Hit by caravan last night - David Horn
Was passing a caravan on the M4 last night when I heard a loud bang (sounded like a blown tyre) from the nearside rear of my car. Looking in the mirror I could see the caravan fishtailing wildly and assumed that their tyre had blown.

I pulled off at the next services but couldn't see any damage to my car so continued on. On closer inspection this morning there are several thumbnail sized chunks of paint taken off on the trim close to the back wheel.

Any suggestions as to the best approach to getting this sorted, or is it best to grit my teeth and think how much worse it could be? ;-)

I'm guessing that the police will probably have a record of this due to the number of "Highway Patrols" drifting up and down the motorway.
Hit by caravan last night - rtj70
I doubt if there is any evidence of the event. I think you'll have to grit your teeth and deal with it.
Hit by caravan last night - oldnotbold
Grit yr teeth, I'm afraid.
Hit by caravan last night - terryb
I reckon it's grit your teeth time too, with the possible consolation that the caravan will have come off worse (probably wood frame and aluminium side panels, GRP back end).

Is it the sort of damage Chipmaster or similar would repair for < £100?

Hit by caravan last night - Ian (Cape Town)
Count your lucky stars!

"... and assumed that their tyre had blown"

Another reason why I hate local shedders - a hell of a lot of them do no maintenance to their sheds from year to year, and the tyres, wheel bearings etc are normally in rubbish condition, contributing to the glut of accidents around this time of year...

Do caravans/trailers have to have an MOT in the UK?

Hit by caravan last night - L'escargot
If it's just paint on trim and not on a metal panel then a touch-up kit would be easiest, quickest, and cheapest.
Hit by caravan last night - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think caravans should be MOT'd and pay a road tax based on their length.
Hit by caravan last night - Altea Ego
>I'm guessing that the police will probably have a record of this due to the number of >"Highway Patrols" drifting up and down the motorway.

what ever gives you that idea?
"I think caravans should be MOT'd and pay a road tax based on their length."

Any towed trailer/caravan with a GVW >500 kg is MoTd in many mainland Europe countries every two years. Certainly the case in the Netherlands and Germany, and I think France.
Hit by caravan last night - Alby Back
My German next door neighbour has an enclosed box type trailer for his motorbikes. It is towed by his wife's car which although based in this country still carries German plates. Not sure how they get away with that but that's another story.......

The trailer is also on German plates but a different reg number to the car. I questioned that and he tells me that the trailer is registered and insured in its own right.

Sounds plausible anyway......
"The trailer is also on German plates but a different reg number to the car. I questioned that and he tells me that the trailer is registered and insured in its own right."

True.
Hit by caravan last night - Armitage Shanks {p}
This is 'true, in Germany, but the arrangement in not legal in UK. Trailer has to have Reg No of towing vehicle SFAIK
Hit by caravan last night - gmac
This is 'true in Germany but the arrangement in not legal in UK. Trailer has
to have Reg No of towing vehicle SFAIK

Is that not just for insurance purposes as a UK trailer/caravan is covered by the insurance of the car?
In Europe, as previously stated, a trailer/caravan has its own insurance so has its own plates. I can take my UK car to Germany and stick a German plated trailer on it, no questions asked.
Hit by caravan last night - Spospe
Answers to a couple of points raised:

1) There is no MOT in the UK for caravans or trailers under 7 metres (don't know about Artic trailers).

2) In several European countries trailers and caravans are registered as road vehicles and carry differnt number plates to the towing vehicle. This is useful as it means there is no need to change the number plate when the towing vehilcle changes.
Hit by caravan last night - Number_Cruncher
>>don't know about Artic trailers

They have their own MOT

Hit by caravan last night - bathtub tom
>>caravan fishtailing wildly and assumed that their tyre had blown

As you pass a 'van, it'll be sucked towards you (I had it explained to me once, but I can't remember enough to repeat it).
Hit by caravan last night - smokie
"As you pass a 'van, it'll be sucked towards you"

Aha, so it was all your fault then! I'd keep schtum if I were you :-) :-)

When I had a 'van it was "insured in it's own right", but that was against theft and damage to it - I don't believe it gave any cover for accidents it may have caused - I assume that would be covered by the car insurance.
Hit by caravan last night - ifithelps
...sucked towards you....

Careful caravaners will deliberately move towards the centre line of a dual carriageway as they are about to be passed.

As passing vehicle comes alongside, caravaner pulls to nearside by a foot or two thereby creating a larger gap and negating the suction effect.

Hit by caravan last night - Spospe
smokie

When I had a caravan, it was covered when on the move by the car insurance and when on site by its own policy (which included all fittings and third party claims when not in motion).

I asked my insurers, who would pay if the van became detached from the car whilst in transit and caused a claim; the answer was the car insurer.

Edited by Spospe on 13/12/2008 at 20:47

Hit by caravan last night - b308
When I had a caravan it was covered when on the move by the car
insurance

I don't think thats automatic, you need to check the policy wording....
Hit by caravan last night - Pugugly
I got trailer cover - but my company told me I had very basic cover as standard. (extra cover was 52 quid a year - covers everything.)
>>caravan fishtailing wildly and assumed that their tyre had blown
As you pass a 'van it'll be sucked towards you (I had it explained to
me once but I can't remember enough to repeat it).

Because of the gap between you and the caravan, the air on that side will travel slightly faster. Faster air has a lower pressure. Hence low air pressure on "your" side of the van high pressure on the other - bingo van sways towards you.
Hit by caravan last night - Happy Blue!
This of course is the principle of 'flight' as air passes over the hump of the wing more quickly than the flat underside and causes lift.
This of course is the principle of 'flight' as air passes over the hump of
the wing more quickly than the flat underside and causes lift.

Bernoulli's Principle.
Hit by caravan last night - Happy Blue!
That's him

Doesn't explain how some planes can fly upside though - does it? :-)

They have anti-Bernoulli flaps ;-)
Hit by caravan last night - pyruse
That's him

Actually, yes, it does, but they'll have to keep their wing leading edges tilted up, because the shape of the wing on its own won't do it when upside down.
Many stunt planes don't have aerofoil shaped wings anyway, they are symmetrical, giving better inverted performance.

You can get lift from a flat piece of cardboard so long as you tilt it a bit.
Because of the gap between you and the caravan the air on that side will
travel slightly faster. Faster air has a lower pressure. Hence low air pressure on "your"
side of the van high pressure on the other - bingo van sways towards you.

A car is not usually too bad, unless it passes at high speed... a lorry or van, however is a different kettle of fish...
Hit by caravan last night - Kiwi Gary
I have often wondered why in UK everything being towed seemed to have a temporary registration number, often just hand-written on a bit of card. Now I understand. Here, everything towed has to be separately registered, taxed, MoT'd, and carry its own insurance ( assuming that the owner bothers with same ). No minimum size or weight, or insurance cover from the towing vehicle. Caravans are also subject to annual electrical safety certification if they can take a 230-volt supply.
There would be a lot less stuff towed around over here if that was the case!

We always did an annual service on our 'van but many don't, though I have to admit that other than a visual check and tyre pressures I didn't really check my little trailer much...
Hit by caravan last night - mfarrow
Chips Away did a cracking job on my Mum's Fiesta (sister scraped it on the wall coming into the drive).

As long as it is just a scrape, not a severe dent, this sort of outfit should be able to deal with it for <£200.

You will never find the caravan.
You will never find the caravan.

Just be thankful that hopefully you wounded it in some way, and its now dying in the side of the road bleeding to death, never destined to mate and proliferate the species.
Hit by caravan last night - Big Bad Dave
Up until a few years ago my old man was an avid caravanner. Back in the 80s he was towing the van with a new Mark IV 2 litre Cortina on the M5 when the rear tyre blew. He managed to guide it to the hard shoulder but before he could stop the caravan somehow managed to flip the car onto its side.

The rescue services came and separated the car from the van which was completely undamaged. While their attention was turned to righting the car, no one noticed the van slowly began to roll backwards. It gradually gathered momentum until it had out-paced the rescue guys and carried on until it eventually drifted off the hard shoulder and flipped over onto a fence which skewered it in about four places. Add to this the pot of jam and bag of flour which exploded inside and the whole thing was written off.
Hit by caravan last night - grumpyscot
I hope you realise that Gordon Brown will get wind of this discussion and think "Now here's another money raising venture - let's introduce separate road tax and MOTs for all trailers no matter if they're only small enough to carry a bag of spuds or a big enough caravan to house a football team". "And, we'll charge treble if they want to enter a congestion zone, or want to park anywhere". "And let's not forget that each caravan will need to be registered to get it's own number plate, so we'll charge a one-off fee of £500 to add to DVLA's coffers".

Edited by grumpyscot on 15/12/2008 at 07:29

Hit by caravan last night - Manatee
Now THAT's politics!

He's right though.