309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - dave18
Booked 309 in for full service Premier Plus or whatevr which involves fuel filetr and gearbox oil
Its a 1993 model which has a sealed gearbox
So when they suggest gearbox oil change are they after more money; should I refuse the gearbox oil change? Or will they actually do it?
Excuse the typing.
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - M.M
Dave,

I still regard it as a worthwhile precaution to change transmission oil, even if it isn't in the schedule for a particular car. Some vehicles did have a 36K interval but I feel comfortable with a "mid-life" change around 75K.

I've just done my '93 Xantia at 100K. I have no idea if it was ever changed before or if it really needed doing. For the cost of 2lit of gear oil (I used semi-syn) why not? What is handy is to see the condition of the drained oil. Mine was clean, free from metallic particles and no sign of water ingress. That's what you want to find and perhaps, on seeing that evidence, you could have confidence that the transmission was in good order and likely to last the life of the car.

I gather in the helicopter industry they draw off oil samples at intervals and test for metallic particles to get early idea of any component within the transmission that may be failing.
David W
Iid like to take the precaution, but the manual says its a 'sealed unit' - does this mean it can't actually be changed? I don't want Halfords telling me they'll change it if they can't. I think they may have got confused with the early 309 in this respect which needs regular changes using basic engine oil not gear oil.
Dave,

You mean the car handbook calls it a sealed gearbox?

The trade service data book for the 1.4TU engined 309 shows this transmission taking 2lit of 75/80 grade oil. I don't actually look after a 309 but all the other Citroen/Peugeots have a way of draining the oil from the transmission and filling again to a level plug.

Have you got a Haynes for your car?

David W
Under routine maintenance in Haynes manual:
'Up to October 1987: multigrade engine oil,
October 1987 on: Gear oil, SAE 75/80
On cars manufactured after October 1987, the manual gearbox is 'sealed for life' and renewing the oil is no longer required.'

I just don't want to pay the £30 if Halfords find they can't change it, therefore don't, but still charge me!
Any idea of the transmission code on your car...MA??

I thought it was broadly the same as the 1.4 ZX transmission, that can be drained and filled.

In fact I can't think of many that are truly "sealed". But who am I to say Haynes are wrong...rather frustrating that I don't actually look after a 309 to give a firm answer.

David W
TU 3 MZ engine
MA gearbox
Thanks for this.
OK the MA series gearbox as fitted to the ZX has a drain on the side of the diff housing, bet yours has too and Halfords will find it .

David W
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - keithb
Make sure they use the correct oil. Peugeot/Citroen specify Total BV 75/80 but Halfords sell their own-brand version of this oil specifically for later Peugeot & Citroen cars.
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - Dizzy {P}
Keith,

I didn't quite understand. Are you suggesting that only Total oil should be used? I bet that any reputable oil of the correct grade will be fine.

It seems that Peugeot/Citroen always specify Total products but there is no doubt in my mind that this is due to a commercial agreement rather than a technical necessity.
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - Mark (RLBS)
Jud,

Save your flippant comments for the Discussion Forum.

If you have anything worthwhile to say here which contributes to the conversation, then feel free to do so.

If not, then do not repost in this thread.

Mark (RLBS)
Moderator at Work

mailto:mark_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - jud
There is nothing flippant about saying changing the gear box oil is a waste of money /time, i have not changed gearbox oil since the days of the mk1 cortina, opinions were asked regarding the necessity of changing the oil
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - jc
Speaking from bitter experience most places won't even check the gearbox oil;they'll just tick the form.As to type of oil, they buy whatever they can buy in large quantities wholesale;if the specification is correct,then you have no redress unless you have signed a service order which actually specifies the type and grade of oil.
OK thanks everyone for your opinions.
Given the gearbox is the later 'sealed' one (where changing the oil isn't actually recommended as necessary by Peugeot,) I don't trust Halfords to do it as part of a full service.
I'll get it changed at a later time at a local garage and spend my money on new leads instead.
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - John S
dave

'Sealed' usually means there is no drain plug, which saves pence per car. It's not uncommon, but it doesn't mean the oil can't be changed. There is usually a way, although it may be by removing a cover plate, or maybe extracting a drive shaft or similar. Any decent garage should be able to sort it. I reckon it's worth doing occasionally.

Regards

John S
309 gearbox oil; are Halfords after ££?? - keithb
Keith,
I didn't quite understand. Are you suggesting that only Total oil
should be used? I bet that any reputable oil of the
correct grade will be fine.
It seems that Peugeot/Citroen always specify Total products but there is
no doubt in my mind that this is due to a
commercial agreement rather than a technical necessity.

Keith,
I didn't quite understand. Are you suggesting that only Total oil
should be used? I bet that any reputable oil of the
correct grade will be fine.
It seems that Peugeot/Citroen always specify Total products but there is
no doubt in my mind that this is due to a
commercial agreement rather than a technical necessity.

Sorry for not being clear, Dizzy. I'm not saying only Total should be used but most oil cos. don't seem to make an oil to the 75/80 BV spec (whatever that is). Even Total garages don't stock it in my area. Halfords do an own-brand version which is presumably OK. The danger is that Halfords would use the usual Hypoy 80 but whether that would have any adverse effects is anyone's guess.

What I do know is that changing the gear oil on an AX I used to own cured severe gearchange problems I was having - at 34000 miles. That car also had a 'sealed for life' gearbox complete with the usual drain & fill/level plugs. Andyspares sell the genuine Total oil for £2.90 + VAT per litre pack. So £7 to DIY compared with Halfords' £30 (assuming they do it correctly or at all).