00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - Car
Hi had a moment of madness and put 0.94 litres (0.21 gallons) of petrol into my diesel. Then filled up with just under 47 litres of diesel, so under 2% petrol.

Car is running ok and will top up with diesel in another 50 miles time.

Hope everthing will be ok.
00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - rtj70
Thanks for sharing. Let us know if you have problems in the future - I'll keep my fingers crossed your PD engine is okay.

If you were that low in fuel you perhaps should have considered draining the tank - they only hold 55 litres don't they? I'm sure it will be okay but I'd have played it safe. Too late now :-)

Edited by rtj70 on 18/12/2008 at 22:48

00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - Hamsafar
It should be fine, it probably still meets EN590 too. If you want, add some Millers Power Sport 4 restore a bit of cetane and lubricity.
Thanks for the replies so far, I will make sure that I try not to feel up when I'm in a hurry next time. Forgot I was driving my car not the misses which is a petrol, will make sure she always fills up her car so I don't put diesel in it and have told her that her next car will be a diesel.

Not sure about using addertives as not sure they are recommend by VW. Will probably put high quality diesel in to say sorry to the car.
00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - craig-pd130

The PD engines should be fairly safe against misfuelling damage as they are direct injection, the fuel is only pressurised to 30,000psi within the injector body itself.

All of the major high-pressure components in the injection system (camshaft, followers, injector rocker & body etc) are lubricated by engine oil and there's no high-pressure common-rail pump to worry about.

Especially with such a tiny amount of petrol, I think the car will be absolutely fine. As you say, top up the tank again after 100 miles or so.
00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - ChicksFan
Fancy telling your missus that YOU will decide what her next car will be. How controlling is that! The poor woman...
00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - Pat L
I did something similar about 3 years ago with my Audi A4 1.9 115 (X reg). I accidentally put about 1 gallon of unleaded into an almost empty tank and then topped up with diesel. It started and ran ok and I kept putting some more diesel in every few days to further dilute the petrol. I also put some Millers additive in the tank and drove fairly gently for the next few hundred miles. The car has suffered no long term damage - now coming to 100k miles and running like new. You put in less petrol and you should be fine.

Good luck!
Thanks Pat L

Will fill up on Chritsmas eve after doing 95 miles but will drive fairly gentle for the next 200 miles.

Mines on 125,000 so if it lasts another 100,000 will be well pleased, and suspect it will.
00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - tujags
In cold countries - Canada - petrol is normally added to the diesel to offset waxing so a small amount should do no harm.
Fancy telling your missus that YOU will decide what her next car will be. How
controlling is that! The poor woman...
She is quite free to choose what ever car she wants, and I allowed her to choose her present car although it was to be mine for a couple of months, and I must say she made a good choice this time.

Edited by Car on 21/12/2008 at 22:05

00 1.9 Under 2% petrol into diesel car - ChicksFan
Good man. Thanks for responding.

Regards, Ron

"She is quite free to choose what ever car she wants and I allowed her to choose her present car although it was to be mine for a couple of months and I must say she made a good choice this time."