Diesel starting - glow plugs help - dieselfreak
I have recently bought a 1991 mk 2 Golf GTD (1600cc 80bhp intercooled Turbo Diesel), its a high miler, 170K, but with only three owners and a FSH, its good, I like it.

Up until recently it started OK, glow plug light came on, went off, depress clutch, turn key, engine fired almost immediately and ran fine.

Can you help with the folowing problem - now when starting the glow plug light comes on constant, then starts to flash, then goes off. Car turns over very well, but only starts reluctantly. Once started the engine runs fine, glow plug light then begins to flash on and off about 6 - 8 times then stays off.

Its not damp and all connections seem tight and OK, there is no Haynes manual for this car, and the Haynes generic Diesel engine manual only covers the VW 1.9 D engines, and says nothing about starting systems anyway, the VW Golf manual with car only says
"if Glow plug light begins to flash call expert assistance"

Any constuctive advice would be helpful, thanks
Diesel starting - glow plugs help - crazed
have a look round for a golf fan web site, i know there are a few, just carnt remember the names

theyll be able to point u into right direction

Diesel starting - glow plugs help - David Davies
Quite often the flashing glow plug light simply means one or more of the glow plugs have failed.My advice would be to renew all four and to use good quality parts.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Diesel starting - glow plugs help - dieselfreak
Thanks for all replies, problem solved, closer examination revealed the connection of the plug lead to the relay was sheared, the light on the dash was ( I guess), flashing to tell me there was no circuit to the glow plugs, car was starting on compression alone, lucky it wasnt winter !!