What is a boring car? - GroovyMucker
Every so often someone describes a car as "boring", and I wonder what they mean.

I can understand a car being badly-designed, badly-engineered, unsafe, fast, underpowered, ugly, ...

and I understand "boring" when applied to music, books, films etc ...

and I'm prepared for this to be one of those "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it" sort of questions (I do, after all, have an Avensis, which people seem to think boring) ...

but how can a car be boring?

Edited by GroovyMucker on 18/10/2008 at 09:44

What is a boring car? - L'escargot
We're back to Simon H and his "Driving is so boring, isn't it?" thread. It depends on your definition of boring.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/10/2008 at 10:13

What is a boring car? - Alby Back
I think you maybe nailed it on line 4. It is though, I agree, a nebulous sort of thing. Like clothes or houses which function perfectly well but might reasonably draw the same comment.
What is a boring car? - bimmer-driver
Something that does everything averagely well reliably day in day out.
What is a boring car? - Pendlebury
I think this is a good question actually.
You also read about a car having soul.
What a complete load of nonsense.
No matter how much we all enjoy cars they are just bits of metal and rubber - nothing else. What is so surprising for me is that after 100 years of making cars the western world still can't make reliable cars.
There is allot of tripe talked in the motoring press as we all know and the companies I admire most are the Japs as they will never deviate from their principles of reliability, durability and customer service before building an "exciting" car that appeals to a journalist. HJ once reported on the rear suspension of the Avensis and how the rear suspension design could handle allot more grip but instead was designed to reduce wear on the bushes - hence be more reliable. So in that sense people may say that the Avensis is boring because the fun factor was scaled down to improve reliability. Me I would rather be boring any day and have a car that I can rely on and pick up my mates from the Peugeot garage as they have the bushes in their exciting cars replaced.
What is a boring car? - Robin Reliant
Pendlebury 's got it.

A boring car is one that is sitting outside your house having broken down yet again while you are trudging to the bus stop in the rain. I've had my share of those.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 18/10/2008 at 12:19

What is a boring car? - gordonbennet
I had a boring car once, A Nissan bluebird estate, remember i was a lot younger then and still as daft as a brush...steady...it was my first Japanese car and it was boring in so far as it never went wrong, something i was strangely enough quite disgusted at, i can't quite fathom out the thinking either.

So i'd find lots of jobs to do on it, as it somehow didn't feel right not fixing the thing constantly.
Believe it or not i went as far as checking things like the cam chain timing, in the vain hope of finding something less than perfect, no hope there.

It did have faults, the main one being it was only a 4 speed, (the saloons came with 5 speed, but it wasn't a simple box/diff swap) and was very low geared, so the engine was screaming at high speed, having said that it seemed to thrive on it. As for other faults...er none.

Thinking back now i never new where the Datsun dealer was, unlike the Ford dealer where i was for many years on first name terms at the parts desk.
What is a boring car? - BazzaBear {P}
A boring car is a car which is a white good and nothing more.
An interesting car on the other hand does not have to be unreliable. This is just a tired cliche which seems to be trotted out by those people with reliable cars which are unfortunately also boring.
Whatever makes you feel better fellas! ;)
What is a boring car? - NowWheels
An exciting car is a toy one owned by a child. The child still has a very narrow focus of interest, and can use the toy car as the starting point for creative play.

A boring car is one owned or used by an adult, who has a much wider and more highly developed sense of all that the world has to offer. The car cannot stir the soul like a work of art, refocus one's world-view like a great piece of literature, incite lust like an attractive person, stimulate the senses like good food or drink, alter consciousness like hallucinogens, give spiritual sustenance, nor return love like another living being can do.

The car is a tool, a machine which may do its desired job well or do it badly, and it may in some circumstances be used for tasks which cause excitement; driving fast or adventurously, or propelling its occupants towards something exciting (whether that's a football match or a lover, a new job or a reunion with friends). A well-crafted tool of any type may of course offer great satisfaction, but the excitement for an adult is in the use, not in the tool.
What is a boring car? - Paul Robinson
It don't think it's as simple as that NowWheels. Motoring writers have called cars 'metal overcoats' and I think it's a good simile. Is a coat just a 'tool' to keep you warm and dry. Do you choose a coat just on that basis, or are there other considerations?
What is a boring car? - nortones2
All cars apart from a small percentage of hand built are from enormous production lines. Saying some similar products are white goods, and others are "interesting" betrays more about the commentator than the product. I can see that to a driver of a performance car, or maybe a plutocratic MB, lesser vehicles, i.e. compromised, or just cheaper, would be looked at askance:) Differentiating between a Jazz and an equally modest vehicle seems to be taking things too far! Delusional I calls it.
What is a boring car? - jase1
> Differentiating between a Jazz and an equally modest vehicle seems to be taking things too far!

Indeed.

A Punto, Clio or 207 is every bit as 'boring' as a Jazz, Micra or Colt.

An interesting car is something like an Alfa, Subaru or Porsche. Not some naff little Renault Megane.
What is a boring car? - nortones2
+1, Jase.
What is a boring car? - Dog
>>>The car is a tool, a machine which may do its desired job well or do it badly<<<

Perhaps this is the way you see a car NW, but to others a car is much more than just a means of getting from A to B ... With many of us, a car is an extension of his/her personality, something to behold, to cherish, to lavish love and money upon, , to form an attachment to, to personalise - even a 'boring' car.
I drive a fairly boring car, an Almera 1.8, most bread & butter cars are boring (IMO), I'd rather drive an exciting car like a red MX5, a silver BMW 335 convertible or even a humble? VW Eos than a 'boring' car anyday but ... needs must etc., etc. maybe I am just a child - at heart!
What is a boring car? - Kevin
>The car cannot stir the soul like a work of art, refocus one's world-view like a great piece of
>literature, incite lust like an attractive person, stimulate the senses like good food or drink,
>alter consciousness like hallucinogens, give spiritual sustenance, nor return love like
>another living being can do.

What an odd statement.

An E-Type Jaguar or a DB4 Zagato isn't a work of art?

The wail of a Ferrari or Alfa, the deep rumble of an American V8 doesn't stir the soul?

A Mercedes 500K Roadster doesn't incite lust?

My XJ doesn't love me? My Chevy is having an affair with next door's Boxster?

You're in the wrong forum again NW.

Kevin...
What is a boring car? - Number_Cruncher
>>You're in the wrong forum again NW

It's funny you should say that. That post has probably been the closest I have ever been to agreeing with No(w)Wheels.

Cars are mass produced stampings, castings, forgings. There's really little difference between them and the white goods in your kitchen.

I'm glad that I haven't bought into the marketing department's spin that the car you drive says something about you - it's a line that has made the manufacturer's many millions!
>It's funny you should say that. That post has probably been the closest I have ever been to agreeing
>with No(w)Wheels.

NW's posts in the "Insurance blunder" thread were excellent, they matched my feelings exactly. On this occassion I disagree.

>Cars are mass produced stampings, castings, forgings.
>There's really little difference between them and the white goods in your kitchen.

If you look at it purely in terms of manufacturing methods you are correct but I think that most people have a bigger emotional involvement with their car than their fridge.

>I'm glad that I haven't bought into the marketing department's spin that the car you drive says
>something about you

The marketing departments didn't create it or spin it, they simply took advantage of it. It's called the mating ritual and however much you protest, the car you drive does say something about you. It's as much a statement about yourself as the clothes you wear.

My daily-driver says that I'm an old pink fluffy dice who values ride quality and comfort more than economy or fashion. My weekend car says that I'm a middle-aged hooligan.

I wouldn't like to say what my fridge says about me.

Kevin...

Edited by Webmaster on 20/10/2008 at 01:02

What is a boring car? - Big Bad Dave
"My daily-driver says that I'm an old pink fluffy dice who values ride quality and comfort more than economy or fashion."

I've found a nice car for you Kevin. Autotrader - Super V8 with individual rear seats, rear entertainment system and piped ivory leather.

Might be a bit old for you though, it's a 99 with 100k and it's going for 6999. Everything I'm looking for but 6 months too early.

"I wouldn't like to say what my fridge says about me"

Mine would say that I eat a lot of corned beef with pickles and drink a lot of vodka.
BBD,

I'm really looking for something a bit younger.

Having said that, I'd be very tempted by that one except for the paint. It has a good spec and it's one helluva lot of car for peanuts, but Sherwood Green isn't exactly my favorite.

>Mine would say that I eat a lot of corned beef with pickles and drink a lot of vodka.

Mmm, you've just ignited one of those odd cravings for "comfort food" - corned beef hash like my mum used to make when I was a kid.

Kevin...
What is a boring car? - Big Bad Dave
Kevin, I posted this for you on 20 Oct, 40 days or so ago...

"I've found a nice car for you Kevin. Autotrader - Super V8 with individual rear seats, rear entertainment system and piped ivory leather.

Might be a bit old for you though, it's a 99 with 100k and it's going for £6999. Everything I'm looking for but 6 months too early."

Well I've been browsing the Super V8s again and that car is still on there except it's now at £4850

Tempted to dip a toe in? You didn't like the colour (neither do I) but it does look prettier the cheaper it gets.

If it's still on there in March / April I'm having it.

Dave
A boring car is one owned or used by an adult who has a much
wider and more highly developed sense of all that the world has to offer.

Well of course anyone who disagrees with your 'motoring is a semi-necessary evil' views must be a child!

If a 'wider and highly developed sense of all the world has to offer' means that you can't enjoy a good car, what else does it mean you can't enjoy?
Snooker is quite a specific thing to enjoy. With a wider awareness of what the world has to offer, I should probably realise it's a bit stupid and go do something else. Similar with my wifes cross-stitching. I will inform her that she needs to find something more 'wide-ranging' to occupy her time.
Could you give a list of things which adults are allowed to enjoy?

The car cannot stir the soul like a work of art

Why can't it? If the appreciation of beauty in something which is sold as art is allowed, then why not the appreciation of beauty in something which happens to be sold as a vehicle?
Give me one reason why it is impossible for a car to create exactly the same response as a painting.

The car is a tool a machine which may do its desired job well or
do it badly and it may in some circumstances be used for tasks which cause
excitement;

I can drive to work in my own car, or my wifes. In either case I drive in exactly the same way. There's no point in overtaking, there is too much traffic in rush hour and the drive is only 30 minutes anyway. I cruise along in formation, doing nothing that could be classed as an activity 'causing excitement'. Yet doing so in my car is a pleasant experience. Doing so in my wifes car is a chore.

>> A well-crafted
tool of any type may of course offer great satisfaction but the excitement for an
adult is in the use not in the tool.

Oh yes, I was forgetting, I'm a child for not sharing your likes and dislikes. Clearly it's pointless my commenting then.
An interesting car on the other hand does not have to be unreliable.

This is true -- but I think there is a lot to be said for the theory that fans of unreliable cars have a tendency to carp on about 'character' as it is the only thing they have.

Hence the appearance of boring=reliable. A Fiat Stilo is one of the most boring cars to drive I have ever experienced -- and I've driven some rubbish -- and it is also unreliable.
What is a boring car? - Sofa Spud
Put it this way - a Ferrari would be boring if you HAD to drive it several hundred miles a day, day after day on the same roads, within the law, as a job! Eventually you'd get tired of the noise and wish you were doing something else.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/10/2008 at 15:51

What is a boring car? - Bagpuss
This question is really very easy to answer. A boring car is one in which the number of seats equals or exceeds the number of engine cylinders.
What is a boring car? - mike hannon
>The car cannot stir the soul like a work of art, refocus one's world-view like a great piece of literature, incite lust like an attractive person, stimulate the senses like good food or drink, alter consciousness like hallucinogens, give spiritual sustenance...<

Well, the rest of you can think what you like - I may be 58 years old and been round the block a few times so I know a bit about works of art, politics, lust and good food and drink, but the Bentley Continental R does all that for me.

Luckily, I pay for my own cars so I don't know anything about what might be boring.
What is a boring car? - Pendlebury
Good one Mike
What is a boring car? - Pugugly
I ended up driving a Suzuki something yesterday - whilst the Roomie is an utility car in my view, this one took the word utility and plumbed new depths with it.
What is a boring car? - Blue {P}
I think any car that doesn't make you smile is boring.

My Mondeo is boring in most people's eyes, but by goodness it makes me smile when I hear all 6 cylinders singing away under the bonnet propelling me forwards with a smooth wave of power.

I had all the rust cut away the other week and fresh wheelarches welded on, the guy that did it said that he doesn't normally work on cars as old as mine (2000 W reg) as by that time most people would rather just buy a new one! £400 later and I have an immaculate and rust free car, why buy a new one when the old one still makes you smile?

Edited by Webmaster on 19/10/2008 at 00:46

What is a boring car? - Lud
You make the point Blue that modern machinery properly maintained and not abused will outlast some of the bodywork.

Personally I think £400 was a bargain to keep a nice car you know you like. Sort of superior bangernomics. I find it mildly irritating when people faff about getting rid of their perfectly decent jalopies because they will soon need a cambelt change.

Edited by Lud on 19/10/2008 at 01:09

Personally I think £400 was a bargain to keep a nice car you know you
like. Sort of superior bangernomics. I find it mildly irritating when people faff about getting
rid of their perfectly decent jalopies because they will soon need a cambelt change.

Yeah that irritates me as well generally, although I did once change my BMW for a similar reason (rust on all 4 corners) but that was also partly because I really fancied a convertible and I used it as an excuse, wish I hadn't now as I loved that car really and only noticed just how much I loved it after I had sold it.

I think if I'd known about this particular painter that did the Mondeo when I had the BMW I probably would have just had it done, I never thought it would be so cheap to have so much of the bodywork replaced!

To be honest, I don't even know why the people on the other side of the argument to me, those who have 'reliable cars' and sneer at people who aim for interesting, bother.

If you have bought your car purely to get you from A to B - entirely as something of utility and with no other consideration whatsoever - then why do you even care at all about what boring means? What it means is nothing to you.

It's not so much 'if you have to ask, then you'll never know' Pendlebury - it's more 'if you have to ask, then you don't actually care anyway'.

This is why such questions generally raise my suspicions that the question is posed merely as an excuse to point out how stupid those of a different frame of mind about motoring must be.
It's not a worry to me, people can think that I'm stupid if they like, I KNOW that a car is more than a utility, they're the ones in the wrong ;-)

What is a boring car? - cjehuk
A boring car is one that takes you from A to B in complete comfort but you can't remember any nuances of the journey. It's a car that does everything competently but nothing amazingly. It's a car that has some bad points but nothing that is a real deal breaker. A boring car never makes you smile and want to drive it just for the sake of driving.

There are many cars that can be considered boring... and not just far eastern cars - a BMW 320d is also boring, why? Because every man and his mothers dog has one. A 335d or 335i is an impressive machine, a 320d no more than a badged Mondeo TDCi. If you are going to buy a premium brand you might as well buy one that has something worth having (like a 6 cylinder + engine, lots of toys etc)
What is a boring car? - Alby Back
I dunno, I guess you can have a bit of fun in most cars if you are in the right mood or place or company. They only become especially tedious when they don't go really......

What is a boring car? - DP
I think it depends on the individual and how they view driving.

I know people who are completely unmoved by the sound of a Ferrari V12 or a 1960's American V8 on full chat. These are people for whom a car is an appliance, and held in no more regard or esteem than their refrigerator or tumble dryer. In contrast, I also know people who can excite themselves to the verge of heart failure if given the keys to a £500 French front driver, and a sequence of wet roundabouts. I would class myself in the latter category by the way.

I think every car I've owned has had areas where they've shone, and those where theyfrustrate, but can't remember the last one I drove or owned which did nothing badly or nothing well.

I also agree that a car has to work when you need it to, or else it is pointless.

Cheers
DP

A boring car is one that takes you from A to B in complete comfort but you can't remember any nuances of the journey.

- a BMW 320d is also boring why? Because every man and his mothers dog has one.

So why does everyone having one make a car unmemorable to drive from a personal perspective?

A car journey is interesting because you make it that way. You can have a really dull journey in an Evo or a really enjoyable one in a Primera -- it depends completely on your mood at the time.

The vast majority of 'dull' cars can be perfectly well chucked around corners. The only really boring cars in my view are the ones whose handling is so poor that you can't reliably take that corner a little too fast because you can't be sure what the wheels are doing. Such cars are pretty rare -- even the most anodyne of Nissans and Hyundais provide sufficient feedback to allow some enjoyment.

I will freely acknowledge that my Daewoo falls into that rare category -- it'll go round the bends without any fuss, but it feels as if you are controlling the front wheels by remote control. My definition of dull.

As for what others think, what it looks like, what plastics the interiors are made of -- pfft.

Edited by jase1 on 19/10/2008 at 03:17

What is a boring car? - stan10
hello everybody :- my first post,
i have recently bought a mondeo estate, and have seldom owned an "exciting" car, more often cars have been bought for a purpose. Surely there are no "boring" cars, if you are an enthusiastic driver isn't the excitement in taking any car up to ( or slightly over ) it's limit ? Going back aways, i am sure i had as much fun with my 850cc Hillman Imp as i did with a BMW 123d coupe (24hr test drive, and how quickly can you change up ?). In recent months i have tested test my skill getting the best MPG possible, though that might change now that i have taken early retirement, and the income v miles covered gap has narrowed .. Perhaps " boring " could be the driver rather than the car ?
What is a boring car? - nick
A boring car is one you don't look forward to driving. But as a child and not an adult, what would I know?
A boring car is one you don't look forward to driving.

Aye - you can talk about reasons and theories, but that's all it really comes down to.
What is a boring car? - OldSock
Indeed.

I once owned a Renault 9 and a Citroën CX a few years ago - both cars being of a similar vintage. The former was, without doubt, the most 'boring' car I've ever owned - by whatever definition you care to choose. The CX, on the other hand, was most definitely not....
What is a boring car? - Lud
Perhaps some cars are more boring than others. Anyone who gets to drive a lot of different state-of-the-art brand new cars will probably tell you so. But so will your own critical faculty.

Two things though.

1: Boring isn't necessarily bad in cars any more than it is in politicians or historical epochs. Indeed it is vastly preferable to 'interesting' as often as not.

2: Some people find even boring cars, bad ones, eccentric ones, jalopies, dogs and lethal sheds, more or less endlessly irresistible and fascinating. Of course if you are like that you think of it as a blessing but it has many of the characteristics of a curse.
What is a boring car? - mike hannon
The sage speaks...!
What is a boring car? - nick
But where's the onion?
What is a boring car? - oilrag
"but how can a car be boring?"

Only through personality attributes.

Do you see a simple object such as a Jubilee clip as boring? Or could you research it and write a 2,500 word assignment about it?

A car, any car.. ..............