Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - oilrag
During re-generation,with particulate filter equipped diesels, do injectors really blast fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, wetting bores and contaminating oil?

Or is there a separate injector just upstream of the DPF?

Is there a better engineering solution to cleaning a particulate filter?

From the engines perspective, is DPF the mechanical equivalent of `fouling your own nest`and if so, why?

Anything else you can think of describing the system as?

Regards
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - Screwloose

I can think of several expletives to describe the madness of a DPF; but I don't think the mod's would approve...

The excess fuel is injected post-TDC on the combustion stroke as the piston is already retreating. This means that it doesn't combust in the engine, but burns in the DPF - with all the nightmares those things are causing.....
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - mss1tw
It's OK on diesels isn't it as the fuel is naturally a lubricant - not least one that is capable of lubing the high pressure fuel pump.
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - Number_Cruncher
>>the fuel is naturally a lubricant

Think of it as a better lubricant than petrol, but in no way comparable to engine oil. Phrased another way - your engine wouldn't last long if you filled your sump with diesel.
Oh yeah I appreciate that - but engine oil doesn't get into the cylinder under normal conditions either (Hopefully!) so it must count as more lubricated than normal if the fuel isn 't igniting?
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - billy25
>>Is there a better engineering solution to cleaning a particulate filter?<<

Quite an intensive Wikipedia entry this subject, which is far too techy for me to try to understand, but..... it does mention electrical regeneration of the particulate filter, which to my mind would seem to be more Engine friendly than fuel burn off?

Billy
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - mfarrow
Oh yeah I appreciate that - but engine oil doesn't get into the cylinder

There will be a thin film of oil on the cylinder bores after each stroke. I suppose the extra diesel doesn't help and could be analogous to petrol bore washing on a rich mix, though that's mostly a cold start & fuel condensing problem.
>>but engine oil doesn't get into the cylinder under normal conditions either

Sorry!, it does. All piston engines burn some oil - it's just that when you read the level on the dipstick, it isn't necessarily all oil that your reading the depth of.

Sorry! it does. All piston engines burn some oil - it's just that when you
read the level on the dipstick it isn't necessarily all oil that your reading the
depth of.

Good point!
It's not a particularly new solution - most lambda sensor and cat equipped cars have used some overfuelling and late ignition timing after cold starts to allow the burn to continue in the exhaust front pipe to give faster "light off" of the lambda sensor and cat - sometimes coupled with secondary air injection.

Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - Lud
Funny that these trick electronic modern engines have to run rich and retarded for cold starts just like traditional carburetted, contact breaker units from the middle ages.

Can't really complain about their reliability though, although their faults, when they occur, are often puzzling to us simple old peasant types. All seems a bit gratuitous sometimes.

But the thread is about diesels and yet another undeveloped, wasteful, troublesome, expensive device being foisted on us by greedy car firms and venal politicians. There isn't a satisfactory way of eliminating carcinogenic diesel particulates from exhaust yet, obviously. Hapless car purchasers are being sacrificed to the development programme of this thing. It is fraud.

As with petrol engines, the best way to make them clean is to make them efficient.
Engine fouls own nest - `food` goes into wrong end - Bagpuss
But the thread is about diesels and yet another undeveloped wasteful troublesome expensive device being
foisted on us by greedy car firms and venal politicians.

Well, considering that Diesel Particle Filters were first introduced in passenger cars in 1985, it's not as though the manufacturers haven't had time to get their act together.

Unfortunately, the approach initially adopted by the EU of relying the manufacturers to do something voluntarily about diesel emissions didn't work as noone unilaterally wanted to pass the cost on to a customer base who refuse to pay for something that cleans what comes out of their exhaust. So the EU eventually took the big stick approach instead.

As someone living in a city, I'm pleased something was done about it. The drop in air quality here over the last 10 years is noticeable and I'm sure it's not coincidence that this coincided with the boom in diesel powered cars.