Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - JohnnyBoy
Have been offered the following:
1995 BMW 520i SE -manual, grey met, all electric, front armrests, alloys, full mot, only £3750.
Price: £3,750
Advert didn't list the mileage so I spoke to the dealer...car has 138k on it, but has had a recent engine refit with an engine that had done 42k from a car that was written off due to a back end smash. The dealer will only offer a warranty if I buy a warranty at £200.
Am I wrong to be put off by the fact that he won't guarantee the engine without me paying for it? Also, the odometer reads 138k, so if I keep the car for 5 years it would be nearer 190k when I sell it, making it virtually unsellable.
I'd appreciate any advice - but won't hold anyone responsible if they encourage me to buy it!!
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - volvoman
Sorry but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - it has all the hallmarks of a prospective money-pit. A dealer you can trust ? ermm, I don't think so.
I've never met him but my gut feeling is to avoid this car. An engine re-fit at a BMW main dealer would be a different matter.
He was very evasive when I asked would he stand over the engine for a year - £200 for a one year warranty also sounds v.expensive to me.
Thanks for your advice.
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - smokie
I'm with Volvoman on this one.

However if you decide to go ahead, check the engine warranty VERY CAREFULLY.

I bought a Rover 827 some years back and paid an additional sum (c £400 springs to mind) for 1 year warranty. However, when I finally got the documentation through, it only covered very specific components, and then only if they had failed in a very specific way, and only if I had had certain (unnecessary, in my view) service activities done at specific intervals. Also had the usual "deduction for wear and tear" clause. The cover was also capped (£1000 per incident, max 3 incidents, IIRC).

Another lesson learnt...
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - svpworld
Might be worth looking at what the warranty would cover but I also agree with the rest of the team here, leave it alone! Gut feeling would say that its still the original engine, as BMW engines would easily get to this mileage if properly serviced (unless he can otherwise prove to you that the engine has been changed). As nice as they seem, there are trolleys full of high mileage second hand beemers for sale at silly low prices. I know of several friends who bought such cars and within months had enormous repair bills on their hands and ended up getting rid of them. Unless its got a proper service history and documentation, I would look elsewhere.
I was very tempted some years ago by a 7 series on a forecourt, only 5 yrs old, automatic, fully loaded, leather etc.. Looked wonderful and price was extremely tempting until I saw the clock, 210,000 miles and very patchy service history (it took a lot of will power to forget it but I dont regret it)

I think you should trust your gut feeling about this car and the dealer. £200 on a warranty from a guy like that is just another £200 added to the money destined for the pit. My brother bought a Porsche 911 from a dealer (£20k) with a 'warranty'. When he had a problem with the car it should have been covered by the warranty but the dealer refused to honour it. The warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and my brother had to swallow a bill for £1100 !
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - svpworld
Maybe this warrants a new thread (pun intended) on people's experiences with warranties. When I bought my omega from a very respected local forecourt of who I also bought my previous and very pleased with cavalier (also a fleet model), the dealer was more than happy to give me a full years parts and labour warranty for no extra charge on the car. I've read very carefully through the warranty and its seems to be ok, though I believe any single claim is limited to ~ £1000-£1500. Of course I guess he could easily accomodate the warranty cost and my part ex into the price of the purchased car, but even so it inspires more confidence in the customer. They would also not allow me to drive the car away (despite me being very eager to want to do so!) immediately (after of course buying it!) until they had fully serviced it, given it a new oil and filter change and Mot'd it for a year.

Incidentally there is a local dealer here in Wales who offers a free lifetime warranty, parts and labour on almost any car they sell, as long as you own the car. What do you all make of this?

Simon

Good idea about the new thread on warranty experiences I'll start one.
As regards the 'lifetime' warranty - I bet the list of terms/conditions/exclusions is as long as the M4 !
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - PB
I agree with the other advice, you could get a better car for less. Additionally, if you plan to keep the car for 5 years (which in my experience means you will sell it after 2!) I would definitely go for a better spec - which will also help you sell it. In other words a 525 with a/c, preferably auto, leather if you can.

By the way, how many pre-96 520 engines do you reckon only have 42k on them? And how convenient it's a back end smash.
Good luck.
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - blank
My two penn'orth!

These are very common cars, so if you want one, spend the time looking around to find a top quality example and don't risk your money on one which is even slightly dodgy in any way at all.

I speak from bitter experience!

You may not need this advice, but spend a couple of hours tediously looking over every fine detail of the car, make a list of any faults. Then go away with the list and consider at leisure whether the car looks a good buy.

Good luck!
Andy
Thanks lads.
I'm in no real rush to buy as my Mondeo is motoring well...but you know how it is when you start looking around!
I'll skip this one and wait for something really good to come up.

I also need to check prices a bit more to calculate whether I'd be better buying a 525td or pay less for a 520 petrol - unless someone out there knows the answer? I do 9k per year.
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - The Watcher
If you have to buy a warranty at £200, the dealer isnt 'giving' a warranty.

You only have his word the donor engine came from a rear ended car.

My understanding was any car over £2k had by law to have at least a 3 month (12 month?) warranty?

Stay well away is my advice.
Advice requested - BMW to avoid?? - Cyd
I'd be tempted to do my civic duty here. Namely, go back and pretend to be really interested in the car, but demand to see evidence of the replacement engines origins and mileage. If I still smell a rat, I would get on to local Trading Standards. This car sounds dodgy and if it is then the perp shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

In all other respects I'd avoid this car like the plague.