97 1.5 - head gasket diagnosis - scfc_151
Hi my partners 106 is smoking blue and white smoke, losing power and juddering when ticking over and sometimes through the gears.

Im wondering if it could be losing pressure through the head gasket? what is the test for this and how much would it cost?
Would a garage do a pressure test for this?

There is no white crud on the oil filler or dispstick and I dont think its loosing coolant. What other things could it be?

cheers

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/12/2008 at 19:02

97 1.5 - head gasket diagnosis - TurboD
is this blue and white at the same time?, or alternately?
Iwould think it is hard to have both at once, as the blue would dominate.
But, blue smoke tends to be lubrication oil being burnt through worn bores/rings or valve seals.
White smike is often vapour from head gasket failure, but it would lose coolant- no doubt.
Tests for this are the sniffertest - to see if exhaust gas is in teh coolant, or compression test on each cyclinder to see if the compression has failed.
But at the age of the car I would think any garage attention is going to be above the value. So if you are not a DIYer , it is going to be dear to cure, if it is a HG, or even bore wear. You do not quote th emiles covered.
Does the coolant header tank have bubbling - when you rev up?, a sure sign of HG leak.
How much oil is being used?
97 1.5 - head gasket diagnosis - scfc_151
Thanks for the reply

as far as i know its more blue smoke than white. I think its more condensation in cold weather but the other half disagrees.

The car has done some fair millage i think its on 131,000. I cant see any bubbling in the header tank and ive never had to top up oil before servicing.

Its just the judering and loss of power that worries me.
97 1.5 - head gasket diagnosis - injection doc
i Guess its a diesel & it sounds like it could be an injector or low on compression on one cylinder causing the uneven running & smoke. May be worth trying some Commer diesel injector magic first ( Halfords ) Get the car nice & hot & remove & fill the fuel filter with a bottle of cleaner & put another bottle in the tank. Start the car back up & let it idle for 1 min then switch off & leave overnite. may be a little reluctant to start in the morning so be prepared. & then drive untill the fuel tank has been used up before refilling with diesel. If it persists get the injectors tested & check valve clearances.
i doc