96 1.3 Help before I try to change oil press light - Rattle
I am planning of replacing my oil pressure light this week as I have a bit of spare time. My mechanic says there is the correct oil pressure getting through to the engine and there is no symptons of oil problems but I would like the warning light to work anyway.

At the moment the bulb doesn't come on when I start the ignition so I assume its the bulb.

There is a buzzing noise sometimes from the engine bay I am not too worried about it, but in case there is a possibility its a dying pump I would rather get this light working.

My plans are as follows:-

1) Remove screws from the instrument panel
2) Prise the instrument panel cover off careful freeing the fog and rear heater switches
3) Remove instrument panel
4) Replace defective bulb
5) Try and put everything back

Will I need ot disconnect the battery? Am I likely to get into complications while doing this?

Free spelling upgrade and subject line tweak

Edited by Pugugly on 07/12/2008 at 20:36

1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - oilrag
I would just ignore it Rattle. ;)

Why don`t you test the pressure switch in situ first - if you must check it out. Connect the two wires to the pressure switch together bypassing the switch and see if the dash light comes on.
Regards

Edited by oilrag on 07/12/2008 at 15:23

1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - Rattle
Thanks where is the switch located? Is it accessible from the tip or do I need to jack it up? Also by saying to ignore it sounds like you speak from experience, e.g a 2 spanner haynes job turning out to be a 5 spanner one!

Edited by Rattle on 07/12/2008 at 15:31

1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - jc2
Switch is on back face of engine next to oil pump;pump can be changed in minutes anyway-it's external.Switch is half-spanner.

Edited by jc2 on 07/12/2008 at 16:23

Thanks so the idea of shorting the wires to check for switch function? If the light comes on when I short then it just needs a new switch i.e much easier job then replacing bulb? I suppose also I can check the preasure light from the switch if the bulb is at fault by a multimeter?

Where abouts am I looking at? I assume its located near the dipstick?

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P103...g

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/12/2008 at 19:28

" If the light comes on when I short then it just needs a new switch"

Don`t short anything to earth! just connect the two wires together and bypass the switch in the circuit

I`m not familiar with the fiesta engine Rattle. But it will just be a pressure switch screwed into an oil gallery - obviously upstream of the oil pump.

I was thinking that given the cost of the car - is it worth looking for trouble? as long as the sump is kept full and with your low mileage you should be OK. Your first sign of low oil pressure (due to wear) would likely be a rattle from the big ends at start up - but if its quiet...
If you read some of my posts you will know how keen I am on DIY and so on.. but holding the cost of some of the jobs on your car against its likely life If it were mine I might do it differently.

I would be banking all these little £10 jobs against the cost of the replacement if it failed the next MOT.
Having said that, I think you are doing great on some of these jobs and iDIY experience will save you lots of cash in the future, I`m sure ;)

Edited by oilrag on 07/12/2008 at 16:28

"Where abouts am I looking at? I assume its located near the dipstick?"

Wish i could remember, its twenty years since I had a version of that engine!
Have a look low down on the block, well below the level of the sparkplugs
Sorry Jc2 missed your reply ;)
1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - jc2
No problem-it's one of the simplest engines to work on!!
I will see if I can find it on Tuesday when I will have some time. I found my old HCS a doddle to work on for things like this, I fixed the temperature sender etc, but this one (Endura) everything is a lot more hidden due to the OTP injection system, I miss the old single point injection system with an air filter which can be changed in seconds.

I like doing these little jobs :) but I just hate the way everything turns out more complicated than it should.

1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - mfarrow
Don`t short anything to earth!

That's what you have to do on this engine - there is only one wire.

Just above oil pump IIRC.
Whoops! Sorry all.. I have to stop relying on memory...
1996 1.3 Changing oil preasure bulb help before I - elekie&a/c doctor
Access to the oil pressure switch is surprisingly awkward on this basic engine.it is located at the rear of the engine situated between the starter motor and the ignition coil pack.There is not enough room to get a spanner on it so it needs a socket.also advise disconnecting the battery as the main power cable runs very close.hth
That will be why I haven't spotted it yet then :( Indeed I don't even know where the coil pack is! My dads Zetec 1.6 seemed a lot more simple in this regard as you could see all the sensors and the coil pack etc, on my engine everything is hidden :(

From the replies on this thread I am going to leave well alone and just get worried if I notice any unusual noise from the engine, I know its too late by then but as said before on my low milleage I can probably get rid well before the engine dies as a result. My dad managed to get about 4000 miles out of my last Fiesta which had all sorts of oil preasure problems.
"My dad managed to get about 4000 miles out of my last Fiesta which had all sorts of oil preasure problems."

Exactly. Why look into it and cause possible unnecessary worry?
Sometimes people sabotage the bulb/circuit when selling on if there`s low oil pressure and sometimes connect the oil light bulb to the ignition circuit so its on, but goes out on start up, but is not related to oil pressure.

Whether the latter is still possible on modern cars, I don`t know..

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2008 at 07:59

96 1.3 Help before I try to change oil press light - L'escargot
......... symptons .........

Free spelling upgrade ...........

;-)
96 1.3 Help before I try to change oil press light - oilrag
I needc a bigger keyboard really - or smaller fingers
;)
But Rattle is impressive - he`s typing on his phone I believe at times

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2008 at 09:44