Search for small car - Roger Jones
OK, my partner's offer for the Rover 220 TDi was withdrawn the minute she discovered that it appears to have been clocked, from a report of 104k in October 99 against 80k on the clock now.

So, she's in search mode again. Her main habit is to drive less than a mile to work -- I know, I know, but she won't listen. Anyway, to what vehicle would she do least damage, given that primary characteristic of its use? She likes both performance and economy, of course, and she's comfortable only in something in the super-mini bracket (a Golf is too large). Oh, yes, it needs to accommodate a set of golf clubs easily. She'll be after something 3--5 years old on a budget of c. 5k, I guess.

All suggestions welcome.
Re: Search for small car - Andrew Bairsto
Why not have a Morris Minor.But for one mile I buy here a bike or a set of walking shoes or even a bus pass how the british are lazy.
Re: Search for small car - John Slaughter
Andrew

No, not a Minor - far to valuable, and all that b*****ing around with the choke!

Cheers

John
They need the choke to hang their handbag on
Re: Search for small car - John Slaughter
You can't beat a good old joke can you Andrew!
Re: Search for small car - Stuart Bruce
Mrs B has almost the same usage to school though its only marginally better, 6 miles round trip or 2 buses each way & 50 minutes vs 10 mins max.

Fortunately she agrees there is no need for a 4x4 to deal with the Ribena slick on the school driveway, but the usage pattern would ideally fit an electric car, if they were not so flaming expensive. Even IKEA is within range of one of those which is the other benchmark test. Got to be careful she might read this!

So we use bangernomics, simple to maintain, low/no depreciation and no catalyst. But when She who etc decides on an upgrade I will have essentially the same problem.
Re: Search for small car - Roger Jones
I did say she won't listen! I have coaxed, cajoled, persuaded, protested, suggested, hinted . . . all to no avail. And I know I am not alone (re. off-list exchanges).

Seriously, folks, is diesel the answer?
Re: Search for small car - matt
I see no reason why diesel will not be a good option. It should give a lower fuel consumption than a petrol doing the same run. I would imagine that the most important thing would be to get a suitably sticky oil to make sure the engine has the best protection for those regular cold starts and short runs. Maybe Castrol magnatic or somehting similar. Also a good run out on an A road or motorway every couple of weeks woudl no doubt help. I know my diesel protests at 10 mile round trip runs by filling with soot only removed by longer runs and higher speeds.
Re: Search for small car:NOT DIESEL - graeme clark
Take a look at the Padamini...yes the Padamini a Indian built fiat 500 circa 1950ish rear doors open the wrong way.This vehicle can attain speeds in excess of 50 mph..is fitted with an A/C ( drops to 35 when the A/C kicks in) and can be purchased for DHS18,000.00 =£3200.00....BEAT THAT......Yes you can.. buy a Enfield.350cc motor cycle ( royal enfield ) DHS 8500.00..£1517.00...

OLD FART...
Re: Search for small car:NOT DIESEL - Dave
graeme clark wrote:
>
buy a Enfield.350cc motor cycle ( royal enfield
DHS 8500.00..£1517.00...

Is that all they are???

I want one!
Re: Search for small car:NOT DIESEL - GRAEME CLARK
YES.....

Or you could go for the 500cc but thats much more expensive £2000.00+

Graeme Clark
Re: Search for small car:NOT DIESEL - Gwyn Parry
Or fit a Robin diesel engine and run a diesel Enfield........150mpg (but rattley though - rode one once) made the CBR feel like a magic carpet after...
remember stopping for fuel at a rather flash site......Button pusher came flying out of shop shouting NO ! NO ! NO! NO! THAT'S DIESEL ! laughed me helmet off !
Re: Search for small car:NOT DIESEL - honest john
I bet that the diesel slick around the DERV pump was the only place that Enfield ever achieved wheelspin.

HJ
Re: Search for small car - Stuart Bruce
Sorry Roger, seems we have taken going off @ tangents to heart!

I have sympathies. My thought process re our almost identical problem is that petrol is totally out because of the catalyst problem plus sticking valves on some short mileage motors. Though I could take the car for a bi-weekly blast which just about keeps things clear at the moment.

Which leaves a small atmo diesel, I say atmo because I am not sure what all the stop/starts will do to the turbo bearings. If turbos could stand this then that would also solve the performance part of your equation.

Of all the candidates I have looked at, 106/AX/Saxo, Clio, Corsa it will probably be the latter, though I am fed up of looking at motors which turn out to be Ex Driving school cars.

I too would appreciate if anyone else has other ideas, apart from shank's pony!
The smallest engined Toyota corolla as new as possible .They came the top in Germany as the most reliable car you can buy Puntos were bottom and Corsas not far away.
A colleage has just come into the office her brand new (just collected)Mercedes C class diesel has just broken down on the autobahn it has thrown 60 litres of fuel onto the road.Some pre delivery check
Re: Search for small car - honest john
Poor motorcyclists. Did the oil slick kill any of them? Seriously, 60 litres of diesel is a real killer.

HJ
Re: Search for small car - Gwyn Parry
How about a motorbike..............ideal an air cooled 250cc twin....electric boot, cheap insurance and bloody good larf,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Search for small car - Roger Phillips
Use a taxi. Put your money on deposit and just the interest will pay for part of the costs of hiring a taxi. Better still, buy a 10 year annuity with your cash and it will pay for your next 10 years of taxi fares. The reasoning is as follows:

Much cheaper to take a taxi for every trip, even to IKEA. Neglecting cost of fuel but just look at the other fixed costs: the cost of MOT, Tax, Insurance, plus maintenace alone will be more than taxi fares for the 45 x 5 = 225 trips or so to work anyone makes in a year. (45 weeks, as you allow for 4 weeks holiday plus 10days bank hols plus 1 week other absences say).

225 trips x 2 miles return trip = 450 miles a year!
Re: Search for small car - Brian
My wife uses a 100 cc scooter for a 3 mile each way trip, but for a mile a 50cc which she would be able to drive on her car licence would be more than ample for your needs.
Re: Search for small car - Roger Jones
Believe me, my needs they ain't.

But thanks to everyone for contributing.
Re: Search for small car - mark
Pug 106 Deisel
Re: Search for small car - Diesel Dave
See about a Citroen AX with 1.5 Diesel engine should be availible for less than 2 grand
Re: Search for small car - Greg Hill
Roger Phillips is right. Add depreciation as well. Think what the environmentalists would have to say if they heard of your case. No wonder people are becoming obese. Walking will save on gymnasium fees too. You say the wife wants a car with a bit of "performance" to drive ONE mile a day?
0-60 mph in 8 seconds, top 120 mph, 150 bhp, etc. and 1 mile in how many minutes? She needs her head examined.