Strange Road Markings - Red Red Robin
Dear Backroomers,

Either I am hallucinating or concentric multi coloured circles have appeared in fifty yards of Roehampton Lane south west London. There is a sign nearby indicating there are "experimental road markings".

Has anyone in the Backroom seen similar trials?
Does any one know the purpose of these markings ?
What is the psychology of these schemes?

Strange Road Markings - Tom Shaw
They're targets. If Ken's congestion charging doesn't work he's going to bomb us.
Strange Road Markings & Red Ken - BrianW
On congestion charging, we've had a questionaire at work asking for comments on reversing the traffic flow in Warren Street to stop people using it to bypass the inevitable gridlock on Euston Road when the charging scheme comes into operation.
I am looking for a job outside London!
Strange Road Markings - Jonathan {p}
Hi

These could be something to do with cars or motoring, or nothing at all.

It could be what is known as 'war chalking'.

There are people who put signs on pavements in London (and other large cities) which tell people in the know, where they can connect to wireless computer systems and surf the net. Different signs are for different frequecies, and different speeds and signal strengths.

www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_643365.html?menu=

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1860241.stm

Regards

Jonathan
Strange Road Markings - Mark (RLBS)
Paint testing.
Strange Road Markings - Steve Brautigan
yeah is paint testing - there was an article about it in Auto Express a few weeks a go. They made them circles as they though lines may confuse people.
Strange Road Markings - Dwight Van Driver
.....urban branch of the Crop Circle Society?

DVD
Strange Road Markings - Brill {P}
RRR,

I also pass these target shapes every day. They are in the centre of the road, so cars don't tend to drive over them, which suggests they are not there to check wear and tear of the paint. For those that have not seen them they appear circular in perspective (to the driver) but are elliptical when viewed from above. Red and white target-like shapes, a few appear over a 50 metre stretch.

S.
Strange Road Markings - Red Red Robin
Thanks for your replies, particularly Steve B

I have read the article at the Autoexpress site.

I agree with Brill most traffic would miss these targets.

Regards

RRR
Strange Road Markings - Obsolete
Driving round Torquay I braked sharply when I saw a large arrow on the road ahead indicating I was driving the wrong way down a one way street. It turned out that they had reversed the direction of a one way street without properly removing the old markings which were as clearly visible as many 'correct' ones are.
Strange Road Markings - whitelines
we usually have a standard for road markings.. www.whitelines.com.au im not sure what you have seen..maybe some young kids decided to paint circles for the fun off it..if you have a picture please post :)