Yaris 1.3 TR - Gerry Nimmo
A couple of weeks ago I bought one of these from a Toyota dealer. It was 6 months old and has done 4000 miles. It seemed to be in decent condition and I got it at a good price - £7500.

I tried a few Yaris's and this one seemed typical, a bit noisy and not that well finished but that's what you get.

Since I had the car, it has been back to the dealer 4 times for poor running and clutch judder, and once more to another dealer when it refused to start. Each time it has been in I have asked for the poorly fitting glove boxes to be looked at and each time I have been told that they are normal.

Today I got the V5 and found out that I am the third owner! I contacted the previous owner and he refused to speak with me other than to say his solicitor was dealing with it. I found some paperwork that related to the original owner, he was a bit more helpful but basically said the car was a shed and he had got it replaced. His wife was really unhappy with the replacement so they sold that one at three months old.

This really concerns me and I suspect that a row with the dealer is about to start. Any ideas other than going to a solicitor or trading standards?

Yaris 1.3 TR - CarNovice28
Hi Gerry

Have a look at the Consumer Direct website:

www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-.../

Yaris 1.3 TR - Avant
Are you anywhere near Octagon at Bracknell, Gerry? They will certainly sort it for you. Elder daughter is on her third 1.3 Yaris from there and all have been faultless - the current one obviously so far.

You've bewen unlucky. There is clearly the occasional bad example even of Japanese cars - someone else on here posted about a bad Yaris a few months ago (perhaps the previous owner?!), and there have been well-documented Honda woes, though significantly never about unreliability with the Jazz.
Yaris 1.3 TR - Gerry Nimmo
Have to be very careful here as this is one of the dealers that I have visited since buying the Yaris and I was really not at all impressed by them - enough said I think.

Back to the supplying dealer and I finally got to meet with the dealer principal on Thursday. Lots of hand wringing and feigned shock, especially when the "I want my money back" point was reached.

Reluctantly I agreed that they could have one attempt to make the car fit for purpose (I have this in writing) or I'd reject it and sue for my money. I went to the dealer as arranged on Friday, initially the service manager claimed to know nothing about the car.... then he changed tack and said he told me loads of times that this was a normal Yaris and I was wasting my time - never met this person before.

They gave me a 57 reg diesel Yaris until mine is fixed - should be Tuesday. Big problem, the wipers are not working and by the time I found out the service department had closed for the weekend. Secondly, in the limited drive I have had it is very, very noisy and rough and seems just as badly built as mine.

At a guess this is either going to end with a refund or me looking for a new car.
Yaris 1.3 TR - Sheldon
Sorry to hear about your dreadful Yaris , Gerry. I own a d4d model from new , which has suffered from minor elctrical problems and has even had a replaced steering rack. All fixed and covered under warranty . I have put 60,000 miles on mine, due to my job ,with no other factory related mishaps. I service my car every 10,000 miles with toyota.I originaly purchased mine with a view to reliablity , since my family have owned toyotas for the last 20years. However it would seem the old toyotas are more reliable than the new ones and I would consider buying something more exciteing and better built next time. Your car sounds dreadful, try any excuse to get rid of it if I were you.

goodluck,

Sheldon
Yaris 1.3 TR - emmer
Have just rejected a new Yaris 1.3 TR for intermittent clutch judder and a faulty passenger door lock, am awaiting dealer reply as I refuse to have a new car stripped down, has covered under 400 miles, did your new clutch cure the problem?
Yaris 1.3 TR - Keith B
I bought a new Yaris 1.3TR a few weeks ago. I have been a Toyota fan for several years owning first a used 1998 Corolla 1.3, then a used 2001 Yaris 1.3CDX, both completely reliable. I had a test drive before deciding to buy new and found the car fine. However my new car has a decidedly dodgy gear selector mechanism. Apparently this is a new gearbox design with cable operated selection. My problem is with the change from second to third. It is not positive and if I miss the change I can end up in 1st or 5th. The gear lever does not seem to centralise in the 3rd/4th gate. I have of course been back to the dealer and had a run out with a technician who could find no fault. I am trying to get the car back in for further investigation but I am waiting to hear from them. They are supposed to be working on a gearbox with a similar problem and will get back to me - I'm not holding my breath!

I'd be pleased to know if anyone is experiencing a similar problem - or is it me?
Yaris 1.3 TR - Keith B
Further to my last message I've got tired of waiting for a response from the dealer and fixed the problem myself. Just a little tweak. I wasn't a motor mechanic for 20 years for nothing. I'm not telling them how I did it though!