Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - teddybear
We have to replace my wifes 12 Year old Trusty Toyota Starlet as someone has reversed into the back and it has cuased £750 worth of damage. Buckled boot floor and damaged bumper. Even a local backstreet body shop wanted almost that much. It has done 80K and we owned for 9 years.It has never let us down at all and only ever cost us a service breaks and Tyres. Exahust/clutch etc all as new. What a car!

Trouble is want something equally as reliable

Now we have to replace any thoughts on the Honda Jazz or the Toyota Corolla.

Looking to spend from 4-5K Max.
Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - Pendlebury
I am going to resist the temptation to say Yaris which would be the most obvious replacement for me, but I would consider a Corolla.
The 2 cars you are looking at will both be very reliable but I suspect the Jazz will be more expensive to maintain.
I think going for a car one size up from the starlet/yaris would provide a bit more comfort.
We have a Corolla and have been more pleased the older it gets - although I think I might be replacing a wheel bearing this week - but then the wife treats speed humps like painted marks on the road and does not slow down.
I hope this helps and let us know what you do.
Yaris a bit small. The starlet was bought when only 2 of us. We now have a 3 year old and no doubt will be another one along soon so need to go for something a litte bigger. Thanks for the comments. Of to see 2 Jazz's this PM and maybe a corolla tomorrow.
Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - nick1975
i bought a jazz because it does everything a car in the next class up does, but it's still only a supermini, so fits in my small garage.

the later models apparently ride better

SE spec pretty good - air con, sunroof, heated folding mirrors.

i'm getting an indicated 48 mpg in almost entirely urban driving

very pleased with it, one thing to note - it doesn't have Isofix points, probably due to the magic seats.

Edited by nick1975 on 16/11/2008 at 07:52

Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - CheapNcheerfull
I have a 53 plate Jazz and it has isofix, so your will have ? I thought all cars had to have them now ?
Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - Bill Payer
..and the April 03 brochure shows them as standard.

Jazz was changing a little very shortly after original launch in the UK - the suspension was slightly changed and the cassette player was replaced by a CD. Maybe ISOFIX was added at the same time?
Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - woodster
Auto (CVT) Jazz (What's the plural?!) has a known problem if used for repeated short runs. Watch the service schedules - some expensive work about every third service, so perhaps best avoided, despite it's otherwise excellent and deserved reputation. My Father's had 2 - faultless and economical.
Thanks - i stand corrected, mines an 06 so will have another look
yep there they are!

does anyone use the maxi cosi easy fix base in the jazz

their website neither confirms nor denies if it works

Edited by nick1975 on 16/11/2008 at 18:12

does anyone use the maxi cosi easy fix base in the jazz

I'm sure I've seen comments elsewhere saying it doesn't fit.
Quick Google found this - no idea if this is same as what you're looking at, things have moved on since my kids were small!

"Unfortunately despite owning a car with an 'Iso-fix' system namely a Honda Jazz, the Maxi-Cosi 'Iso-fix base' would not fit the car."
www.dooyoo.co.uk/child-car-seat/maxi-cosi-cabriofi.../
exactly the same.

thanks very much Bill Payer, that has been very helpful.

Edited by nick1975 on 16/11/2008 at 19:50

I'd be intigued to know why it doesn't fit - I thought that was the whole point of ISOFIX?
Seen a 2002 with 40K on the clock. One lady owner and full Honda Service History of 6 stamps. Really good condition. Small garage with about 20 other cars wants £3,999. Not sure if that too much or not. I must admit really A1 condition. Compare that a 2002 with 60 K on the the clock in another garage that want the same money and it was in awful condition. Cracked tailgate by lock. Scrathed wheel, dented bonnet need i say more. They had it 3 months and imagine it will be their in another at that price.

Regarding child seats we found not a lot of isofix seats fit perfectly so stuck with a standard Maxi Cosi in my car a C5 and currently have a Chico one in the starlet. Will check if it fits in the Jazz though.

I must admit the Jazz will go to our local Indie for Servicing so should not be too bad.
Seen a 2002 with 40K on the clock.

That must be one of the first, with a cassette player rather than a CD. The early ones had even more bouncy suspension that the 2003 onwards versions, although there isn't a lot of difference.

One thing to check for is water in the spare wheel well - there are reports of the seals between the roof and the C posts letting water in.

The only tricky servicing is that checking valve clearances and changing the plugs is a bit awkward (therefore time consuming and costly) but they only need doing every 25000 miles. "Official" Honda scheduled servicing is quite expensive but the dealers will usually service older cars a lot cheaper.
Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla to replace a Starlet - daveyjp
ISOFIX is a standard for the fixings only, not for car design and each seat needs to be tested on every car to get a compliance certificate.

We struggled to find one which fitted the Aygo and the A3 - we sacked the idea in the end.