2001 1.9 drive shaft - vonny
I recently before encountering this problem.down and 2 mechanics, 1 was the AA rescue man told me my clutch had gone. I replaced the clutch only to find the car still would not drive. On closer inspection the splines on the drive shaft were completely sheared off. I replaced the drive shaft. Since then it has not been easy to change gear between 1st and 2nd. Tonight I broke down again, and it's the drive shaft, same side once again. This drive shaft has only been in the car just over 2 months. Has anyone had similar problems with the Scenic Megane? Am I fated to having to replace the drive shaft every couple of months? I'd had the car for 18 months before this with no problems at all.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2008 at 00:02

51 1.9 drive shaft - tony@tooting
Vonny,
I take it the side you replaced was the O/S? (Drivers side if it's RHD.) If so, did you replace just the shaft, or the splined shaft from the gearbox as well?
51 1.9 drive shaft - vonny
You have to understand you're talking to a woman now! I saw what was replaced and it was the shaft and I was shown the bit where the splines had sheared off mine and what the new one looked like. Oh and it was all in one piece. Does that answer your question. Sorry I only know how to drive not how they work.
Vonny,
On your invoice, is there a part munber written down for the driveshaft? If you have that, I could see exactly what has been replaced. Anything that is "splined" will have a male spline and a corresponding female spline. If the splines have worn, then replacing just one (Male or female) will only reduce the wear by 50%. It may be that parts that were damaged have both been replaced in one shaft, but without the part number I wont know for sure.
Also, how do you know the same side has failed?
51 1.9 drive shaft - vonny
Shaftec R211AR, the complete unit. Is that what you wanted? I'm only enquiring about this cos my ex-husband is saying it's the way I drive that has caused this to happen!
Vonny.
Dont worry about the exhusband. After all, he's only a man.........
I'll see if I can crossreferance the number over the next couple of days, as there are two "R's" in the part number I suspect that it will turn out to be the right one.