04 1.2 Could a failing battery cause clutch judder - Halmer
I replaced the ailing battery on my wife's Punto today and the slight clutch judder that has been apparent seems to have gone.

Am I imagining this?
04 1.2 Could a failing battery cause clutch judder - Screwloose

I can't see any immediate connexion between clutch judder and a new battery, unless the cable or the engine mounts were involved in some way?
My imagination SL probably.
04 1.2 Could a failing battery cause clutch judder - Javalin
saying that though... Recently had a battery go (completely) with our Renault Master van. With the new battery it does'nt shudder when you lift of the clutch as much as it did before - the battery had obviously been dying for a while. So I wonder whether the higher load on the alternator (cause the battery was dying) causes the engine to have to adjust more when it comes back to idle? Its a diesel so not 100% sure.

Just a thought.

James

Edited by Javalin on 21/11/2008 at 09:27

04 1.2 Could a failing battery cause clutch judder - oilrag
Halmer,
Because its a drier atmosphere at the moment - perhaps. Both our Mk2 & 2b Puntos have a slight judder - on first start -if left a few days in damp rainy conditions. I think a lot of modern clutches are like this.
Yes oilrag it is definitely worse when it is damp and first setting off.

It gets better when it has been driven a bit.
Normal then ;)

How is the rest of the car Halmer, how long have you had it?

Ours are giving great service.
It was a pre registered main dealer one with 11 miles on the clock oilrag and my wife paid £6k for it in early 2004. In the scheme of things it has been a sound investment and has clocked 38k now so that's reasonable private motoring cost to me given it's worth now (£2 - £2.5k?).

It had to have a new clutch fitted under warranty (ironically) in it's first year due to juddering. I gather that there were a faulty batch fitted. I have had a VW Passat from new and as much as I loved the car it was no less faulty (neither had many) than the Punto. The main dealer also had to update the Punto software as it was over-revving on gear change (something to do with meeting emissions standards) and we had to wait 3 months for the CD to arrive.

Apart from that it's been excellent. One of suspension bushes at the back squeaks now and then and I have to put some bush grease on it.

No doubt it will fall apart now I've opened my mouth.

I parked it on a main road earlier in the week and left the side lights on for 3 hours. When I cam back the lights were on but the battery was not strong enough to turn the engine. RAC diagnosed that the battery was OK but on its way out. Hence this thread and my one here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=69...6 .

My wife would have another new one if they still made them as the Grande Punto is too big for her. She loves the Mk 2's nippiness and City Button! I'm 6'4" and can drive it fine for miles even with my recent spine surgery.

I expect that it will start to impact on the wallet soon though.
" the Grande Punto is too big for her."

Same here ;)

I fitted new drivers door check straps (£13 +vat) due to the clicking and on the 50,000 1.9 D, the drivers door upper hinge pin came loose. I thought it was wear -(worth a look perhaps to see if it moves) but not so. fitted a new bolt and used thread lock just to be sure. This car gets a real hammering as my wife works as Home Care - and yet it runs like new in its 7nth year.
She`s had it from new and thinks it would be a disaster to put another new car into that sort of use - so intends to keep it to the end.

Edited by oilrag on 21/11/2008 at 11:17

When I sold my Passat 12 months ago I paid £300 for a R reg Punto 1.2 to get me about for a couple of months whilst my new car was on order. It had obviously been clocked and both doors had faulty hinges to the point that they touched the front wings when you opened them but it ran fine and had been serviced etc.

In November 2007 I gave it to my nephew and it has been stuck in his drive apart from the odd little run as he has not passed his test yet.

His mum took it for MOT last week and it passed without a penny being spent on it which left me totally gobsmacked.
"point that they touched the front wings"

New check straps required? if you mean the door folds right back Halmer...? . Its a 10 minute job if he extracts the old ones from the door interior via the door speaker housing.
Often the actual door hinges are thought to be worn (as above) but are just in need of the nut tightening on the bottom of the hinge - evident most with upper hinge on drivers door. Also sometimes if the door has gone open violently in a wind and snapped the check strap - a weld is needed behind the upper hinge as the metal can split.

I guess given the price of the car, he could pick used check straps (they call them `door tie rods` these days- to my amusement ;) for next to nothing at a breakers. Likely they would `click` though in operation. Better than risk the door smashing out of true in a wind though and not being able to close it.

Edited by oilrag on 21/11/2008 at 12:57

Yes your description of the issue is spot on oilrag thanks.