Omega computer display - divvny
Is any one else having problems with their omega computer display losing the figures? My 1995 model is getting hard to read. can they be repaired? or is it a new unit?
Omega computer display - Dynamic Dave
Is it actually the display, or the backlight?
Never understood why Vauxhall use and LED/LCD display, then illuminate it from behind with bulbs. Have you ever tried changing the odometer bulb on a Vauxhall? Garage want £50 labour to do it. Half the dash facia has to come off.
Omega computer display - SjB {P}
This is a reasonably frequent problem with Omegas and Vectras.

Although my current 42,000 mile GSi Estate has not suffered this fate yet, my last Vectra SRi V6 Estate did at 50,000 miles, and it is a common thread on many GM related dicussion forums I have seen.

I would imagine the problem to be circuit board dry joints, or something akin to this, but unfortunately, practical resolution is replacement of the unit.

If you decide it is worth spending the money to do this - being a lease car, my decision was easy - make sure that the fuel flow sensor is correctly calibrated afterwards. When the defective unit I metioned above was replaced, the average fuel consumption just kept scrolling and scrolling, until about ten miles down the road, it said I had averaged 99.9 mpg (I wish!) and then stayed there. Whatever the cause was, was fixed in minutes by the dealer, whilst I waited.

/Steve
Omega computer display - svpworld
I agree that dash lamps are ridiculously difficult to change and should be replaced either with LED's or easier to replace. This is the main reason I often reduce the dash illumination level to a minimum so as to prolong the lamp life! Also, if you ever do decide to have a lamp replaced at a garage, I would highly recommend that you ask them to replace all the lamps routine, since the cost of the bulbs is negible in comparison to the labour in getting to them!

Simon

Although I agree about 'difficult to change' backlights, I very much doubt that this is a backlighting problem. Every case I have seen of Vectra displays that are hard to read is because the display itself becomes pixelated.

In other words, individual elements of each digit fail to operate, so a 'B' or an '8' becomes a '0' or a '6', or even something completely gobbledygook, for example.

/Steve
Omega computer display - Dynamic Dave
I often reduce the dash illumination level
to a minimum so as to prolong the lamp life!

Reducing voltage to a bulb can actually shorten a bulbs life. The filament can carbon up - the glass has a blackened or crome look to it. I used to get this a lot on my old Astra's number plate bulb. Discovered the reason - poor electrical connection. The bulb was only getting 9 volts instead of its full quota of 12 volts.
Omega computer display - volvoman
Simon even though it is not a DIY job your 'tip' on replacing all the bulbs if the dash has to be removed is an excellent one - Hope you don't mind why if I put it in my Trade Tips thread - please add any others you have like it !
Omega computer display - Crombster
If the digits fade then your stuffed, you need a new unit. My Omega CDX has the Check control computer and the unit cost me just over £350. I had to buy one when I bought the car and now, three and a half years later the same s**ding thing is happening again!

I believe the problem is the connection between the screen and the printed circuit board, The connector is paper thin and factory soldered to the board. Any moisture or whatever can damage the contacts rendering the unit useless. You cant repair it due to the delicacy of the connector :(

Omega computer display - svpworld
Well for £350 I'd have a go at repairing it! Fortunately mines ok so far, but I know the sort of problem you are referring to. There is usually a conductive foam strip between the glass and pcb, and with the sort of temperature shocks that a car experiences in winters etc, I suppose it could go faulty. 3.5 yrs is rather bad though, have you complained?

S.

At £350 it looks like its my new place for sticking my air freshner>> If the digits fade then your stuffed, you need a new
unit. My Omega CDX has the Check control computer and the
unit cost me just over £350. I had to buy
one when I bought the car and now, three and a
half years later the same s**ding thing is happening again!
I believe the problem is the connection between the screen and
the printed circuit board, The connector is paper thin and
factory soldered to the board. Any moisture or whatever can
damage the contacts rendering the unit useless. You cant repair
it due to the delicacy of the connector :(
Omega computer display - Crombster
I haven't. Would they listen? I am fairly friendly with the local parts department but I guess I would need to escalate it higher than them.

Omega computer display - chris taylor
Yes you'll need a new display - all the warnings, radio codes and engine fault codes etc come up on it so I bet it would be difficult to live without it for long.

I've just bought a '96 omega that has just had it replaced, the garage told me it cost £200 so it may be worthwhile shopping around. Another 96 omega I drove recently had the same problem as you describe so getting one second hand may be a problem as it does seem like a common fault.