04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - deepseamark
Hi

I have a Citroen C5 Exclusive with Xenon headlamps. After the lights have been on for a few minutes the nearside lamp will go out for a few seconds then relight. Once this starts it just keeps on going out and coming back on. Has anybody encountered this I don't know if it is a bulb problem or a different problem? Apparently these lighting systems have a ballast which acts like a starter unit in a florescent light not sure what the problem is, a niggling thought is if the bulb lights it must be ok.
Any help gratefully received
Many Thanks in Advance
Mark
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - Screwloose

Mark

The ballasts fail more than the bulbs. As both are silly-money, swap the bulb to the other side and see if the fault moves. [Yes; I know that's a joy...]

NB; these use 10,000 volts to fire and don't reward carelessness. [Unless you look good with "big hair..."]
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - Pugugly
[Unless you look good with "big hair..."]
HoHo Ho
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - Collos25
You need to discharge them before you touch them.
Hi Guys

Many Thanks for your replies, I have a few other questions.

Is there a seperate ballast for each headlamp?
Where are they located?
How do you discharge the bulbs before touching them?

Many Thanks

Mark
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - Collos25
It should tell you in the manual they are normally situated behind the headlamp its the ballast you have to discharge not sure of the exact procedure on Citroens.Look on the C5 forums somebody will know
www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk
www.citroenpicasso.org.uk
Hi Guys

Thanks to all that answered. A new bulb sorted the problem.

Thanks again Mark
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - happytorque
If you dont mind me asking, how much do the bulbs cost please?
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - the swiss tony
best part of one hundred pounds each......
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - happytorque
gulp
The Citroen dealer wanted £102 + VAT, Motorworld was around £60 but they don't keep them in stock they have to order them. Ebay £30 including postage for a pair. Three guesses where I bought mine from. Apparantly there are only two bulbs D2R and D2S so you don't have to pay silly money. The one that I took out was manufactured by Philips the one I fit had no markings on it all but it works fine.
The one that I took out was manufactured by Philips the one I fit had no markings on it all but
it works fine.

Let us know how long it lasts..... They're cheap for a reason.
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - rtj70
£30 for two Xenon HID bulbs.... Hmmm I'm with Screwloose. The life of a HID bulb is meant to be pretty long but that's a discussion for a separate thread.
04 2.0 Xenon Headlamps - Hamsafar
The £30 ones I bought 3 years ago still work fine. Who wants to pay £90 for ones that last 9 years? The bulbs usually get dimmer and dimmer with a sudden drop-off at the end of life, rather than going out and coming back on.

Edited by Hamsafar on 22/11/2008 at 23:22

I totaly agree with you they are cheap for a reason but at £15 per bulb I can buy 8 bulbs for the same price as 1 from the dealer. As the original bulb lasted 4 years and 5 months if this bulb lasts longer than 7 months I'm quids in. It's definitley worth the risk to see.

Yes; I can see your point - not a joy to change though.