New long term car - frenchian
I've just returned from living in France where I've been running an Opel Omega 2.5 diesel for the last 8 years - it's been stunningly reliable - over 300k km with only oil and filters (lots of them).
I'm going to be doing something like 600 miles/week so will need something comfortable yet relatively economical. I will be doing my own servicing and would really prefer a camchain engine (or something where the belt is as easy and quick to change as my Transit!).
I intend to buy something that I will run for up to 10 years - so reliability/corrosion issues are of real interest to me.
My budget is open - but really don't want to spend too much more than £5k.

Any suggestions please?!

Thanks
New long term car - Alby Back
Well, if you like VX/Opel, you can get a very good Vectra/Signum for your budget. Default alternatives feature the usual suspects, Mondeos, Passats, Accords, Octavias even Superbs if you like big saloons. Is there any need to scrap the Omega yet ? Might be fun to see how far it'll go !
I was thinking of importing the Omegas (I bought a second one before deciding to move back to UK!), but with the new tax regime I'd be paying through the nose for them. The high miler (now at over 330k) actually has the better engine but is starting to rust around the rear wheel arch.
Big cars are definitely my thing - is the Superb any good?
New long term car - gordonbennet
What a pity that the Omega was discontinued only to be sort of replaced sizewise by the Vectra and similarly Ford Scorpio replaced by Mondeo, unfortunately neither of these could compare with the comfort or easy drive of the proper saloons they replaced.

I've got a feeling Frenchian that you won't be at all happy in a FWD car, and you certainly won't enjoy changing the cambelt on any of the VAG cars either.

My suggestion would be get a E39 5 series diesel BMW, you've been running their engine for long enough anyway to know just how good it is, i'm assuming that the Opel version ran the 525 diesel as well as the Vauxhall.

I would have said MB, but as you intend to keep the car 10 years (thinking W210 here) its possible you may only be driving the engine and box, the body having flaked progressively away..;)
Mmm........ big diesel saloon, RWD.

There are some nice looking Jag S types on Autotrader starting at around £5.5k........
New long term car - the swiss tony
Mmm........ big diesel saloon RWD.
There are some nice looking Jag S types on Autotrader starting at around £5.5k........

Humph... read the OP's post.... ''I intend to buy something that I will run for up to 10 years - so reliability/corrosion issues are of real interest to me.
My budget is open - but really don't want to spend too much more than £5k.''

Jag Reliable?

and GB...W210 naw... as you said corrosion, most MB dealers have a broom supplied as a special tool... to clear the workshop bays of rust, after a service! ;-p
Yeah but, no but, yeah, but y'know I mean, a Jag......Oh, OK then......s'pose.......you might be right....

;-)
New long term car - ifithelps
I'm with Humph - why the assumption a Jag is unreliable?

There are one or two owners on here who would give you an argument.

What is the Jag's diesel engine like? Is it their own? (I doubt)
What are the general reliability issues with Jags? If it's possible to either fix them or live with them (ie rattles etc), then maybe I could be tempted - if they're the type where the car stops in the middle of nowhere, then forget it!

Thanks for all your ideas - they are confirming what I already thought - particularly re MBs rusting problem.
New long term car - jbif
What are the general reliability issues with Jags?

A useful tool to check on the kind of problems a particular make/model is having is to go to
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=4
and use the excellent drop down filter menu to narrow down your car of interest.

Edited by jbif on 07/12/2008 at 16:40

To come back to GM. I bought a second hand Signum in the summer. Actually a very nice drive especially with the 2.2 petrol engine. It seems to do about 36-38 mpg depending on what type of journey it has completed. At any rate I calculate the fuel cost per mile as 11p on a good day and 12p on a bad one. Lovely smooth engine that 2.2 and it's a chain cam. Early versions of that engine had issues with lubrication to the chain but they were all sorted by the time the Signum was launched.

They were cheap enough six months ago but now they are serious bargains. Well equipped and spacious. Admittedly you have to have FWD but it is nicely contained and a pleasing enough car. You could probably get a fairly good one for your budget and they are cheap enough to maintain/insure and so on.
New long term car - 659FBE
A Superb (Mk I) is a bargain second hand.

As a long termer, the 4 Cyl PD engines properly maintained have a proven track record (avoid the 2 litre Euro Cat IV versions) and the bodywork is fully galvanised.

It's not a car which invites driver involvement but as a motorway mile-eater (high geared with cruise) and for my special job as a tow car, it's hard to beat. The 5 speed manual 130 PS diesel is the best of the bunch and MY '05> have folding rear seats - pretty essential for most jobs.

Even before the present recession, mine was a bargain as a 2 year old - with present trading conditions, a new model out and rubbish credibility in its size class, it's a steal.

Other than a lazy seat belt return spring (fixed under warranty but showing signs of a repeat act) mine has had zero faults in the 2.5 years I've had it. The performance to economy ratio of the 130 PS AWX diesel is hard to match anywhere.

Edited by 659FBE on 07/12/2008 at 17:06