Don't you just love the Italians? - akr
You might have seen the other day in the papers that the Italian police have just taken delivery of their new Gallardo. Click on the link below to see the pictures - they come from the German Auto Express. You really have to hand it to them.

www.autobild.de/artikel/lamborghini-gallardo-della...l

Somehow I just can't imagine seeing West Yorkshire plod piling down the M1 in one of these!!!!
Don't you just love the Italians? - Halmer
If I was a copper eligible to drive it I'd make sure that the keys were hidden in my shoe.
Don't you just love the Italians? - martint123
Someone on Eurosport was saying it was justified by having a cooler/refrigerator in the "boot" for transporting urgent transplant parts. Well they have to keep their cool somehow ;)
Don't you just love the Italians? - frazerjp
Didn't a constabulary over here once purchased a Lotus Espirit for the traffic police about 10 years ago?
What happened to that?
Don't you just love the Italians? - Mr.Tee43
It probably broke down !
Don't you just love the Italians? - Pugugly
Surrey Police I think had a Ford RS200 in he 80s.
Don't you just love the Italians? - Lud
It's just a Lamborghini ad really. Not a suitable chase vehicle at all or practical by any stretch of the imagination.

What they (and mlc no doubt) really need is specially strengthened Audi RS4s or better, the really rapid modern V8 ones, but they will need proper bumpers.

:o}
Lose that at the first speed hump by simply mimsing across in the Rommie then blowing the perusing carabini a raspberry from the other side.
Don't you just love the Italians? - Altea Ego
Surrey Police I think had a Ford RS200 in he 80s.

And they had a Lotus Carlton. Oft seen on the A3......
Don't you just love the Italians? - Sofa Spud
Lambourghini.....pffft!!!

I reckon this was better:
www.derbysulzers.com/37093gatesheadpolice.jpg
Don't you just love the Italians? - scipi
Article is not very accurate. Italian police have a few now, none of them paid for by the state - all "donated".... and mainly used in South and Central Italy. They are used on the autostrada's for high speed chases and to transport human organs both of which can be done more safley by helicopter. Only every see one here up north and it was driven by a male cop who looked like he had eaten his way through a cake shop. Dont know how he gets in and out of the car.
none of them paid
for by the state - all "donated"

Just as I thought, a Lamborghini ad...
Don't you just love the Italians? - Alby Back
I expect the big fella just won't part with the keys.

- 'ey Luigi, eeza my turn for the Lambo no ?
- You feela lucky Marco ?
- Aw come on eeza my turn, I'ma seek of the Panda....
- You want 'em you come anda get 'em.....
- LUIGI !!!!!
Don't you just love the Italians? - DP
I would have thought a Scooby or Evo would be the ultimate all round pursuit car, on the grounds that they're quick, reliable, handy in corners, have a bit of ground clearance, and AWD for those inevitable occasions when the scrote takes to the fields or the park.

We were admiring a Sussex Police Lotus Exige at Goodwood last year, but the ground clearance at the front would have disabled it at the first whiff of a speed ramp. We mentioned this to the officer who admitted "it could be a problem." :-)
Italian state police seem to use everything for pursuit. I have seen them using BMW's and Subaru's on the autostrada's. Only problem is that State police here are lazy, incompetent and corrupt. You call the police only if you need assistance the next day, you call the carabinieri if you need life saving assistance. State police here is just jobs for Southern Italians who are too lazy to work or cannot get anything better. Carabinieri are para military and dont snip around.

Edited by Pugugly on 27/10/2008 at 21:33

By pursuit cars, I am talking about undercover cars. General Italian police car is still Fiats and Alfha's and for rural area's Subaru's (I think Foresters).
Don't you just love the Italians? - Bagpuss
The italian police using Lamborghinis is actually nothing new, and as mentioned in the article, the new one is a replacement for a 4 year old Gallardo that has clocked up 140,000km in 4 years of service. I bet there isn't another Lambo on the planet that has been driven that far. I've seen the police Gallardos a couple of times, a spectacular sight (and sound) indeed.

Many years ago, the german police used Porsches but they've long since been retired in favour of helicopters.

Didn't the Dutch use some Porsche Targa tops and carried some amusing looking table tennis bats and wear some very camp leather helmets ?

Edited by Pugugly on 27/10/2008 at 21:36

Don't you just love the Italians? - Alby Back
Maybe, but some would have to accept the possibility that it was just another thing which passed through their mind after a good night out in Amsterdam............might be true though.

Yeaaaah pingety ping pong........................got a light man??

;-)
That would explain quite a lot.
Started with the German customs police around 1950 or a bit later. Their normal cars couldn't keep up with US servicemen smuggling coffee in their Buicks and so on, a profitable scam as coffee was heavily taxed in Germany but not in Belgium. Chased by jolly little 356s, the naughty GIs would either crash trying to escape or be caught.

Edited by Lud on 28/10/2008 at 00:19