Looking after a black car - Mondaywoe
I bought a new Citroen C5 a few months ago. It's black (non-metallic) When it's clean and polished it's really nice and a bit unusual (you don't see many black C5s around!) - but when it's anything less than clean...........!!!

Needless to say it spurs me on a bit to use a bit of regular elbow grease but it's hard work!

I was just wondering if anyone with a black car can recommend a good shampoo and polish (I'm using Autoglym resin at the moment - Ok but nothing special in terms of shine or lasting protection.)

Years ago I used Simoniz 'Liquid Diamond' silicone sealant on a Renault. I seem to remember it did a good job, but haven't seen it for ages.

Also - any good ideas for getting dead flies off the bonnet?

Cheers

Graeme.

Looking after a black car - smokie
I have a sponge for removing dead flies from windscreen which I also use gently on my bodywork for the same purpose. It's covered with a sort of net which provides a gentle abrasion (so I make sure I don't press too hard when on paintwork).

I use AutoGlym resin and then their Gloss Protection sealant.
Looking after a black car - svpworld
I've got a black but metallic omega. Your right in that they look great when clean, but its a pig of a job maintaining it.
First thing to do when I bought mine after washing it with high gloss shampoo (turtle) was to wax it (proper wax, hard work!). I then wash-waxed it every few days for a few weeks, repeated the proper wax and then applied a resin/polymer sealant (mine was bought in a local cheap "hypervalue" store for £1 !!! Its an american brand but works very well). I applied that copiously, polished it lightly but noticed it didnt polish so easily so I then wash-waxed it (standard turtle wax and shampoo). Now looks superb and only needs a rinse with cold water every so often to keep its shine.
I recommend waxing your car with a proper "solid" tin wax at least twice a year and washing it with a wax & shampoo combined using sponge and bucket, warm water and rinsing off with cold water and chamois (say once a week). Windows I just chamois dry.
I've tried the other autoglym products and despite costing a fortune, i dont think they offer any advantage other than the vinyl trim cleaner which is excellent.
For the tyres and trim, I use the 'wonder wheels' dressing trim and tyre liquid, absolutely superb and a bottle lasts years! The spray cans are a complete waste of money though.

Simon
I've got a non-metallic blac Audi A4. I wash and dry as per svpworld's advice about once a fortnight, and polish it about 3 times a year with Autoglym Extra Gloss. Use Autolym alloy cleaner every 3rd or 4th wash.

My main gripe about black is the softness of the paint - apparently black pain is softer than other colours and is therefore more suscetible to scratches, etc.

However, as you know, black looks great when clean and shiny. My A4 certainly looks good in black (I was too mean to pay extra for metallic paint, though I may stump up the extra wonga next time!.

Incidentally, does anybody else find the extra cost of metallic paint a bit outrageous - can be £500. How much does it cost the manufacturer over and above the cost of solid colours which are built intop the priceof the car?

Regards

Pat
I can understand why metallic is more expensive because there is an extra layer of lacquer after painting. Solid colours do not get a lacquer coat, so I suppose the cost is in the extra coat.

S.

I was told by a senior manager at a certain ex-BMW owned car company that the extra cost to the factory of metallic paint over a solid one was about nine quid on a medium size vehicle! Just makes you think. That is why it seems an upgrade to metallic paint is always the first thing offered as a "sweetener" when negotiating for a new car.
Additional cost of metallic paint - Pat L
Tim

Just as I suspected! Mind you, I've just bought a used 318i Touring in dark metallic green and it looks the dog's wotsits, and is easy to clean/polish!

Pat
Looking after a black car - Ross D
Hello

I have just bought a one year old black punto. When i recieved the car it was lovely and shiny and also greasy to the touch.

I washed it this weekend and all the greasy wax seems to have washed off.(any one know what this stuff is?) I suspect it was there to mask the fact that the previous owner had taken the car through the car wash.(Kiss of death to any black paintwork in my opinion!)

My question is... Which is the best polish/cleaning product to mask the scratches left by the car wash. Should I use a colour polish (light stone chipping on bonet) and then seal it with a wax from a tin? Whats the best sort of wax to use? I usually use Halfords own brand 'showroom shine polish'.

Would getting the car diamnond brighted remove/make less visible the swirl/brush marks?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ross
Looking after a black car - Pat L
svp

That's a lot of money for a coat of lacquer! Why can some makers charge £250 and others £500 or more?
True its a lot, but then perhaps some manufacturers apply a couple of coats, also there's the baking and drying between coats which I suppose means it takes longer to paint a metallic car than a solid colour. Also I guess metallic paint itself costs more than solid colours and has to be sprayed carefully and mixed well.. dont know, just thoughts........

S.

svp

You're right of course, but the cost of metallic paint just irks me! And the choice of non-metallic colours is limited - when I bought the A4 (Sept 2000)there was a choice of only 4 solid colours. It's almost as if they're tring to force you into paying extra for metallic!

I do think metallic paint is easier to look after, and it probably protects the metal better. I've had a couple of metallic vauxhalls in the past and the metallic paint was definitely better than the solid paint. I had a solid brown (lovely!) mk2 Cavalier which I had to T-Cut when only 2 years old! And a piece of paint was blown off the front spoiler when using a jet was! Terrible quality. I now only buy German cars!

What puts me off metallic paint, though, is the problem of matching paint if repairs are needed. You some pretty grim examples around.

Well off thread now .....

Regards

Pat
I haven't resorted to black polish on my C5 yet, but previous car (met blue Xantia) always looked better with a good dose of colour polish. It's messy stuff to put on, but does hide the chips and scratches - for a while!

Graeme
Looking after a black car - Daedalus
Off topic I know but from many of the posts on here and elsewhere about C5's the last thing you will be bothered about is getting dead flys off the bonnet.

Bill
Well, I'm very well aware of all the hoohah about C5s - but it's important to get some sense of proportion. My one has done about 4500 miles. On delivery, it was perfect, apart from a rattly back seat. That was fixed by the dealer in 5 minutes flat at the first service. The back suspension is a bit hard on poor surfaces - but it goes in to the dealership for an upgrade kit on Friday. Even that is not really a 'fault' so much as an observation from previous Citroen owners who know a comfy ride when they feel one!

So,yes, I'm afraid the biggest problem at the moment IS flies on the bonnet!

Ever the optimist....!

Graeme
Looking after a black car - Ben79
If you want you can swap your C5 for my silver Xsara, no faults and nearly 3 yr old. I'd love a C5 (any colour, preferably wicked red).

For more info, see the C5 pages at groups.yahoo.com/group/C5-L/ , read the messages and then look at the polls, you will see that most C5 owners are more than happy with their cars.

Ben
A kind thought, Bennyboy! ...but I've made my bed and will have to lie on it.I wouldn't want anyone to suffer those flies.......
(Ho,ho,ho!)

Graeme
Looking after a black car - Ben79
What is wrong with your car? What model is it? There is rumoured to be a suspension fix available to soften the rear suspension down on the H3+ models, also some noise deadening kits. I haven't read enough wrong to stop me considering a C5, although I would have to borrow one from a friendly garage for a day prior to buying just to be sure.

Ben
Before this thread gets "off topic", does anyone know of an easy way of removing wax from plastic trim? The one thing that always puts me off waxing my car with tin wax is that its a nightmare removing it from the edges of plastic trim when its get on there, and it does despite trying to avoid it!

Simon

I haven't tried this on my new car yet, but on my previous Xantia I used to clean up the black plastic bits with WD40 - worked a treat!

Graeme
The only problem with my C5 is the hard suspension and I'm having the kit fitted on Friday. Mine's a 2.2 HDI Exclusive (manual). The 2.2 engine is a cracker!

Owners of (some)automatics have had problems with jerky changes. There are software upgrades for this but apparently not always successful.

Owners report various other teething problems - a pipe in the aircon gurgles a bit sometimes - again an upgrade available. Height adjustment on seats can slowly go down (because owners with big bums sit on the handle as they get in!)Admittedly, there are a few owners spitting fire because they have had lemons (allegedly) but a lot seems to stem from either poor understanding of the cars (they are complex machines) or else poor Citroen dealers.

I reckon I've got a reasonable car and a good dealer to back it up so I'm pretty happy.

If you're keen on one have a good long drive - especially over all types of surface. Read the C5 owners forum at yahoogroups. The discounts on Citroens are very good just now so you can buy a very sophisticated car for relatively silly money.

Graeme

(Apologies for wandering off topic!)

Looking after a black car - Emerson Fittipaldi
Guys getting back on track to the posted thread, I own a black Laguna. When I bought it, it had been subjected to (what it looked like) a short life of being shoved through a car wash. This is what I did to get her back to nearly showroom cond. 1. I chose a dull, dry day and T-cut the whole car (with car plans Metallic T-cut) 2. Polished the whole car with black colour magic from Turtle Wax. 3 . Repeated this a couple of times after washing, and when I had my desired effect. I now use the Meguiar's car car polish's. This stuff is amazing, but you can only order it on-line at www.meguiars.co.uk. I did try the Turtle wax extreme car wash, but it was a bad mistake as it dried to quickly, leaving pit marks on the surface. I use just a 'off the shelf' Turtle wax car wash, which seems to do the trick. The non-scratch sponges can be bought at Halfords, very good for black cars I may add. I have tried Autoglm and others like Mur in the past, but these just give short term effects, and your polishing it again 2 weeks later. Hope this helps.