Electrical fault 1.4 petrol DOHC - piper
I was travelling at around 40 mph when the car experienced a virtual total electrical failure. At first the breakdown mechanic suspected a battery failure, he connected a battery booster and it no effect. The battery is only about a year old I had no problem starting the car about 5 minutes early. The fault gives the appearance of a flat battery but when you place a drain on the system like turning on the interior light the temperature gauge goes pass the hot mark even though the engine is cold and the ignition lights illuminate. The car doesn?t have an immobiliser and the effect seems too widespread to an ECU fault. Does anybody have any ideas?

Edited by piper on 06/11/2008 at 08:37

Electrical fault 1.4 petrol DOHC - stunorthants26
AGE OF CAR?
Electrical fault 1.4 petrol DOHC - Robin the Technician
Hi,
I suspect the alternator has failed. Once it stops charging it will then revert to using the power in the battery. When this has been used up, you get the total electical failure you experienced. If the alternator had been working it would have been producing enough electicity to keep you going at 40 mph. The fact that you had total electical failure at 40 mph indicates the alternator is not producing any power. I suggest you check the alternator belt and charge the battery. Once done, you should be able to start the car and using a multimeter across the battery, you should get 14volts when the engine is running. If its reading less then its likely to be alternator. Check the ignition lights work when you initially switch on prior to start up. If the ignition light is out its the alternator.

Hope this helps
Electrical fault 1.4 petrol DOHC - piper
The car a 1992 with the (then) optional cat. converter. Charged the battery, fitted it to another car this one started and and worked fine. Put it back on the Rover the fault was unchanged. Drive belt to alternater is ok. I still can't figure out why the temperature gauge goes off the scale when you turn anything on, even without the key in the ignition.
Electrical fault 1.4 petrol DOHC - elekie&a/c doctor
May be a good idea to check the main battery earth to the engine and also the earth lead to the body.hth