that.
Lad, drink a lot less, worry a lot less and enjoy your motoring!
Drink means less worry though! Although actually drink means I can forget the fact I am aging, talk about family history all night and rather bizzarely spend 7 hours not talking about cars! When girls are pressent even mentioning motor cars is not a good idea!

I probablly am a paranoid git, if the weather warms up next week I shall remove my wheels and get some picutres up, if there is anything obviouslly wrong with my brakes or suspension I am sure it will easily be spotted here, if not then I am sure its just noises due to old age :)

On the plus side I have never once felt like the car was out of control other than when I used to ride the clutch and it started slipping. Funny enough my dads car clutch started slipping a few weeks back after my dad paniced in a siutation but its been fine for the past 300 miles :) so I hoping my slippage was under similar circumstances.

PS If I felt there was a real danger, e.g steeting was faulty, brakes didn;t work, or it puleld to the left or right there was no way I would even consider driving it :)., So far al I know is the car has always stopped exactly where I needed it to and it has always steered to exactly what I told it to apart from when I first got it and my dad nearly crashed it, which turned out to be because the tytes were under inflated by 10psi! Two of them tyres have been replaced now.